www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Deanston 12 year OB x 3, 90'S. noughties & Latest 2020

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Deanston 12 year OB x 3, 90'S. noughties & Latest 2020

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Deanston 12 year OB x 3, 90'S. noughties & Latest 2020 Reply with quote

I intend to do a few of these H2H of the same OB expressions over time. We are always talking about the degradation of whisky quality so here is the first one, Deanston 12 year OB

1)-1990's tall bottle 40%

Nose
A fresh and zesty nose mainly on green apple with a hint of lemon, hint of vanilla but little else.

Taste
Creamy on the palate, green apple that the nose suggested, hint of cereal, faint lemon bon bon, such a simple profile, not much to it.

Finish
Longer than expected and more green apple and lemon zest, it really leaves your mouth fresh

A straight shooter with a simple profile and no pretentions at being anything over than an entry level malt but it works, an aperitif for sure

2)-2000's 12 year dumpy bottle 40%

Nose
More to it than 15009 12 year , still got green apple, hints of lemon and a cereal note but more of it plus a cream note.
A little shoe polish and a freshly baked pastry note.
Pretty good

Taste
It is a little thin at first and it is very fizzy and there is some bitterness, quite a lot actually.
The trademark apple note is there with a little lemon but the bitterness grabs hold of everything and kills the distillate stone dead.
Cardboardy

Finish
It picks up a little sweetness on the finish but then more bitterness

The older bottle was much better, I thought this would be better, I was completely wrong

3)- 2020 12 year 46.3%

Nose
A more substantial nose than earlier bottlings, darker in colour also.
Nice treacle note on this one, gooseberry , hint of ripe rhubarb, (much better than it sounds).
Waffles and syrup.

Taste
This is quite lively and tastes more like an 8 year old, the fruit is on the sour side, unripe apple, pear, hard nectarines but not as tasty.
The mouthfeel is quite thick and the fruit can1t decide whether it is sweet or bitter which basically evens out and makes the palate a little nondescript.

Finish
The finish is quite long but is still on bitter fruit

I will see how this improves as it goes down but it should be better than this
Out of this one and 90's bottle and a later dumpy bottle , the oldest was the best. I was a bit disappointed with this new bottle.

So the theory of quality degradation has been debunked at the first time of asking, interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: