www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Ardgowan distillery

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ardgowan distillery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Ardgowan distillery Reply with quote

What's people's thoughts on the new Ardgowan distillery? They haven't produced any of their own whisky yet for obvious reasons but they are the people behind the Expedition whisky some of which went to the south pole (I think it may be almost a homeopathic amount per bottle) and they are now producing some blends to keep them busy until their spirit is ready.
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the clydebuilt or Expedition blends and what your thoughts are. I'm not a big fan of gimmicky whisky as most of it I think is just an inflated price for an often not very remarkable whisky. I'm am considering the clydebuilt though and wondered if anyone thought it was worth a try.

official_grant

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ardgowan distillery Reply with quote

Jimny14 wrote:
What's people's thoughts on the new Ardgowan distillery? They haven't produced any of their own whisky yet for obvious reasons but they are the people behind the Expedition whisky some of which went to the south pole (I think it may be almost a homeopathic amount per bottle) and they are now producing some blends to keep them busy until their spirit is ready.
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the clydebuilt or Expedition blends and what your thoughts are. I'm not a big fan of gimmicky whisky as most of it I think is just an inflated price for an often not very remarkable whisky. I'm am considering the clydebuilt though and wondered if anyone thought it was worth a try.

I am from down that way, and my Mum bought me a bottle of the Clydebuilt Coppersmith last year. Certainly the product is good, decent, full flavour. There's a sharpness to it and I'd say is a quality blend trying to compete in the single malt space.

You can look up the tasting notes from someone who knows better than me but there is certainly plenty about this for someone who enjoys their whisky with nothing or just ice.

The expedition seemed very much like a gimmick and I believe was crazy expensive.

Ultimately Whisky becomes a branding exercise and they seem to be going about things in the right way. Obviously the product today isn't necessarily going to reflect the output when they get going, but the branding is probably something that will continue.

I'm partial to a lowland whisky and given the locality of it, I'm sure I'll be getting some of their product when they get there.

In terms of the Coppersmith, you won't go wrong for a £50 bottle. I also see there is a Shipwright out at the same price point.
Jimny14
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, might give it a go. Will be interesting to see their price point for their own stuff in a few years.
official_grant

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimny14 wrote:
Thanks for the help, might give it a go. Will be interesting to see their price point for their own stuff in a few years.

Sounds like they haven't even built the distillery yet, so might be a few years.

The estate owner is the Shaw-Stewart family who are big landowners down there, but have obviously been diversifying and have a large wedding venue and now a start up whisky business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: