www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Doctors' Special old Scotch whisky, late 1950's/early 60`s

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Doctors' Special old Scotch whisky, late 1950's/early 60`s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Doctors' Special old Scotch whisky, late 1950's/early 60`s Reply with quote

The aristocrat of fine Scotch whiskies.

The same as this bottle on Scotch Whisky Actions:-

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/auctions/62_the-31st-auction/23688_robert-mcnish--co-ltd-doctors-special-75cl/

Nose
Quite a fruity and zesty nose but the classic old blend hit of cereals and a little vanilla from the gran component are definitely there.
pineapple, apple, pear, and mint leaves (faint)
not powerful but what i would call inoffensive and mellow.

Taste
what the nose suggested is here on the palate, white fruits, apple and pear with lashings of single cream but then a little lime creeps in and a warm sponge cake note.
This reminds me a little of the early 70`s Redbreast 10 year but nothing like the amount of cereal and vanilla but the same sort of flavours.

Finish
not a long finish but so sweet and creamy

finding tasting notes for this late 50`s early 60's bottle is really difficult , i will re taste this in a few weeks time but this is not a stodgy old blend it is quite a light, sweet, creamy blend where the grain element has no hard edges, this is about as mellow as a whisky can get, and i love it.

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting whisky. The photo on the auction you linked spells it on the bottle as MACNISH in capitals. Here in Canada I have purchased in the past a bottle of Grand Macnish 150th Anniversary edition bottled in 2013 and I would say it has many of the same taste notes as you present for the Doctors special. Are you familiar with the one I am speaking of? It is not the same as the standard Grand Macnish.

Cheers,
Murray
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
An interesting whisky. The photo on the auction you linked spells it on the bottle as MACNISH in capitals. Here in Canada I have purchased in the past a bottle of Grand Macnish 150th Anniversary edition bottled in 2013 and I would say it has many of the same taste notes as you present for the Doctors special. Are you familiar with the one I am speaking of? It is not the same as the standard Grand Macnish.

yes, it came out about 7 or 8 years ago i believe but never tried it, had Grand Macnish before.

have you ever tired Bells 20 year but the first mid 60`s one with the white label 4/5 quart, 86 proof, Liqueur Blended?
i might crack it open?

Cheers,
Murray

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
Quaich1 wrote:

yes, it came out about 7 or 8 years ago i believe but never tried it, had Grand Macnish before.

have you ever tired Bells 20 year but the first mid 60`s one with the white label 4/5 quart, 86 proof, Liqueur Blended?
i might crack it open?

Cheers,
Murray

Never tried the Bells 20 from the 60's. Sounds most interesting. Would like to hear what you think of it. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: