www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Single grain whisky?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Single grain whisky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Single grain whisky? Reply with quote

Apologies if it's on the wrong forum, but seems most active on here. Fancy trying a bottle anybody got any recommendations. Or would you recommend not bothering. Not a style I'm familiar with. Would be happy spending no more than £50 for what would be a curiosity purchase.

Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Single Grain whisky.
Douglas Laing bottle some, check out their Old Particular range in grey colouring tubes such as Port Dundas, Cameronbridge for your price range. Good quality!
Loch Lomond single grain is uniquely pineapple flavour but would suggest a DL above.

Get great value older aged whiskies for excellent prices, I've got a couple of 40 year olds from Douglas Laing that cost in the region of £150.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoy a single grain Scotch whisky. Bear in mind that good single grains take a lot longer to mature usually at least 20 years. I have had some superb really aged ones such as Clan Denny Dumbarton 46 years old.
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best whiskies I've ever had was a single grain. Ok, it was a 50yo Cambus, but still.

I had a stunning Strathclyde 9yo from the Clan Denny range a while back that was very good. You have you just watch then, youth isn't the best thing with grain, it needs a lot of aging, but there are some stunners out there. The Strathclyde as a very active sherry butt which helped.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m no expert on grain but I enjoyed the teelings single grain but as l live only a mile n half from cameronbridge I was happy to try the Cameron brig finally but others posted are far better, many people have told me they are not to be over looked so enjoy .

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some very aged grains but they never come close to matching a single malt for complexity.
I would prefer to have a well crafted old blend from the 50's of 60`s than a 40 year old grain.
For under £50 I think you may struggle to get a grain of any quality unfortunately.

I had a nice 1984 Girvan 30 year cask G7.8 59.5% a few days ago that I got at 90p and one of the best grains I have had, but I usually score lower.
I
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a "The Whisky Shop" near you then head into there and try their selections in the barrels. I think it was a North British I had last and it was lovely.
It's in their "Glenkier Treasures" range.
Around £35 for a 50cl bottle.
webdunk
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peloquin wrote:
If you have a "The Whisky Shop" near you then head into there and try their selections in the barrels. I think it was a North British I had last and it was lovely.

That one was excellent. And a sneaky bargain as it was bottled at cask strength.

For Redders1974 :

Honestly £50 is maybe a bit of a low limit if you want a good grain. Grain gets really good with age ad as such attracts a higher price (much lower than an equivalently aged malt but still over £50).

I've had a couple of crackers at the lower end. And auctions can be a great hunting ground as the market is slow to waking up to the value of good grain.

Try any of these if you can :

This one is amazing for such a young grain - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/101316/strathclyde-2005-dl

Huge Rum hit from this unusually finished grain - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/103584/strathclyde-1987-whb

I've not had this one but have had good Cameronbridge around this age https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/cameron-bridge/cameronbridge-25-year-old-1991-cask-12086-clan-denny-douglas-laing-whisky/

And if you happen to fall in love and decide grain is for you, this blended grain from M&M is epic - https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/120879/old-perth-1971-mmck
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
Peloquin wrote:

That one was excellent. And a sneaky bargain as it was bottled at cask strength.

It was indeed, as was the Girvan, although that wasn't quite as nice imo.

That Cameronbridge was a real nice one. I managed to get a bottle from the Northwich shop Edencroft Wines
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

webdunk wrote:
Peloquin wrote:

That Cameronbridge was a real nice one. I managed to get a bottle from the Northwich shop Edencroft Wines

TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peloquin wrote:
webdunk wrote:
Peloquin wrote:

Oh no, don't tell the people of Nantwich that you're getting it mixed up with Northwich, they'll be riots on the cobbles!!!!
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody fone!
It hates me, I swear it does.
Of course you are right and it should have said Nantwich.
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Grain Whisky Samples Reply with quote

I tried an Invergordon 42 from That Boutique-y Whisky Company. It was excellent! A bit of an acquired taste to begin with, but very more-ish.

You can buy 3CL samples from MoM for about £11, which is expensive for the amount, but saves you buying the whole bottle.
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions guys . Got a bottle of Douglas Laing 13yo port Dundas in the cupboard. Not got round to opening yet but one to look forward to will update once opened. Top Malt
Peloquin
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice drink mate.
Another to look out for is "The Grain of Truth" from Tweeddale.
Around 50 quid to buy.
It's a massive Smokey hit of a drink.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: