www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Question about a Limited Edition Blue Label

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Question about a Limited Edition Blue Label

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScotchRookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Question about a Limited Edition Blue Label Reply with quote

Hello,

New to the forum, and I'm hoping someone on here can answer a question for me. I received a special edition of Johnnie Walker Blue Label from Guam as a gift a few months ago.

I drink scotch on very rare occasions, and I enjoy this type of scotch, but I'm not sure if this edition is especially rare and it's something that has significant value, or if it has the value of your standard bottle of Blue label and thus it wouldn't be the crime of the century if someone that isn't a connesiuer like me got into it every now and then.

All that said, I'm mainly just trying to find out more about this edition since it's turned into a bit of a conversation piece in my house.

I've included a picture of the bottle below in case that makes it easier to identify. I don't know anything about the scotch other than the info provided on the bottle, the person that offered it as a gift really didn't provide much info.

Thank you all in advance for helping me learn a little more about this!

Lennox
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some info here in The Guam Daily Post you may find of interest https://www.postguam.com/entertainment/lifestyle/johnnie-walker-releases-third-guam-edition/article_7e50dd9e-f4e6-11e6-af4c-efe8ab4b3186.html

It is likely the standard Johnnie Walker Blue Label in the bottle.
ScotchRookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and I agree, based on what I can find the contents of the bottle are the same as any blue label. I don't see anything special about how it was bottled.

I guess what I'm getting at is, are these regional special additions legitimate collectors items that people try to get their hands on, and thus a little heretical for me to crack open. Or is this just valued like a standard blue label and I should just enjoy it during the next lockdown.
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might not be a true representation of the price, but a quick Google search showed a couple of Guam editions which sold at auction...

https://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/auctions/118_the-80th-auction/184380_johnnie-walker-blue-label-guam-limited-edition-75cl/

https://www.catawiki.com/l/28377439-johnnie-walker-blue-label-guam-the-lovers-point-legend-series-limited-edition-750ml
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScotchRookie wrote:
Thanks and I agree, based on what I can find the contents of the bottle are the same as any blue label. I don't see anything special about how it was bottled.

I guess what I'm getting at is, are these regional special additions legitimate collectors items that people try to get their hands on, and thus a little heretical for me to crack open. Or is this just valued like a standard blue label and I should just enjoy it during the next lockdown.

The answer is no in as much as anyone who knows about whisky would see this for what it us a generic blue label bottle.
That said the post on here highlights one going for £1300 at SWA and another going for a regular £240 on Catwiki.
You get ridiculous spikes at auctions like this, some people are prepared to pay silly money for certain whiskies around the world at any given time, they may want it for a collection or potentially have no concept of the real worth of a bottle, there is no rhyme or reason to it.
Crack it open & enjoy it is my advice.
lowlander
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was given as a gift, why not go ahead and open it. Top Malt

However, if you're not too bothered about it, I'd put it up on an auction site and spend the money on something you really like. It looks like you'll be able to get a bit of decent cash for something you didn't pay for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: