www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Malcolm Fraser's Twelve Ages 12yr 86 proof 4/5 quart 1940's

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Malcolm Fraser's Twelve Ages 12yr 86 proof 4/5 quart 1940's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Malcolm Fraser's Twelve Ages 12yr 86 proof 4/5 quart 1940's Reply with quote

A little history
This was first named in 1930 as a whisky but it looks like it was not actually sold until 1939.
Looking at old records this blend potentially was still sold up to 1963/4.

The trading wording states:_

MALCOLM FRASER'S TWELVE AGES BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY 4/5 QUART 86 PROOF THIS WHISKEY IS 12 YEARS OLD 100% PRODUCT OF SCOTLAND BLENDED BY MALCOLM FRASER & CO. LTD. GLASGOW SCOTLAND PRINTED IN GREAT BRITAIN

Nose
The nose is beautiful, I cannot describe it as anything else.
It is buttery and creamy and fat, butter toffee, that's it toffee popcorn but a little lighter.
Stroop waffles made with caramel very sweet rum, notes of brandy

Taste
very rich, creamy and a full fat palate which is just how I like and old blend.
Mouth filling everything is here that the nose suggested bit like the 2nd time I tasted it I get a very faint bitter & dry note coming in which dampens the mood ever so slightly but is an old woody counter balance to the massive sweetness on show.
Taking my time with this one now some spice is kicking in, getting quite fizzy and some sweet peat is there also and yes to stop me running off with superlatives that slight bitterness checks it, otherwise it would be in the mid 90`s
As you go on the fatness fades a little but the spice increases as does the peat and also the I now get a metallic note which must be from the cap, 91 for the initial mouthfeel settling on 89

Finish
Quite long, buttery, getting fizzy with the peat going in the background

I would like to do a nose off between this and the Bowmore 1966 Samaroli bouquet because this old fat blend has the best nose of anything I have tried.
even better then the Brora 1972 Rare Malts but the test will be the nosing of any empty glass, an hour after being emptied the Brora glass was even better.
I will leave the empty glass with a lid on it for an hour, taste some other old blends and check again.
I was told this had a malt content of around 80%, not sure if that is correct but I could well believe it judging by the initial fatness of the palate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: