www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Go To, Everyday, Whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Go To, Everyday, Whisky
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Go To, Everyday, Whisky Reply with quote

I’d love to gauge opinions on people’s “go to” whisky. A Sub £30, everyday drinker.
I’ve just finished an Aberlour 10, from Amazon, which was only £20. I doubt you could get much more bang for your buck. Admittedly it was on offer. But I’m always looking for something new to try or a recommendation.

Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wonder if Aberlour 10 has been discontinued and it is just old stock we find in shops, it never got the new look dumpier bottle and tube a few years back, I would hate to see it go as I always stock up when it is on for around £20.

I find that Glenmorangie 10 when found on offer is a great bang for your buck, £25 is a good price for this.

A great value everyday pour smoky whisky for me is Aldi's Glen Marnock Islay single malt.
pks1702
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a post elsewhere that Ardmore Legacy I found to be pretty decent at the price.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archer I see you’ve tried Aldi islay so I wondering if you’ve tried the Lidl islay and compared them ? At £16 to £17 they not bad . I try to keep a bushmills 10 on my shelf.
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archer wrote:
I always wonder if Aberlour 10 has been discontinued and it is just old stock we find in shops, it never got the new look dumpier bottle and tube a few years back, I would hate to see it go as I always stock up when it is on for around £20.

I find that Glenmorangie 10 when found on offer is a great bang for your buck, £25 is a good price for this.

A great value everyday pour smoky whisky for me is Aldi's Glen Marnock Islay single malt.

Glad you mentioned the Aldi! I picked up a bottle a couple of weeks back for £16.49, which is an incredible price really. Even if it only tastes half decent! Not had Glenmorangie for maybe 20 years. I should give it another go. Also, Highland Park always seems to be on offer at around the £25 mark. There’s a lot of quality whisky out there for not too much money.
blackcipher
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old pulteney 12 is often on offer and is a good dram. Have also been enjoying the distillery editions Glenkeith when it's on offer for £20 also.

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jez have you done a side by side of the Aldi v Lidl’s islay? I’ve had both but not side by side, tried the Aldi few years ago and thought it just shaded the Lidl but both similar ish, , update tried both side by side and the Aldi is the better of the two

Last edited by ralfy legend on Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When discounted & it being stocked in some supermarkets I'd rate Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair good value.
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Jez have you done a side by side of the Aldi v Lidl’s islay? I’ve had both but not side by side, tried the Lidl a few years ago and thought it just shaded the Aldi but both similar ish,
h

No I haven’t Ralfy. Unfortunately there’s no Lidl near us!
Flyin_Vee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:
When discounted & it being stocked in some supermarkets I'd rate Bunnahabhain Stiuireadair good value.

This is such a good drop, and if we're allowed to include bottles on offer sub £30 then Benromach 10 offers so much for the money.

The Bunna 12 can be had for £30 on occassion but I'd feel too guilty smashing through it as a daily.

Johnnie Walker Black if we're allowed blends.

Others I've yet to try but I've recently bought in this price range include
Berry Brother Classic Sherry
Tomatin Legacy
Teelings Small Batch
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flyin_Vee wrote:
MattS wrote:

This is such a good drop, and if we're allowed to include bottles on offer sub £30 then Benromach 10 offers so much for the money.

The Bunna 12 can be had for £30 on occassion but I'd feel too guilty smashing through it as a daily.

Johnnie Walker Black if we're allowed blends.

Others I've yet to try but I've recently bought in this price range include
Berry Brother Classic Sherry
Tomatin Legacy
Teelings Small Batch

Never tried either the Benromach 10 or Bunna 12, but will definitely keep an eye out.
Blends are definitely allowed. I used to be a bit of a snob about only having age statement malt. Then I had the Johnnie Walker Black at £20 from Tesco. What a fantastic drop for the money!
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, my choices would be either Old Pulteney 12 or Bunnahabhain Stiùireadair - both really good value when on offer (in my opinion).

HJ
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the States that would be <$41.00. I can't get there with a Single Malt.
mistah
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good classic malts that are often available for under £30 in the run up to Christmas and Father's Day (Talisker 10, Highland Park 12, Laphroaig 10, etc...)

Increasingly the value for those of us who actually like to drink whisky lies in the so-called "mystery malts" which include the Aldi and Lidl malts already mentioned. Ones that I have liked and are often available for under £30 include Seaweed & Aeons & Digging & Fire 10 yr (kind of like a sherried Laphroaig - available form Master of Malt) and the Berry Brothers NAS range (Sherried Malt, Peated Malt, Islay Malt, etc...)

It might be that, as single malt brands become pitched as increasingly luxury goods, their owners don't want to "contaminate" their brands by discounting to the £30 level - so instead sell whisky to third parties to release under their own brands.
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the latest Tesco whisky deals have just changed again & there are some good ones, for card holders.
Talisker Skye £25
Highland Park £25
Johnnie Walker Black £20, which I bought.
Powers Gold £23 - really want to try this. Anybody tried it yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: