www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Rosebank H2H X 9, 4 X OB + 5 X IB 1974-1991

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rosebank H2H X 9, 4 X OB + 5 X IB 1974-1991

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Rosebank H2H X 9, 4 X OB + 5 X IB 1974-1991 Reply with quote

This was the result of a H2H of 9 Rosebanks, all between good to excellent score wise, a very enjoyable evening.
All of them were cask strength except the 8 year unblended which more than held it's own in this company.
1st place goes to the 20 year Zenith Import and the 25 year with the 2007 Special Release a close 2nd, both of these are officially distillery bottles.

OB - 20 year 1987 Zenith Import 57% - 93/94/94 - 94p average
OB - 25 year 1981 25 61.4% 2007 Special Release - 93/93/94 - 93p average
IB - 27 year 1976 Signatory cask 2702 56.7- 90/92/94 - 92p average
IB - 30 year 1989 GM cask 2561 55% - 92/91/93 - 92p average
IB - 30 year 1974 DL, The Whisky Fair 55.8% - 93/92/91 - 92p average
IB - 30 year 1975 Silver Seal Sestante 54.8% -92/92/91 - 92p average
OB - 20 year 1981 Rare Malts 62.3- 89/91/90 - 90p average
IB - 25 year 1991 Cadenhead 175th Anniversary 50.5%- 91/90/90 - 90p average
OB - 8 year unblended mini 40% - 87/89/88 - 88p average

Tasted in this order :- , %abv increasing

1- 8 year unblended mini 40% 88 points average

I have tried the full bottle of this and scored it 88/89 points region.
These 8 year OB miniatures can be picked up for a reasonable price at auction.
There is a lot going on here for only 40% and I actually think this is quite heavy for the lowland style.
This was the warm up dram for another 8 cask strength Rosebanks in a H2H, this is a great start.
Nose
A light fragrant nose, on pineapple , green apple and hint of pear, almost like a tinned fruit cocktail from Del Monte but not quite a pronounced.
There is more to this than just the fruit, there is a slight chemical note, almost like very faint creosote?
Biscuit notes appear after a few minutes and then dried apricot .
Taste
eh, what is going on here?
This is quite heavy and there is also a decent dollop of peat , for a Rose bank anyway?
There is quite a lot of fruit here but it is stewed and far from sweet, like unripe plums, figs and slightly sour apple and green apple skins.
There is quite a lot of spice here and a touch of milk chocolate
Finish
The finish is long and warming, simple but pleasant if you like.

2 - 1975 silver seal 54.8& 92 points average

Notes for when a little water is added.
The tasting note has changed but the average score remains the same, a great Rosebank from the mid 1970's.
Nose
This smells quite heavy but it also has similarities with the un blended 8 year 40% OB I have just tasted.
Plenty of fruit on show here that has been stewed, plum, figure and mango mixed with cream, a touch of white pepper and other spices.
What I like about the nose is that there is a top layer of activity, which is like sugared almonds being slightly nutty mixed with chocolate and candy shells.
Finally after 5 minutes a cereal note appears which reminds me of the bourbon Daftmill releases.
Taste
This has a lot of spice and a lot of fruit but it is not the sweet fruit, so we are talking about slightly sour green apple, unripe pear and unripe mango, that said the white pepper and Ginger spice compliment the fruit.
This is quite heavy for a lowlander being chewy and there is a little peat in the mix.
Finish
good finish that retains the spice element and it leaves your mouth feeling fresh.

3 - 1989 gm 30 year 55%

Another really nice Rosebank and as good as my favourite all time Rosy the 1975 as 54.8%.
same score also
Nose
This is a nose you have to take your time over, there is a lot going on with various cereals, fruit and pastry notes.
The cereal notes are the prominent thing here and then the fruit appears, plum, pear, apple and some gooseberry, like a gooseberry fool desert.
nice nose
Taste
My first impression here plenty of spice but the fruit the nose hinted at is on the tart side, almost bitter?
unripe green apple and pear mixed with a little Ginger and pepper and in the background and dash of peat perhaps?
The white pepper and peat note in crease as you go on forcing the fruit into the background.
Finish
This has a long finish, remaining lovely till the end with a cream note on the tail and more spice

4 - 1974 dl 30 year whisky fair 55.8%

This is heavier than both the 1975 30 year silver seal and the 1989 30 year GM I had before this.
Rosebank a light Lowlander, do me a favour try this and see if you still think that.
Great whisky end of and a better score than last time.
Nose
This is heavier on the nose than the 30 year silver seal 1975 and the 30 year GM 1989.
This is almost farmy in comparison but also very nice.
bags of spice, peat, unripe fruits like figure and there is also a date note, this is much better than I remember?
When I refer to this as being farmy what I mean is that there is vegetal note.
great nose can the palate follow through?
Taste
This is full on, bags of power, peat, slightly sour fruit, spice and some peat.
This is a heavyweight Rosy, Ginger spice but also something else and after a while the peat increases, the fruit is unripe plum and fig.
The Sherry is well balanced and compliments the peat and fruit,,
Finish
This is really difficult to score the tail, great balance, nothing more to say

5 - 1976 signatory 27 year 56.7%

A virgin tasting note on this old Rosy which surprises me?
In this h2h another one that debunks the myth that Rosebank is a light whisky, this is a bruiser, a heavyweight Rosebank, bloody marvelous that is what i say.
Nose
This is similar to the 1974 30 year DL whisky fair I just tasted only slightly lighter.
Green apple, unripe plum and the very faint hint of coconut?
This is another farmy almost grassy Rosebank, with a prominent cereal note
Taste
This has bags of spice, a little peat, plenty of fruit, green apple, hard pear, perhaps a little yellow plum, not sure.
Not sweet but in the middle really, it just tasted quite full on and heavy.
The spice and peat combine to attack your tongue and the apple note increases but nothing like you get in an old Glenlivet which is the king of green apple.
Finish
Very long, it does`t stop to be honest, it lasts for ages.

6 - 20 year ob zenith 1980 57%

I never thought any Rosebank would top the 1975 silver seal 30 year 54.8% but this does and must be the Daddy of all of all Rosebanks, surely?
Well only 2 OB to go so we will soon see.
This is a real heavyweight, glorious end of.
Nose
That is one nice nose for sure, it smells like a bag of fruit gummy bears of the white, green and yellow fruit gums.
After 5 minutes there is the trademark Rosy cereal note but there is a slight paraffin note which adds to the overall profile.
This is one crisp, clean and fresh nose.
Taste
This a Rosebank on steroids, peat, spice, cream and something earthy?
The fruit gum notes the nose hinted at are all here with bags of spice and some peat which surprises me.
This has white pepper mixing with a little peat but then the top layer of fruit really adds to the complexity.
Great balance
Finish
Long, spicy and a little peat which holds onto your tongue and does not let it go.

7 - 1981 25 year 61.4% OB

NO 7 of a Rosebank h2hl
This is lovely, a heavy weight from the Lowlands, that can mix it with any whisky from any area including islay.
Islay whisky the best, like * it is, this can top just about anything.
Nose
Now that is a full on nose for sure.
Bags of fruit, mainly on green apple, a little green pear, mango and the faintest hint of peach but there is also cereal and a little peat mixed in with Jay and grass.
This is great I just hope the palate is a slight good?
Taste
oh yes, such power, full of slightly sour fruits with some peat, great stuff.
My tongue has just been assaulted by the power of this whisky, the pepper note is mixing with peat and the stewed, slightly unripe fruits.
The Sherry and peat mixed with the fruit gummy flavours show real balance, excellent
Finish
Massive, end of just keeps going with the spice increasing, another massive Rosebank finish

8 - 1981 20 year rare malts 62.3%

I think I was a little harsh last time, playing around with water gets the best out of this, worth 90 points, up 3 points from last time.
Nose
Not particularly expressive at first, green apple and apple skins, a little pear and a little cream.
There is some cereal in the mix and hints of gooseberry.
Taste
Green apple skins mixed with a little peat and a little cream at first, just the wrong side of harsh for me.
There is actually a nice splash of white pepper in this mixing with a dash of peat and as the minutes in air pass by this gets better.
Now I get it, you have to play around with water to get the best out of this, around 54-55% is where this shines which is what i did not do last time.
Finish
Quite creamy on the finish with the white pepper and peat remaining.

9 - 1991/2017 cadenhead 175th 50.5% bourbon 25 year

no 9 of a Rosy h2h
it was perhaps a little unfair to try this 50.5% offering after 4 or 5 approaching 60% ABV but it held up well.
a good whisky, but not quite great.
Nose
This has a lot of green apple on the nose, but also some nutmeg like the sort you find with rice pudding that goes so well. Smile
The trademark fruit is there and the cereal but this has something else in the mix?
i think it is coconut mixed with lime and more nutmeg with pastry notes.
This is quite unusual so not easy to score.
Taste
The trademark white fruit and green apple skins are here but also an almost white rum note mixed with white and yellow fruit gums.
The overall taste is light but the rice pudding , nutmeg, white run and cream notes make for an interesting whisky
Finish
Not the longest but pleasant enough and makes you want another one for the road. Smile

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely and remarkable flight of whiskies! I wish I was with you when you sipped them. I would have really enjoyed those drams. Wink
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
What a lovely and remarkable flight of whiskies! I wish I was with you when you sipped them. I would have really enjoyed those drams. Wink

Hi there, certainly from an enjoyment point of view it was on the money because my favourite Rosebank for a long time the 1975 SS Sestante was eclipsed by others which I was not expecting.
This is why i do H2H because you are not tasting in isolation and it throws up su.rprises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: