www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - MacAllan query..

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
MacAllan query..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieMac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: MacAllan query.. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and wondered if anyone could answer this...
I recently entered a ballot by MacAllan for a Peter Blake bottling? I and about 5 mates were unsuccesful. I founf that out on Saturday. Today (Sunday) I see that Master of Malt are running a ballot for the same whisky saying they have 40 bottles of it?

I suppose my question is are MacAllan taking the p**s with these ballots? Doesnt seem right to me..

Thank you for any views or opinions.

Steve

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of thing goes on all the time but for £750 why not buy a decent bottle that is worth the money rather than this overpriced sub standard whisky, with £750 between you there are some really good bottlings available to drink, why waste your time worrying about this particular bottling.
StevieMac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do buy decent ones to drink. This was as an investment as I reckon the govt are going to raid my pension pot before I can retire.

Thanks for the reply. 👍
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think i remember reading that these will also be on sale at retailers around the world. A ballot by macallan is not strictly exclusive in this case. They'll possibly just be selling their allocation this time around.

They've been taking the *** for a few years with bang average whisky, but someone has to pay for the new distillery...
StevieMac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks Dave. That kind of makes sense. Glad I didn't get one now if I'm honest . I won't be entering any more ballots that's for sure.
Fake exclusivity is clever as there'll always be someone new to it like I was. Very smart marketing.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballots in general can lead to whisky which will appreciate. Macallan's trend for some of its bottles to be balloted, even when they are going on general release is a good indication that the bottling will not make money in the short term. I think they started this silly approach on the original Estate bottling.

davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are doing 1600-1900 at Whisky Auctioneer this month Rolling Eyes
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:

That is crazy, I have never understood why any Macallan from the last 20 years or so is seemed so desirable.
If more people actually opened some of these bottles from time to time they would realise they have been fleeced.
People seemed to be blind to facts when it comes to Macallan, old Macallan is great, that is beyond dispute and even then sometimes is overscored.

Macallan now is like the British Leyland of the whisky world, promised a lot but never got close to delivering on those promise
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:

That is crazy, I have never understood why any Macallan from the last 20 years or so is seemed so desirable.
If more people actually opened some of these bottles from time to time they would realise they have been fleeced.
People seemed to be blind to facts when it comes to Macallan, old Macallan is great, that is beyond dispute and even then sometimes is overscored.

Macallan now is like the British Leyland of the whisky world, promised a lot but never got close to delivering on those promise

Trying to guess why bottles go high at auction is always useless when there's no context as to who is buying them. Could be a small group of rich enthusiasts, a money laundering thing, or just pure idiocy. Who knows.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:

Trying to guess why bottles go high at auction is always useless when there's no context as to who is buying them. Could be a small group of rich enthusiasts, a money laundering thing, or just pure idiocy. Who knows.

you are right, but i suspect most are investments of the higher end stuff at least Macallan is almost like a currency at the moment.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:

you are right, but i suspect most are investments of the higher end stuff at least Macallan is almost like a currency at the moment.

Perhaps for those that get it at retail. I'm not sure who is paying £2k for a 750 bottle. But this is the first auction they have appeared in and the silly numbers are in line with the usual trend for most new releases: peak first due to FOMO, drop later.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
davidbe wrote:

Perhaps for those that get it at retail. I'm not sure who is paying £2k for a 750 bottle. But this is the first auction they have appeared in and the silly numbers are in line with the usual trend for most new releases: peak first due to FOMO, drop later.

Indeed, things like this are best left to the FOMO brigade while people who actually know about whisky will go looking for something worth drinking Smile

STUDOGG37
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone did enter the Master of Malt ballot, did you see the rules Laughing

"It all sounds rather lovely. But this is The Macallan. This means this super fancy bottle is highly desirable. And seeing as we only have 40 bottles available, we’ve decided that a bottle lottery is the best way to sell this spirit.

Those of you who’ve seen any of our previous lotteries will know we do this because we want to be as fair as possible. As always, our sweary and handy post from 2016 will shed some more light on our policy.

We will approach this lottery the same as we have before. The action will be taking place on the product page. The timeline is below. The bottle will feature the message “I hereby swear not to sell this bottle – but to drink it with my chums. May my taste-buds and olfactory bulb shrivel and die if I should break my word.” For those of you who are lucky enough to win, dispatch will take place on the week beginning 19 April."
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
...a money laundering thing...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thinking that Laughing
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
davidbe wrote:
...a money laundering thing...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thinking that Laughing

They're up to £3.5k now. I notice 4 of them have consecutive lot numbers suggesting they're all from the same source...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: