www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Help me choose the next bottles, just starting out

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Help me choose the next bottles, just starting out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
-kk-

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Help me choose the next bottles, just starting out Reply with quote

Hi there, Ive been trawling through the pages and have mustered up the courage for my first post!

I decided on a whim few weeks ago to get a few bottles (just in time for lockdown). I got the following bottles and some accompanying comments:

1) Glenmorangie Original 10 year - its ok, but tasted a little plain, particularly next to the other two. Felt like a good 'starter' to get you going in the evening. Easy drinking. I take this neat.

2) Glenfiddich Malt Master's Edition - I really like the complexity on the nose this offers, and there is much more body in the palate to me. Keen to explore more along these lines. I take it neat and sometimes with a splash of water, like them both ways.

3) Laphroiag 10 year - Bloody blew me away. I knew from the first sip I've found home. Love the smokyness and the flavours coming behind it. I probably prefer to take this with a splash of water vs neat.

So, Ive been doing ALOT of reading here and online on whisky styles etc. I didnt want to just go all Islay straight away, seeing as Im such a novice and really just learning about the variety out there. I do know that I enjoy the Glenfiddich and Laphroaig much more than the Glenmorangie, so I am leaning more towards those 'styles'.

With the Laphroaig, thats clear cut in terms of seeking out other Islay / peaty varieties. With the Glenfiddich, Im not sure where to start? Being a special edition - does this make it any different to their standard offering? Id appreciate some guidance here.

The two bottles I am strongly considering next is Lagavulin 16 and Glendronach 12. Should I consider others? I have my sights on Ardbeg and Talisker 10 as well.

The trouble is, the more I read, the more confused I get - the choices are endless! I would welcome some suggstions and also some education on whether to next from the Glenfiddich.

Thanks!

arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The two bottles I am strongly considering next is Lagavulin 16 and Glendronach 12. Should I consider others? I have my sights on Ardbeg and Talisker 10 as well.

The trouble is, the more I read, the more confused I get - the choices are endless! I would welcome some suggstions and also some education on whether to next from the Glenfiddich.

If your liking the Laphroaig then the Laga, Ardbeg and Talisker are all good shouts to try. The Glendronach 12 is very nice but doesn't really stand similar to Glenffidach - you could try another Speyside like Balvenie or Glen Moray.

At this point, the Whisky world is your oyster so I'd say cast about and fill your boots.

Favourites I can recommend:

Non Peated
Deanston 12
Glengoyne 12
Glen Garioch 12
Old Pultney 12

Smoke rather than Peat
Highland Park 12
Benromach 12

Peat
Glendronach Tradiitionally Peated
Kilchoman
Ballechin 10
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don’t over do it if your a newbie, slowly slowly catch the monkey as they say, glenmo 10 is a must starter,

Last edited by ralfy legend on Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you loved Laphroaig 10 I would say you would love exploring all of the peaty Islay drams, check out Caol Ila, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Kilchoman and Port Charlotte from Bruichladdich

To narrow it down a little look out for:

Caol Ila 12
Lagavulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Port Charlotte 10
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts went to a half-way house, Highland Park or Benromach.
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Islay I think Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 should be your next approach, that way you've tasted the three iconic peat-heavy expressions. They're very different to Laph in their own way as well. If you want to explore more Laphroaig then the Quarter Cask is the obvious next step as a sweeter expression. Amazon regularly drop this to £28-£30 as well.

Non or less peated to consider:

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban - Don't give up on Glenmorangie yet! This is a very sweet Port-cask whisky. Definitely a good beginner's whisky because of the bold flavour.
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask - Rum Cask finish so again, lots of rich sweetness.
Glengoyne 12 - Already suggested, but it's a great shout, very flavourful
Glenfarclas 15 - Amazing Sherry Cask whisky.

And if you want something complex to challenge you:

Clynelish 14 - Amazon selling this for £36 at the moment! Insane bargain.

Also I recommend you check out a Campbeltown whisky, Kilkerran 12yr is very affordable so give that a go.

-kk-

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the replies. Lots to ponder!

I agree with all the suggestions about the other Islay varieties. I am definitely keen on those and will be working my way through them over the coming years Top Malt

I am keen to sample some of the non-peaty stuff as well.

Quote:
The Glendronach 12 is very nice but doesn't really stand similar to Glenffidach - you could try another Speyside like Balvenie or Glen Moray.

Different is what Im after right now! Balvenie is also on my (very long) list of things to try. Probably doublewood, but the peat week stuff is obviously intriguing to me. I will read up on Highland Park and Benromach as recommended by a couple.

Ralfy - the temptation to hoard a wide range of bottles at this stage is tough to resist. Alas, a good wife and young kids help keeps this in check!
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, there are good blends out there too. Search and you will find. Douglas Laing Big Peat will be good. Rock island, formetly known as Rock oyster would fit your taste buds. Smokehead is good. Then indi bottlers will have some good ones, but they will be 6 months away as you have a journey to go on.

Could venture to islands and coastal drams, Arran, Jura, Talisker, Oban, Old Pulteney, Scapa, Highland Park, in no order... its just a joy to pick up the entry level bottles first and then see and discover older age bottlings. Benromach 12 or 15 will give hints what you like. The Glenfiddich you tried, will be bettered by Balvenie Peat Week. But I'd go core ranges first, youve got rest of your life to splash the cash and buy big. If you have money then Id go Glendronach 18 or 21 ahead of 12 due to the Secret ageing. Buy a 21 now is likely to be a 24 or older, excellent value and sublime. Far superior than Macallan.

I dont think you'll find a bad one to be honest, but you'll find favourites. I like all regions and you'll be surprised in future if you try a lowland malt. Just dont disregard any Scottish whisky, and never ignore a blend, they're are just as good. Respect the craftsmanship in any blend. Search out the whisky flavour axis/map, on google many variations but the Clynelish 14 or Oban 14 sits bang middle and I'd say buy them, they are different and great drams
-kk-

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Ive not even thought about blends yet as Im still trying to get my head around what flavour profile(s) I favour. The map is super helpful in this regard!

Ive read really good things about Benromach and keen to try them, similarly with Balvenie. The Glendronach 21 is a bit extravagant for me at this point but who knows what birthdays and Chrismases will being Laughing

Just on Balvenie - Whats the different between Peat Week vs Peated Triple Cask?

My plan is to simply try a bunch of entry level bottles and try to navigate myself from there.

Would you guys recommend getting miniatures to sample more variety? Or is this an expensive way of doing it?

I think you're right about most bottles not being bad necessarily, I do enjoy all 3 bottles immensely and this trip down the whisky rabbit hole has gotten me quite excited about this journey of discovery!
MaltArfa
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another novice here.

I started with lockdown - no doubt one of many.

I've moved from Bourbons on to Scotch

My first two bottles of Scotch were Monkey Shoulder and Chivas Regal 12. The wife then bought me some miniatures from M&S to try. There are two own branded blends which I haven't opened yet but also two single malts which I have drunk half of...

M&S Speyside Single malt
Glengoyne 10

Both were very nice so I've ordered a bottle of Glen Moray Sherry Cask for £22 and a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 for £24 to try a briny Highland single malt.

I'm yet to sample an Islay but believe it or not I have two unopened miniatures in the cupboard that I was given as a gift several years ago and haven't touched yet:

Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg 17

Imagine my surprise when I found out the cost of a bottle of Ardbeg 17.....
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaltArfa wrote:
Another novice here.

My first two bottles of Scotch were Monkey Shoulder and Chivas Regal 12. The wife then bought me some miniatures from M&S to try. There are two own branded blends which I haven't opened yet but also two single malts which I have drunk half of...

M&S Speyside Single malt
Glengoyne 10

Both were very nice so I've ordered a bottle of Glen Moray Sherry Cask for £22 and a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 for £24 to try a briny Highland single malt.

I'm yet to sample an Islay but believe it or not I have two unopened miniatures in the cupboard that I was given as a gift several years ago and haven't touched yet:

Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg 17

You can probably sell that miniature for a few hundred pounds given how Ardbeg is largely for collectors now Laughing
MaltArfa
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
MaltArfa wrote:
Another novice here.

M&S Speyside Single malt
Glengoyne 10

Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg 17

You can probably sell that miniature for a few hundred pounds given how Ardbeg is largely for collectors now Laughing

Crikey...

This is the set I have. No tin unfortunately - just the two unopened bottles:

https://www.htfw.com/ardbeg-10-17-year-old-miniatures-gift-tin-17-year-old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: