www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Old Ardbeg 1972,Ardbeggeddon, 1973, 1974 1976 , LOTI &

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Old Ardbeg 1972,Ardbeggeddon, 1973, 1974 1976 , LOTI &

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Old Ardbeg 1972,Ardbeggeddon, 1973, 1974 1976 , LOTI & Reply with quote

Ardbeg H2H

I had a 2014 ten year just to get my palate used to the taste, I am no Ardbeg fan and still think most Ardbeg are scored too high generally but I will admit there was some quality in the old stuff on show in this tasting. On personal preference, even with these highly rated drams I found it all just a little bit dull at the end and while I scored the 1972 OB 93-94points and a clear winner with the Ardbeggeddon on 92 (would have been higher but for a lack lustre nose which dragged it's score down), the supposed best Ardbeg of all the 1976 was 3rd also on 92 but the Ardbeggeddon had a better taste & finish.

I do these tastings for a reason, apart from my personal enjoyment it sometimes debunks for me the myths of how good some whisky is supposed to be, this is one of those times. The whisky here was good, I am not saying it isn`t but Ardbeg has always been and always will be not as good as everyone else thinks it is in my humble opinion, it does not reach the heights of say 1970's young, peated Glen Garioch or the best Brora, not even close, apart from the 72 OB but that is just one man's humble opinion.
As a side issue the 10 year from 2014 could hold it's head up and the Lord of the Isles for the money is rubbish and dull as dishwater, I think I am being generous awarded it 85p.

Tasting order (lowest-Highest % abv )

1-Ardbeg 10 year 46% 2014 OB WB ID 67284
2-Ardbeg Lord of the Isles 25 year 2001 46% OB WB ID 14204
3-Ardbeggeddon 1972 Douglas Laing OMC 29 year 48.4% WB ID 5102
4-Ardbeg 1972 30 year cask 2782 49.9% OB WB ID 1295
5-Ardbeg 1973 27 year 50% Douglas Laing OMC 240 bottles WB ID 5581
6- Ardbeg 1974 23 year cask 1045 50.9% Signatory dumpy WB ID 7382
7- Ardbeg 1976 25 year cask 2395 54.9% OB WB ID 1292

Result

1st-Ardbeg 1972 30 year cask 2782
2nd- Ardbeggeddon 1972 Douglas Laing OMC 29 year 48.4%
3rd- Ardbeg 1976 25 year cask 2395 54.9% OB
4th- Ardbeg 1973 27 year 50% Douglas Laing OMC
5th- Ardbeg 1974 23 year cask 1045 50.9% Signatory dumpy
6th- Ardbeg 10 year 46% 2014 OB
7th- Ardbeg Lord of the Isles 25 year 2001 46%

[b]Tasting notes in order [/b]

Ardbeg 10 year 46% 2014 OB

Absolutely nothing wrong with this, just the finish was not that great.
Still a very respectable score.

• Nose
Salty, seaweed mixed with brine and kipper juice Smile
Linseed oil & putty, not forgetting the lemony peat angle.
• Taste
All front driven on the peat and seaweed. Some sweetness is there, almost like a lemon sherbet, bitter green apple and some cream
• Finish
The finish is long in one respect with the heat, it just keeps going but also it is non-descript, you know it has happened but you cannot figure what, basically hot with not much else on drying cardboard notes

Ardbeg Lord of the Isles 25 YEAR 2001 46%

This never takes of it is ok but it is rather dull and unexciting.
One of the most overrated bottlings for wht is costs I have ever had, the 2005 bottling I only scored 84 points.

• Nose
A different sort of peat effect to the Ardbeg 10 2014 I have just tried.
Definitely bitter green apple, burnt wood, peat but an earthy peat which I like and then some black currant emerges and then something like a mixed blackcurrant, apple and rhubarb crumble. The fruit has taken over the peat as the dominant aspect here and some lovely faint sweet smoke in the back ground.
• Taste
The fruit is dark and stewed and plenty of caramel with some dirty peat and some cream on show also, This is a little flat which is what I thought of an earlier bottle I had.
Some green apple is there mixing with the sherry and peat but nothing seems to stand out
• Finish
The finish is all on unripe apple, pastry and peppery peat, quite long and warming

Ardbeggedon 1972 douglas laing OMC 29 year 48.4% WB ID 5102

I thought the nose was not that good , thankfully the all important taste was really good as was the finish.
An uber rich Ardbeg that the peat compliments the sherry but is in the background a bit, lovely fruit.

• Nose
This does not smell like most Ardbegs, the sherry is powerful , the dark fruits hit you and there is a little sulphur I believe mixed in with glue.
I am struggling to describe this, it seems to get a bit beefy, Bovril cubes that sort of thing, but it is also a little floral and then a bit of hot chocolate.
The fruit is rich plump blackcurrants & damsons.
Wow that is a rollercoaster neat, not sure what to think?
A bit lacking , nondescript at times to be honest, but a coffee and mocha notes rescues it by some margin
• Taste
Heavy sherry, dirty peat, very drying on the palate is my first thought.
The peat and sherry compliment each and the dark fruits are on the ripe side and very juicy, really nice and much better than the nose hinted at.
This is on the creamy side, again juicy blackcurrants and damson and I wrong about the sulphur on the nose, there is no sulphur and this tastes very good.
If I was being critical a little more sweetness, just a touch would have made this even better but there is no denying the balance on show here
• Finish
Not that long , so juicy and so tasty

[
[

u]u]Ardbeg 1972 30 year cask 2782 49.9% [/u][/u]

A top draw whisky, excellent

• Nose
Classic Ardbeg I suppose, the crisp peat is mixed with with white fruits, seaweed, brine with a touch of garage workshop about it Smile
Seems to grow in strength.
Very simple and very effective
• Taste
Crisp and clean peat with a dirty oily side, stewed apple, a little lemon and then a wave of peat washes over your tongue but not aggressively, just perfectly weighted.
Gets a little creamy but the fruit is stating to dominate and it is top draw
• Finish
Long, lingering on peat and apple with some lime and lemon

Ardbeg 1973 27 year 50% Old Malt cask 240 bottles

Nice enough, just lacking a magic ingredient to lift it much above 90p

• Nose
Another old Ardbeg with a touch of the garage workshops about it, no bad thing.
Peat, soot, lemon sherbet, petrol a bit of damp wood but on the whole sharp and crisp.
• Taste
Very fizzy, lots of white fruits and just a hint of bitterness at first, slightly dry also.
There is some bitter peat, plenty of green apple and the peat seems to grow, balance is pretty good and it gets a little creamy with a noticeable pepper note.
• Finish
Not as long as expected, but pleasant with a slightly bitter tail

Ardbeg 1974 23 year cask 1045 50.9% Signatory dumpy

Nothing wrong with this old Ardbeg, just a little boring to be honest

• Nose
Difficult to pinpoint at first, smells like green wet leaves to me and then those white Haribo sweets, milk bottle sweets that sort of thing.
There is obviously strong peat, hints of lemon & brine and finally something chemical, not strong , cleaning spray?
• Taste
very creamy, then lots of peppery peat but also some bitterness then a little fruit arrives to counter balance.
I am getting a few biscuit notes in the mix, more pepper, green apple skins,
• Finish
Reasonable length, getting fizzy on green fruits

Ardbeg 1976 25 year cask 2395 54.9% OB

A good example of an old sherried Ardbeg, certainly nice stuff but I preferred the 1972 cask 2782 to this one

• Nose
Decent nose, rich sherry that is masking the peat, stewed dark fruits, plus a touch of Christmas spice
Smells really rich like some of the best and darkest Christmas cakes.
• Taste
Creamy & peaty, dark rich plums, black currants, something slightly meaty, with some ginger and a pepper note.
A few drops of water makes it a little smoother and releases more dark fruit and more peat/pepper
Good balance on show here
• Finish
• Quite long and sweet

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some excellent notes again - if you ever need a helper I’m available! 🤣

I was lucky to try a 1974 a few years ago and I really liked it although didn’t have a real comparison to have side by side, so these sessions always are interesting reading.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWM wrote:
Some excellent notes again - if you ever need a helper I’m available! 🤣

I was lucky to try a 1974 a few years ago and I really liked it although didn’t have a real comparison to have side by side, so these sessions always are interesting reading.

Hi, TheWM, One mans poison is another man's nectar and I have to be in the mood for something like this, on another day the scores may be different.
I know there are not many people posting on this particular thread, which is something I would love to see, I do this to hopefully show that some whisky is worth the hype, some most defiantly is not.
Some people taste this stuff at tutored tastings and you can convince yourself it is better than it really is, especially when you have a whisky writer or distillery person is offering glowing tributes.
On a personal level trying side by side gives you a reference point, some whiskies I rated at 94-95 points years ago have dropped a few points when the competition is stiff.
I have more H2H head planned like old sherry monsters and Teeling but it is not always about old & rare , I have loads of young stuff I just need to dig it out.
What is absolutely clear to me is that all this old stuff should be left to the collectors because in drinking terms it is nowhere near worth a purchase when you look at the prices, you can get just as much enjoyment out of something like a 15 year Benromach, and the 10 year 2014 Ardbeg in this H2H was not that far behind the old stuff, at a fraction of the price, old does not mean bettter in many instances
Cheers Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: