www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Richard Gooding Auction - Part 2 - Whisky Auctioneer - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Richard Gooding Auction - Part 2 - Whisky Auctioneer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
It must have been a hell of hack as the site is still off line.

It was presented as a concerted attack. The resolution for that will not be simple.

The cynic in me does wonder however if the auction was underperforming due to either the current environment or the widely held scepticism about fill levels.

davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:

The cynic in me does wonder however if the auction was underperforming due to either the current environment or the widely held scepticism about fill levels.

Didn't stop the last one.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did extend the auction by 2 days last time as "there was a problem with some people placing bids..."

But I have been thinking the same as Webdunk when some of the bottles where selling for way under what was made out to be there price..
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that the auction wasn't put on hold to a future date.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard was interested in owning rare bottles. Packaging didn't interest him. And he clearly wasn't fussed about evaporation. I did notice that a lot of lots hadn't met their optimistic reserves.
agoldf
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something over 2/3 of the top 50-60 or so lots had not met reserve.... that after the 2 day extension and with only hours to go....
site/next auction expected to be up in May but this auction still postponed indefinitely...
Draw your own conclusions.
But I would note that the site is genuinely down. they cannot accept payments either

torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agoldf wrote:
something over 2/3 of the top 50-60 or so lots had not met reserve.... that after the 2 day extension and with only hours to go....
site/next auction expected to be up in May but this auction still postponed indefinitely...
But I would note that the site is genuinely down. they cannot accept payments either

I agree, no way would an auction house pull a stunt of this magnitude it makes absolutely no sense. 2/3 is a lot not hitting reserve but remember that Whisky Auctioneer goes on for hours and hours after the final whistle at 7pm so we will never know what the outcome would be and if I was in that big league for buying I would want better fill levels and packaging.
Uncle Bobby
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:

It was presented as a concerted attack. The resolution for that will not be simple.

Not sure exactly how many auctions are still running at the moment but I dont think Whiskyhammer underperformed last week. I thought prices were pretty decent considering.
DillyT
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torcross wrote:
agoldf wrote:

I agree, no way would an auction house pull a stunt of this magnitude it makes absolutely no sense. 2/3 is a lot not hitting reserve but remember that Whisky Auctioneer goes on for hours and hours after the final whistle at 7pm so we will never know what the outcome would be and if I was in that big league for buying I would want better fill levels and packaging.

That is a good point but if you watch all the videos and make a count of what and how many bottles there were in the rare/ultra rare bracket and then see how many have been listed in the 1st and this auction there is a lot of bottles missing... So I am thinking that the people with 'the money' have got in touch before it started and made a deal. So what is left is for us and the people that do not have the cash to do these sorts of deals.
This is in my own opinion but have a count for your self's and you will be shocked.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DylanInYork wrote:
torcross wrote:
agoldf wrote:

That is a good point but if you watch all the videos and make a count of what and how many bottles there were in the rare/ultra rare bracket and then see how many have been listed in the 1st and this auction there is a lot of bottles missing... So I am thinking that the people with 'the money' have got in touch before it started and made a deal. So what is left is for us and the people that do not have the cash to do these sorts of deals.
This is in my own opinion but have a count for your self's and you will be shocked.

I also think Covid 19 has something to do with fewer people bidding, it stands to reason money has suddenly become very tight for some of us and that purchase for a special bottle of whisky has been superseded by the need to protect finances.
Whisky is a luxury not a necessity, unlike the cost of living.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
DylanInYork wrote:
torcross wrote:
agoldf wrote:

I also think Covid 19 has something to do with fewer people bidding, it stands to reason money has suddenly become very tight for some of us and that purchase for a special bottle of whisky has been superseded by the need to protect finances.
Whisky is a luxury not a necessity, unlike the cost of living.

I'd wager those that buy and collect luxury whisky are probably all working from home these days. I can't imagine many an essential worker or someone that has been furloughed by a high street retailer or fast food chain is in the habit of buying expensive bottles. Sweeping generalisation, of course. I'm basing that on the previous main auction and other auctions finished recently that didn't seem to be affected.
deadz101
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been contacted by WA regarding my account, had been advised to change my passwords for anything connected to my email account. I don’t think they are putting this on because of lower than expected prices from one or two auctions.

Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadz101 wrote:
I’ve been contacted by WA regarding my account, had been advised to change my passwords for anything connected to my email account. I don’t think they are putting this on because of lower than expected prices from one or two auctions.

I work in IT for a day job, and I know a thing or two about these cyber attacks. This was a DDoS attack followed by some hack (malware, ransomeware etc) - I don't think it is fair to say this was caused by WA.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd_xb wrote:
deadz101 wrote:

I work in IT for a day job, and I know a thing or two about these cyber attacks. This was a DDoS attack followed by some hack (malware, ransomeware etc) - I don't think it is fair to say this was caused by WA.

Nickolls & Perks had the same thing occur last year I think.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
Nickolls & Perks had the same thing occur last year I think.

Their website was antediluvian at that point tho...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: