www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - King William IV VOP blend tin cap +/- 1950 John Gillon &

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
King William IV VOP blend tin cap +/- 1950 John Gillon &

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: King William IV VOP blend tin cap +/- 1950 John Gillon & Reply with quote

.Brown glass, tin cap, no strength stated , tall bottle.

Nose
This one is full of OBE, light moist cakes notes, similar to ginger but not as spicy, almost smells like a brandy?
There is a lovely wood varnish note mixed with beeswax, very faint mint and possibly something meaty but I need to think about that one?

Taste
Unexpectedly powerful and really spicy and wonderful with it at first.
There is an abundance of fruit, yellow plum, dark orange liqueur, crystallised fruits and fruit sweets, and there is a decent amount of peat which mixes with the spice and is perfectly balanced.

Finish
last for ages, remaining spicy with a little peat and some stewed fruit on the tail with a hint of woody bitterness but the mouthfeel and finish are great,

This is brilliant, one of the best blends I have had for a long time.
John Gillon owned Glenury and it is a safe bet that there is Glenury Royal in this blend.
It is the balance that hits you with this one, the flavours are brilliant, I have had King William a few times before but this older tin cap bottle is so much better, and I think the OBE has really helped this one and no issues with the tin cap either.
As an old blend lover I can appreciate the craft in this one, verging on superb but this is my sort of whisky, I could drink this all day.
An old wonder not sure if it is 70 proof or 75 proof as no abv listed listed but this has lost no power over all these years

Glenury distillery's 'Royal ' appellation thanks to the to Captain Barclay's friendship with King William IV, who passed in 1837. King William tried the whisky , liked it and frequently re-ordered it. Many. many years later this royal connection gave rise to a blend , King William IV, which had liberal quantities of Glenury Royal in the formula.

Extract from the book by Brian Townsend called Scotch Missed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: