www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Teeling OB x 7, NAS-30 years old

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Teeling OB x 7, NAS-30 years old

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Teeling OB x 7, NAS-30 years old Reply with quote

This was a very very disappointing H2H for me, in fact it was dire. The only conclusion I can honestly come up with is that Teeling Whisky is rubbish, and almost tasteless and obviously the quality/price ratio is off the scale in a negative way.
As the ages increased the quality dipped.
I usually like Irish Whisky but Teeling needs sueing under the Trade Descriptions Act, I have had £10 blends that were better than these 7 offerings.

For what it is worth, here are the average scores, tasted in this order.

1 -Brabazon Series 1 49.5% bottled March 2017 - 79 points
2 -Brabazon Series 1 49.5% bottled February 2018 - 78 points
3 - Single cask 11 year cask 10191 53.6% Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Cask
Bottled for Bresser and Timmer - 70 points
4 - 14 year 46% The Revival volume 3 - 70 points
5 - 21 year 46% bottled 2015 Batch 4 - 65 points
6 - 24 year 1991 port cask 8474 54.3% Netherlands Exclusive - 67 points
7 - 30 year 36% bourbon cask no 1, Platinum Reserve - 67 points

Tasting Notes

1-Babazon Series 1 49.5% bottled March 2017

light & fragrant on the nose, almost rum like, the palate is all over the place still sweet but slightly hot.
This tastes like a blend to me with vanilla overtones yet it is a single malt, I suppose you would categorise it as a big cereal note.
With water some green apple and as little pear, the finish is warming and pleasant.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish 80

2-Babazon Series 1 49.5% bottled February 2018

Compared to the 03/17 bottle the nose on this is not as expressive but shares the same vanilla and cereal note which you would expect.
The palate on this one is similar to the 2017 bottle but it is flat and not as flavoursome.
A few drops of water releases white fruits and a gummy bear sweetness which is pretty good.
The finish is short and quite flat, disappearing quickly.
After trying this 2nd Babazon all I can say is that I would not buy a bottle as they are not that good.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish

3 – Single cask 11 year cask 10191 53.6%
Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Cask
Bottled for Bresser and Timmer

The nose is similar to the 2017 & 2018 Brabazon bottles being light and even more distant, all I get is white and yellow gummy bears on the nose.
White fruits & tropical fruits on the palate with some coconut but after a minute or so the fruit is bitter or rather unripe being a better description.
The nose is non existent the palate gets really light
White fruits on the palate with water, and some fizziness but there is little depth to this and the finish is almost tasteless but pleasantly warming I suppose.
Not worth a purchase that is for sure
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish

4- 14 year 46% The Revival volume 3

Bourbon + Pineau des Charentes Casks Finish

The 4th Teeling in a row with a non descript nose, a little apple and cream and that is about it?
Green apple skins on the palate as it is slightly sour so we are talking Granny Smith's apples here, Ther is a little spice but it is basically all apple and little else.
A few drops of water improve the mouthfeel but it is cardboardy now and the finish is short, really short
This is rubbish and if the older Teeling offerings are like this as tastings go this will be one to forget.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish
Edit Like

5- 21 year 46% bottled 2015 Batch 4

An ok nose and I suppose typical Teeling, green apple and a little vanilla, it has more depth than the first 4 Teeling's I had tonight so at least things are looking up as H2H go.
The mouthfeel is a little thicker and it is definately on green apples but they are sour and this reminds of those kids sweets that are jelly with a sour side.
With a few drops of water, it is basically weaker but still sour with a bitter finish.
I am trying not to be unkind to members who have this up for sale for 700 euro but if I paid more than 25 euro for a whisky that tasted so lacklistre I would still think I had been ripped off, what a disappointment this is.
It is bland, end of, it is like a whisky with it's heart ripped out.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish

6- 24 year 1991 port cask 8474 54.3% Netherlands Exclusive

A light fragrant nose that is basically boring, , the palate is bitter and this is the first Teeling tonight that I detect peat?
Some pepper spice enters the fray for the better, but anything is an improvement to be honest.
Perhaps water will improve things?
Bitter white fruits and cardboardy, with a lacklustre finish.
Rubbish, that is the only word for it at this price point.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish
Edit Like

7- 30 year 36% bourbon cask no 1, Platinum Reserve

I am being totally honest here, this is my 7th Teeling tonight and I was praying that there would be some salvation where this brand is concerned but alas no, the nose is like the 6th I had before it is light , bland and uninteresting, shame.
Fingers crossed the palate is better?
The usual green apple, with a hint of peat, and a little spice, it is ok but at this age you would expect so much more.
There is a decent amount of pepper but that is all the finish has, virtually no other flavours.
I can honestly say that an old Glenlivet 12 year is much better than this but in the same quite light, green apple ball park.
If you paid 16o00 euro for this you would need your head examining.
This has to be the worst quality/price ratio I have ever encountered and my 7th Teeling tonight that is basically rubbish.
This Teeling H2H has been a disaster, If i got this as a present I would cry my eyes out.
A 30 year old whisky should have flavour, depth of palate, long lingering finish, this has nothing in comparison , .
This is a catayclismic failure, Teeling is rubbish at any price point.
In over 20 years of drinking whisky I have never been so disappointed as the 7 Teeling offerings I have had tonight.
This has an average of 92.43 which I find incredible and insulting, this is a 20 euro taste whisky, if someone got me this as a Christmas present I would beat them up.
• Nose
• Taste
• Finish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: