www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - smoke/peat whisky recommendations for novice drammers 🥃

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
smoke/peat whisky recommendations for novice drammers 🥃
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: smoke/peat whisky recommendations for novice drammers 🥃 Reply with quote

Hi all

Looking for a recommendation for a novice Smokey/peated whisky , I've been told ardbeg wee beastie or smokehead are good starting points for a sub £35 bottle, any thoughts? Thanks
Al


Last edited by Lyleman222 on Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Posts: 907

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty to choose from, I would say if you want to try Ardbeg start with the Ardbeg 10 others to look at are Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12 Kilchoman Machir Bay. Most can be found on offer online on & off https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/shops.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookie wrote:
There are plenty to choose from, I would say if you want to try Ardbeg start with the Ardbeg 10 others to look at are Laphroaig 10, Caol Ila 12 Kilchoman Machir Bay. Most can be found on offer online on & off https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/shops.htm


Thanks for the ideas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member


Joined: 04 Sep 2017
Posts: 217
Location: Inverness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a cracking dram. Great price too and if bought through the advert on the left of the forum, the forum gets a wee benefit Smile

Seaweed and Aeons and Digging and Fire
_________________
@in5tadram
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 254

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Novice smoke/peat recommendations please Reply with quote

Lyleman222 wrote:
Hi all

Looking for a recommendation for a novice Smokey/peated whisky , I've been told ardbeg wee beastie or smokehead are good starting points for a sub £35 bottle, any thoughts? Thanks
Al
Good god, who told you to start with those two? That's basially telling you to dive straight into the deep end from the full size olympic platform! Very Happy

Talisker Skye or Bowmore 12 (currently £25 and £27 on amazon) are better starter peat whiskies as they're less strong so a good stepping stone.

Caol Ila 12yr for something a little stronger, usually around £36-£38.

Kilchoman Machir Bay for something very sweet and full on peat.

Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 15 if you want to go full strength peat monster immediately.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Novice smoke/peat recommendations please Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Lyleman222 wrote:
Hi all

Looking for a recommendation for a novice Smokey/peated whisky , I've been told ardbeg wee beastie or smokehead are good starting points for a sub £35 bottle, any thoughts? Thanks
Al
Good god, who told you to start with those two? That's basially telling you to dive straight into the deep end from the full size olympic platform! Very Happy

Talisker Skye or Bowmore 12 (currently £25 and £27 on amazon) are better starter peat whiskies as they're less strong so a good stepping stone.

Caol Ila 12yr for something a little stronger, usually around £36-£38.

Kilchoman Machir Bay for something very sweet and full on peat.

Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10 or Lagavulin 15 if you want to go full strength peat monster immediately.


Lagavulin 16 I think you mean? 😆
My absolute favourite. The whisky that got me hooked when I was 18 up in Scotland.
Talisker 10 is a belter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 254

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the wrong key there! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jez Hellewell
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2018
Posts: 192

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:
Hit the wrong key there! Very Happy


Thought there might be one I don’t know about! Turns out you must have been drinking & typing! 🤪
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 254

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like crap at typing in general, drinking and typing might help me! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'm whittling Doon now it's between Laphroaig 10 and talisker 10 , talisker 10 is a shade over £36 on Amazon at present I'm taking that's pretty good outside Xmas and father's Day?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 878
Location: Fife

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both talisker 10 and lap 10 do come down to £30 and £28 so if it’s me I’d wait but it does depend on when you want it so your call ,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do prices cycle on Amazon?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 2002
Location: Cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Talisker 10. Laphroaig is good but full on. You just gotta be patient and wait although I noticed it on htfw whisky eBay store for £33 with free postage which
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lyleman222
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 10 Feb 2021
Posts: 27

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad price I've never used them , any feedback?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2020 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.