www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Recommended Whisky Youtubes

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Recommended Whisky Youtubes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Apr 2018
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Recommended Whisky Youtubes Reply with quote

I know reviews are very personal things. Some people follow particular writers or presenters whilst shunning and disregarding the opinions or styles of others.

Putting that aside, I thought a thread for sharing links might be interesting, provided we accept they may not all be to everyone's taste.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Apr 2018
Posts: 405

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd kick off with some Roy and his latest recycled reviews #10 that have built a bit of a cult following. Here he does a quick fire opinion on 15 recent empty bottles ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-MGLQmxYAs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 742
Location: Fife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh so this will be good, when I first started whisky bout 6 or 7 years ago I started on ralfy hehe, he mad me laugh and I understood his ratings,, and whisky Wednesday joe,,things change so quick so lots more out there, there’s loads of muppets that to be fair I think they love to review bad,, Horst makes me feel good but it’s all just a guide and we all do our own thing in the end I suppose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 2349

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe at the thought of watching Ralfy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralfy's the undisputed king of YouTube Whisky channels, followed by Aqvavitae and then Horst Luening's reviews for Whisky.com. One thing I will say about Aquavitae though: I'm not that keen on the music, perhaps if it was more subtly in the background it wouldn't be as intrusive, but it's a great whisky channel regardless.

Whiskey Vault I also like quite a bit, but their reviews can often be underwhelming as they get distracted with side topics and just never flesh out the review they start. Also, is it just me who really doesn't like the "sketch show" nature of the episodes since they've moved to a proper studio? It's a very American thing and it just annoys the crap out of me, stick to the whisky *!

VinPF's No Nonsense Whisky is also worth a look for a more grounded take on whiskey tasting that's probably more in line with most of us than someone like Ralfy who can just reel off ten or more tasting notes in a heartbeat for each whisey he reviews.

James T wrote:
I cringe at the thought of watching Ralfy
I suspect you're not gonna be alone here, but I find him pretty straightforward and informative. Anything specific about his style that puts you off?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 1511
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant say I am a fan of any youtube whisky reviewers and James isn't alone in his opinion of Ralfy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 742
Location: Fife

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh hahaha I just knew this was going to be good lol, James t. Please explain lol, as my handle is ralfy legend this is a answer needed, restect your view but more info needed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 08 Feb 2010
Posts: 619

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I am with others with their opinion of Ralfy. I find his style cringeworthy and cant watch him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 144
Location: The Back End of Nowhere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigShing wrote:


James T wrote:
I cringe at the thought of watching Ralfy
I suspect you're not gonna be alone here, but I find him pretty straightforward and informative. Anything specific about his style that puts you off?



Hmmm, I cringe too. I guess he's attractive to watch for people with limited understand of whisky, but anyone who knows even an average amount has moved beyond what he can offer, and his "Xtras" are often poorly researched and understood.

You have asked for specifics - despite the fact he always says he's not an expert, he talks like he believes he is and comes across in his views that way too. Unfortunately many many people watch his videos like he's the Oracle. In reality, he actually doesn't know that much and I'd had to correct him a few times now around some of his more "technical" points, as they've just been plain wrong.

Nice bloke though, and he's done very well to build up a position where he can fund his drinking (and I imagine fund a lot more than that!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BigShing
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2019
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I feel his channel is geared more towards newbies and intermediate or more "casual" whisky drinkers than veterans or experts, but I see nothing wrong with that as long as the viewers approach it knowing that he might be offering inaccurate info from time to time.

The thing is though, and I think this speaks for his popularity, how many alternatives are there that post new episodes as frequently and sort of philosophise on whisky drinking as a culture rather than just sticking to the review and a little bit of info like Horst Leuning does? Considering we've seen this boom in the growth of whisky drinking over the last decade it's surprising the lack of channels on YouTube that are semi-professionally made with genuinely qualified experts running the show. I know the whiskey vault has Daniel Whittington who is supposed to be a proper high level whiskey sommelier and such, but much of his work is shared with that Rex Williams bloke who keeps interrupting and distracting him so the episodes they produce are kinda limited in how much info you get.

Of course, things are even worse for Brandy/Rum enthusiasts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 947
Location: Isca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
BigShing wrote:


James T wrote:
I cringe at the thought of watching Ralfy
I suspect you're not gonna be alone here, but I find him pretty straightforward and informative. Anything specific about his style that puts you off?



Hmmm, I cringe too. I guess he's attractive to watch for people with limited understand of whisky, but anyone who knows even an average amount has moved beyond what he can offer, and his "Xtras" are often poorly researched and understood.

You have asked for specifics - despite the fact he always says he's not an expert, he talks like he believes he is and comes across in his views that way too. Unfortunately many many people watch his videos like he's the Oracle. In reality, he actually doesn't know that much and I'd had to correct him a few times now around some of his more "technical" points, as they've just been plain wrong.

Nice bloke though, and he's done very well to build up a position where he can fund his drinking (and I imagine fund a lot more than that!)


Yeah off to find a forum for my limited knowledge. Coming from someone called who calls themselves The Master on a public forum I guess Hubris isnt your thing.

haha made me laugh this morning. I thought this was about vlogs not those who watch them. You sound just like someone who used to be around here..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 144
Location: The Back End of Nowhere

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, not sure about the point of your post, if it's in jest or not. This forum is open to, welcomes, and actively encourages members of all experience and knowledge level - that is entirely it's point.

My points about Ralf are my opinion. As someone with a lot of experience I find him lacking in knowledge and cringe-worthy to watch. Lots of people love watching him, hence his subscriber numbers. He's a clever bloke, he knows his audience and plays to them to sustain his income - nothing wrong with that, but I just wish people with limited knowledge of whisky wouldn't hold him up on a pedestal like he's some kind of whisky God. There is nothing wrong with his audience, everyone has to start somewhere....I'm making a point specifically about Ralf and how he portrays himself.


and I am The Master Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 25 Nov 2014
Posts: 742
Location: Fife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew this topic would set a few hearts pumping faster, for me ralfy was the first I watched and learned so much early doors, he just seems down to earth and a laugh to me, as we say each to there own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 21 May 2016
Posts: 947
Location: Isca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMaster wrote:
Hmmm, not sure about the point of your post, if it's in jest or not. This forum is open to, welcomes, and actively encourages members of all experience and knowledge level - that is entirely it's point.

My points about Ralf are my opinion. As someone with a lot of experience I find him lacking in knowledge and cringe-worthy to watch. Lots of people love watching him, hence his subscriber numbers. He's a clever bloke, he knows his audience and plays to them to sustain his income - nothing wrong with that, but I just wish people with limited knowledge of whisky wouldn't hold him up on a pedestal like he's some kind of whisky God. There is nothing wrong with his audience, everyone has to start somewhere....I'm making a point specifically about Ralf and how he portrays himself.


and I am The Master Laughing


Oh yes..

In jest, just a little heavy handed Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member


Joined: 27 Nov 2018
Posts: 144
Location: The Back End of Nowhere

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! I thought I'd inadvertently offended someone then!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2020 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.