www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Whisky Cask Ownership

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whisky Cask Ownership
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vimto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Whisky Cask Ownership Reply with quote

A mate and I are considering purchasing a whisky cask in the next few months. Its a longheld ambition of both us and as we've both turned (or in my case about to) 50, now seems like a good time.

We're mainly interested in purchasing from a new distillery, somewhere that will give us a bit of control over the cask etc. We're not interested in visiting the cask or rounds of golf as a freebie, just a good quality drinker that we can get in 10 years time or so.

So, my question is this... What new(ish) distillery would you look to purchase from? We've been looking at Glenwyvis as an option, largely due to the different casks available, but any
other suggestions would welcome. As I mentioned, this isn't about investment particularly, its about having some great whisky to enjoy in the future.

drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Glen Wyvis (I have a handful of shares in them), but I am aware they are having a turbulent time at the moment.

I then looked at some others, some way over priced considering they are brand new, and went with Borders. I have since been in email contact with someone who has sampled the new make at the distillery and he is very confident it will be a good dram in 10-12 years.

Like you this is not an investment, it is purely for my own pleasure
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raasay do casks and also cask shares. Maybe Lagg is worth a look?

Another option is to go via Whiskybroker.
Vimto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drPete wrote:
I looked at Glen Wyvis (I have a handful of shares in them), but I am aware they are having a turbulent time at the moment.

I then looked at some others, some way over priced considering they are brand new, and went with Borders. I have since been in email contact with someone who has sampled the new make at the distillery and he is very confident it will be a good dram in 10-12 years.

Thanks for the heads-up re Glen Wyvis. I noticed they've had a change re directors and Distillery Manager too. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I read that they were due to have an AGM in January, did you get an invite?

I'll definitely look at Borders, I did have a brief look, but I'll review it again
Vimto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:

I think both of those are going be quite peaty, not a problem for me as I love Islays, but my mate isn't quite as keen. Thanks for the reply
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimto wrote:
MattS wrote:

I think both of those are going be quite peaty, not a problem for me as I love Islays, but my mate isn't quite as keen. Thanks for the reply

Contacting the whiskybroker might be worth doing then because they have a range of options and what appear decent prices.

davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nc'Nean have casks for sale - https://ncnean.com/pages/buy-a-cask
Vimto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
Nc'Nean have casks for sale - https://ncnean.com/pages/buy-a-cask

Looked at that one, but they're only offering a waiting list for their 2022 offer unfortunately
Clem Fandango

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a part share in a Cask of Arran. It's really interesting to follow it through with samples. We did year one surprising amount of colour but really rough, year three drinkable but still a bit rough, year five (last year) you could definitely bottle it. One thing samples are very expensive so factor in that cost.

Also it is nice to visit Arran, the distillery and our Cask don't think it would be as much fun if it was in a warehouse in the middle of Scotland.
drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vimto wrote:
drPete wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up re Glen Wyvis. I noticed they've had a change re directors and Distillery Manager too. Is there anything else I should be aware of?

I'll definitely look at Borders, I did have a brief look, but I'll review it again

I had an invite to the AGM and an extra GM, didn't go but have read the papers, lot of kerfuffle behind the scenes but I don't think terminal.
Vimto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drPete wrote:
Vimto wrote:
drPete wrote:

I had an invite to the AGM and an extra GM, didn't go but have read the papers, lot of kerfuffle behind the scenes but I don't think terminal.

Just a bit of a concern if you're about to invest in a cask though. Decisions, decisions!
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The club I'm in used Whiskybroker last time and it was painless.

Vimto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peloquin wrote:
The club I'm in used Whiskybroker last time and it was painless.

They look interesting. I've dropped them an email to see their current stock list. Cheers
MJ75
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a few casks now. These are for investment but I will draw a few bottles from them before selling as a momento.

What I would say is that all of the new distilleries offering casks for sale will give you very little control over it. You really do need to read the small print as you will have contractual obligations.

I'd also take a long hard look at the prices. New distilleries are selling new make spirit from £5k to £11k. Princetown distillery have options up to £75k per cask! This is very bad value in my humble opinion. To put it into perspective I've recently bought :-

2014 Glenrothes hogshead £3300
2015 GlenAllachie barrel £2850
2016 Tullibardine barrel £1800

I'm waiting to buy some new make spirit from a respected distillery for around £1200 per barrel later this m spring. That's the real value of new make!

To list a few. I own the actual wooden casks and their contents. Some of these new distillery schemes own the actual wood. You are not buying a cask that you can do with as you wish. You are buying the rights to have the contents bottled at a later date.

Make sure you do plenty of due dilligence before making a purchase. PM me for more info if you like. And before anyone asks I am not a cask broker!!!!! Smile
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ75 wrote:
I've bought a few casks now. These are for investment but I will draw a few bottles from them before selling as a momento.

What I would say is that all of the new distilleries offering casks for sale will give you very little control over it. You really do need to read the small print as you will have contractual obligations.

I'd also take a long hard look at the prices. New distilleries are selling new make spirit from £5k to £11k. Princetown distillery have options up to £75k per cask! This is very bad value in my humble opinion. To put it into perspective I've recently bought :-

2014 Glenrothes hogshead £3300
2015 GlenAllachie barrel £2850
2016 Tullibardine barrel £1800

I'm waiting to buy some new make spirit from a respected distillery for around £1200 per barrel later this m spring. That's the real value of new make!

To list a few. I own the actual wooden casks and their contents. Some of these new distillery schemes own the actual wood. You are not buying a cask that you can do with as you wish. You are buying the rights to have the contents bottled at a later date.

Make sure you do plenty of due dilligence before making a purchase. PM me for more info if you like. And before anyone asks I am not a cask broker!!!!! Smile

Thank you for the insights. I'm considering buying too and the above seems to echo the concerns/thoughts I'd had to as I looked around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: