www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Auctions - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Auctions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
Two points.

The Whiskyshop are sharks who are lucky that my partner was with me when I last visited them as they were so rude and unhelpful that I saw red and told them where they could
You can still pick up Glenturret 30s for £350 from MoM or similar. In fact Serge reecently reviewed one and scored it 90 IIRC.

Go figure why these ones are still available at what these days appears to be a fair(ish) price.

look at this from the whisky shop

https://www.whiskyshop.com/loch-lomond-45-year-old

a 45 year loch Lomond for £3450, got the email at 13:40 when I checked at 14:15 their allocation is all sold out, just like the older Glenturret bottles we mentioned earlier in this thread that were already sold when the email to buy went out

Specifically on the subject of loch lomond whisky I know they have made some decent gains and improvement in quality in recent years but I did laugh when the said this was part of the Remarkable Stills range celebrating their straight neck pot stills.
I have tried old loch Lomond from the 60's and 70's while it was ok it was far from remarkable, if they knocked a 0 off the price i might be interested. Smile

Southcoast Boy
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too down about the whisky market these days. I used to go mad for all the latest releases, but then found them near impossible to get hold of. Try getting any springbank release these days. Don't even go down the daftmill route. Anyway, there are plenty of other releases where consumers don't think are investment worthy or instantly flippable, and the quality is as good as these unicorn bottles. Take the recent glen scotia 10 yo festival bottling, or Glenallachie 10 yo cask strength. Both easily bought at incredible value and quality.

Don't worry, there will always be accessible, well priced whisky with great quality to go.

As others here say, you can also pick up the odd bottle from auctions if you have to. I got a bunnahabhain feis ile 2020 bottling about a month after they were released last year and paid 185 all in which was 15 pound cheaper than the instantly sold out retail. Just imagine the flippers red face when that one sold. Possibly lost about 50 quid. They don't always win.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southcoast Boy wrote:
I wouldn't get too down about the whisky market these days. I used to go mad for all the latest releases, but then found them near impossible to get hold of. Try getting any springbank release these days. Don't even go down the daftmill route. Anyway, there are plenty of other releases where consumers don't think are investment worthy or instantly flippable, and the quality is as good as these unicorn bottles. Take the recent glen scotia 10 yo festival bottling, or Glenallachie 10 yo cask strength. Both easily bought at incredible value and quality.

Don't worry, there will always be accessible, well priced whisky with great quality to go.

As others here say, you can also pick up the odd bottle from auctions if you have to. I got a bunnahabhain feis ile 2020 bottling about a month after they were released last year and paid 185 all in which was 15 pound cheaper than the instantly sold out retail. Just imagine the flippers red face when that one sold. Possibly lost about 50 quid. They don't always win.

yes wise words, there have been a few Bunnahabhain 28 Year Old Untold Riches Wemyss that went at auction for £160-£170, so no great gains there with the £150 starting price, lots of people purchased multiple buys to flip etc

i also agree about well priced whisky to a point but sometimes the quality is not there any more but there is always Glenmorangien 10 Smile
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
Two points.

The Whiskyshop are sharks who are lucky that my partner was with me when I last visited them as they were so rude and unhelpful that I saw red and told them where they could go.

You can still pick up Glenturret 30s for £350 from MoM or similar. In fact Serge reecently reviewed one and scored it 90 IIRC.

1986, bottled 2014 Glenturret for £129

https://hedonism.co.uk/product/glenturret-famous-grouse-commonwealth-games-limited-edition-1986
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spot - I’d forgotten about that and I’ve got a bottle too!
mattnfg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - the 30 YO for £350 (old bottle style) seems fairly sensible, where as £1,600 for the new 30YO seems crazy - do they really think that the new bottle design justifies the £1,250 increase.

I mean, it is a nice bottle, but come on!

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
Good spot - I’d forgotten about that and I’ve got a bottle too!

what does it taste like, opinions vary with this one but agree it is a decent price.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a bit flat TBH. From memory it didn’t feel that old and I wouldn’t be surprised if it used a rejuvenated cask to finish. Quite tropical like an Irish number.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
It’s a bit flat TBH. From memory it didn’t feel that old and I wouldn’t be surprised if it used a rejuvenated cask to finish. Quite tropical like an Irish number.

Thank WM, appreciated.
maltmad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually at auctions, with proper skill and sobriety, you can buy a bottle at a great price. But to do so, you have to take your time and be able to wait. And if you use services to analyse and track trends in the secondary whisky market, it takes very little time.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maltmad wrote:
Usually at auctions, with proper skill and sobriety, you can buy a bottle at a great price. But to do so, you have to take your time and be able to wait. And if you use services to analyse and track trends in the secondary whisky market, it takes very little time.

This a few years ago i would have agreed with but since investors and speculators have piled into the whisky scene this does not apply and no amount of gimmicky market trackers and investment tools are going to change that.
I have studied auctions for many years, there are very few real bargains about these days.
Your best bet is perhaps finding a relatively new auction site that fewer people know about and even then their early auctions sometimes reach high amounts and being completely honest, some of those high amounts are suspect anyway?
The best skill to have when dealing with auction sites is knowing when to stop bidding, that is the only skill you need.
maltmad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:

The best skill to have when dealing with auction sites is knowing when to stop bidding, that is the only skill you need.

Truly the most valuable skill.
Regarding special software for finding and buying whisky - I'm fine with whiskyhunter.net for my needs.

Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately auction prices have been going down. You can buy a fair amount of stuff now at better prices - especially after Brexit and as some auction houses have split EU / UK bottlings. You can easily get some ludicrous 20+ indies for under £100 or shortly north of that (inc. fees), while for less rare bottlings I don't find it that convenient, given the ripoff fees involved.

I kind of feel the vast majority of bidding is made by bots rather than humans, hence why some juicy bottlings that aren't as palatable to flippers often to unnoticed and you can buy them ez.

What remains imho an absolute nonsense is the fact the auction ends "from 7 pm" when in fact you're lucky if it actually ends at 10. That fuels FOMO and panic-bid at their highest, can't blame the auction houses for that really.
Uncle Bobby
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drame Blanche wrote:
Lately auction prices have been going down. You can buy a fair amount of stuff now at better prices - especially after Brexit and as some auction houses have split EU / UK bottlings. You can easily get some ludicrous 20+ indies for under £100 or shortly north of that (inc. fees), while for less rare bottlings I don't find it that convenient, given the ripoff fees involved.

I kind of feel the vast majority of bidding is made by bots rather than humans, hence why some juicy bottlings that aren't as palatable to flippers often to unnoticed and you can buy them ez.

What remains imho an absolute nonsense is the fact the auction ends "from 7 pm" when in fact you're lucky if it actually ends at 10. That fuels FOMO and panic-bid at their highest, can't blame the auction houses for that really.

I too have noticed an easing of prices for some bottles but prices for what I call "Premier League" whiskies are holding up. For example Macallan Folio 1's are still making £8k+ following a minor dip a couple of months ago. Still bargain drinkers out there though. Happy hunting!
maltmad

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a seasonal change in prices. And prices will have to go up from around October onwards. At least that is what I think from Google Trands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: