www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - smoke/peat whisky recommendations for novice drammers 🥃 - Page 3

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
smoke/peat whisky recommendations for novice drammers 🥃
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice I've seen port Charlotte gets rave reviews like laguvulin 16 on my list for the future

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ardbeg 10 is up there with those malts as well, and it's just dropped to £37 in tesco with a clubcard price apparently. Amazon might follow suit!
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve never actually tried Ardbeg 10, although Lagavulin 16 is my all time favourite, so I really should sometime. Has anybody done a comparison between the 2 & care to share their thoughts?
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta try it m8, it's a right of passage for anyone serious about Islay whisky! It's very different to Lagavulin 16 tbh, Laga is known for its richness and savoury notes whereas Ardbeg is more light citrus notes and ash. IMO the closest comparison on Islay is Kilchoman Machir Bay. Ardbeg 10 is kinda like that but more intense. Strong lemon notes for me on both whiskies, but Ardbeg is more bacon/salt/ash whereas Machir Bay has more creamy/biscuity notes.

It's funny how people react to heavily peated whisky though, as in my experience it can be pretty illogical. I remember chatting to a chap at the last whisky festival I could get to and he'd tried pretty much every basic heavily peated Islay he could find at this festival combined with his prior experience (Lagavulin 16, Laph 10, Laph Quarter Cask, Lore, Bowmore 12, Caol Ila, etc) and he hated every single one, just couldn't get on with peated whisky, but he wanted to try the Ardbeg as a kind of last chance saloon of peated Islay, so I took him to the stall thinking no way he was gonna like this, but he did! He finally got stung!

One of my best friends was kinda similar, I've given him Laga 16, Laph 10, Talisker 10, Kilchoman Machir Bay, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail and various others and Machir Bay was really the only peated Islay that he didn't dislike, he didn't like it either mind, but at least it wasn't completely unpalatable for him at the time, then last year just before christmas someone bought him a shot of Caol Ila 12yr and he loved it! He's starting to come around to peated whisky now.
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
You've gotta try it m8, it's a right of passage for anyone serious about Islay whisky! It's very different to Lagavulin 16 tbh, Laga is known for its richness and savoury notes whereas Ardbeg is more light citrus notes and ash. IMO the closest comparison on Islay is Kilchoman Machir Bay. Ardbeg 10 is kinda like that but more intense. Strong lemon notes for me on both whiskies, but Ardbeg is more bacon/salt/ash whereas Machir Bay has more creamy/biscuity notes.

It's funny how people react to heavily peated whisky though, as in my experience it can be pretty illogical. I remember chatting to a chap at the last whisky festival I could get to and he'd tried pretty much every basic heavily peated Islay he could find at this festival combined with his prior experience (Lagavulin 16, Laph 10, Laph Quarter Cask, Lore, Bowmore 12, Caol Ila, etc) and he hated every single one, just couldn't get on with peated whisky, but he wanted to try the Ardbeg as a kind of last chance saloon of peated Islay, so I took him to the stall thinking no way he was gonna like this, but he did! He finally got stung!

One of my best friends was kinda similar, I've given him Laga 16, Laph 10, Talisker 10, Kilchoman Machir Bay, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigeadail and various others and Machir Bay was really the only peated Islay that he didn't dislike, he didn't like it either mind, but at least it wasn't completely unpalatable for him at the time, then last year just before christmas someone bought him a shot of Caol Ila 12yr and he loved it! He's starting to come around to peated whisky now.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate, greatly appreciated. Well, at £37 in Tesco yesterday, I finally bought one! Can’t wait. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a peaty whisky, so I’m sure this will be no different. Absolutely loved Machir Bay. And Taliaker 10 is right up there too.
Thanks again.
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opened and sampled my bowmore 12 last night , nice and smooth to start with a medicinal feel and Smokey ash to finish, a good Islay beginning

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a story with my m8, he tried a lag 16 and totally disliked it , that much he couldn’t finish a single of it, on trying it he rang me to say islay and peaty whisky wasn’t going to be his thing, he was only 6 to 8 months into his whisky journey, I remember saying this to him! Try a single every couple of months of a smoky whisky and he did just that, 18 months later he’s tried and loved ardbeg 10, an oa and oogie,, he’s got mainly islay a and smoky whiskies in his cabinet nowadays, and at moment enjoying port Charlotte, so never never give up
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! So the Ardbeg 10 is an absolute beast! Incredible smell in the glass followed by intense, slightly sweet, Smokey, limey difficult to describe flavours. I’m not the best at describing flavours anyway. I’d call it Lagavulin 16’s rougher, less refined, relative.
Definitely one for taking your time over.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyleman222 wrote:
Opened and sampled my bowmore 12 last night , nice and smooth to start with a medicinal feel and Smokey ash to finish, a good Islay beginning
Good to hear you enjoyed it, if you're looking for a next step but don't want to pick up another bottle just yet keep an eye out for Laphroaig Quarter Cask over on Amazon, they tend to periodically drop it to around £28-£30 and it's an absolute steal at that price, lovely sweeter cousin of the 10yr, and don't let the NAS put you off, whisky ages more quickly in the smaller quarter casks.

ralfy legend wrote:
I remember a story with my m8, he tried a lag 16 and totally disliked it , that much he couldn’t finish a single of it, on trying it he rang me to say islay and peaty whisky wasn’t going to be his thing, he was only 6 to 8 months into his whisky journey, I remember saying this to him! Try a single every couple of months of a smoky whisky and he did just that, 18 months later he’s tried and loved ardbeg 10, an oa and oogie,, he’s got mainly islay a and smoky whiskies in his cabinet nowadays, and at moment enjoying port Charlotte, so never never give up
Yeah it only takes that one peaty whisky to sting you, then you're most likely gonna catch the bug! Very Happy

Jez Hellewell wrote:
Wow! So the Ardbeg 10 is an absolute beast! Incredible smell in the glass followed by intense, slightly sweet, Smokey, limey difficult to describe flavours. I’m not the best at describing flavours anyway. I’d call it Lagavulin 16’s rougher, less refined, relative.
IMO it's one of the most multi-layered whiskies that can be had for under £40. The uigeadail is really amazing too if you want to treat yourself to something a little fancier later down the line. I'm hoping Amazon drop it again some time this year so I can pick up another bottle!
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigshing, what’s price for the uigeadail are you looking for so I know what’s a good time to jump all over it?
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Lyleman222 wrote:
Good to hear you enjoyed it, if you're looking for a next step but don't want to pick up another bottle just yet keep an eye out for Laphroaig Quarter Cask over on Amazon, they tend to periodically drop it to around £28-£30 and it's an absolute steal at that price, lovely sweeter cousin of the 10yr, and don't let the NAS put you off, whisky ages more quickly in the smaller quarter casks.

ralfy legend wrote:
Yeah it only takes that one peaty whisky to sting you, then you're most likely gonna catch the bug! Very Happy

Jez Hellewell wrote:
IMO it's one of the most multi-layered whiskies that can be had for under £40. The uigeadail is really amazing too if you want to treat yourself to something a little fancier later down the line. I'm hoping Amazon drop it again some time this year so I can pick up another bottle!

Cheers Bigshing. I may just do that as it’s my 50th birthday in July & 25th wedding anniversary. So surely worth an investment?
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Bigshing, what’s price for the uigeadail are you looking for so I know what’s a good time to jump all over it?

Last year when Feis Ile was cancelled MoM had Ardbegs reduced. Might be worth looking out again then.

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Amazon and Master of Malt have dropped it below £50 a number of times in the last few years and if it drops that low then I would definitely recommend snapping it up. I paid £47 each for the two bottles I own back in 2018 (bought in two different sales on amazon).

Jez Hellewell wrote:
Cheers Bigshing. I may just do that as it’s my 50th birthday in July & 25th wedding anniversary. So surely worth an investment?
It's certainly not a bad choice for a 50th special purchase, although I'm sure many members here could suggest something even fancier and age-stated to celebrate that milestone, but in terms of sherry-cask peated whisky I've not found anything finer for my palate! (not that I'm some expert of course!).
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all experts in our own way as we have different palates, I love picking notes out of a whisky that is not on anybody’s tasting notes hehe, it makes your feel great , are they really there is down to the individuals
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
I think we are all experts in our own way as we have different palates, I love picking notes out of a whisky that is not on anybody’s tasting notes hehe, it makes your feel great , are they really there is down to the individuals

Spot on! Told a whisky loving friend of mine I’d bought my first bottle of Ardbeg 10 & he told me I’d be better off pouring it down the sink! 😳
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: