www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Would you collect Macallan No 5?

 

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Would you collect Macallan No 5?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Henry
New Member
New Member


Joined: 03 Dec 2019
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Kilchosam
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 20 Nov 2019
Posts: 22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may as well. Your collection will be a lot more desirable if you have each edition.

Personally I wouldn't but collectors and drinkers have different priorities
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Redders1974
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2019
Posts: 66
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


I'm a drinker who tries to collect but I'm like a kid in a candy shop and never manage to leave them unopened . Sorry don't see how you can derive much pleasure in collecting whisky without appreciating it unless it's purely for profit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jason Bryan
Member
Member


Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 9
Location: South Kensington

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


Yes - the vertical series is always going to be more desirable. With reference to “a lot” then yes again. Seems like you doing for profit. So be prepared for a loooooooooong wait for gains. Like 10 - 15 years from the the release of the last bottle, dedicate a spare bedroom for your “treasure” and insure yourself to the hilt. I’m actually drinking the stuff though and bought deep reserves since release of number 1. This series is a good one and for me it’s all about number 2. Like the Macallan of old.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

Redders1974 wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


I'm a drinker who tries to collect but I'm like a kid in a candy shop and never manage to leave them unopened . Sorry don't see how you can derive much pleasure in collecting whisky without appreciating it unless it's purely for profit.


That's because if you can afford it, you buy two of them, or at least try to get a sample of what you have in your collection. Its a good way of knowing what you have in your collection and still keep an unopened bottle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

Jason Bryan wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


Yes - the vertical series is always going to be more desirable. With reference to “a lot” then yes again. Seems like you doing for profit. So be prepared for a loooooooooong wait for gains. Like 10 - 15 years from the the release of the last bottle, dedicate a spare bedroom for your “treasure” and insure yourself to the hilt. I’m actually drinking the stuff though and bought deep reserves since release of number 1. This series is a good one and for me it’s all about number 2. Like the Macallan of old.


One thing I discovered when looking to insure my whisky collection is that one or two home insurance companies weren't too happy about the prospect of having so much alcohol in one place due to the potential fire risk. They would insure, but then you also have to watch how much the maximum payout is under house insurance. Plus, if you did have a fire, they would probably find a way of weaseling out.

I found it easier and more secure to have my collection in a storage unit with a specialist insurance. Expensive in the long run, but the whisky is kept at a more or less constant temperature, and away from light. I know this isn't the aim of many collectors, but most of mine is for investment, and I have a much smaller drinking collection at home.

Plus - more importantly, it stops me 'accidently' opening some of my more expensive bottles!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jason Bryan
Member
Member


Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 9
Location: South Kensington

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

the_skottydog wrote:
Jason Bryan wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


Yes - the vertical series is always going to be more desirable. With reference to “a lot” then yes again. Seems like you doing for profit. So be prepared for a loooooooooong wait for gains. Like 10 - 15 years from the the release of the last bottle, dedicate a spare bedroom for your “treasure” and insure yourself to the hilt. I’m actually drinking the stuff though and bought deep reserves since release of number 1. This series is a good one and for me it’s all about number 2. Like the Macallan of old.


One thing I discovered when looking to insure my whisky collection is that one or two home insurance companies weren't too happy about the prospect of having so much alcohol in one place due to the potential fire risk. They would insure, but then you also have to watch how much the maximum payout is under house insurance. Plus, if you did have a fire, they would probably find a way of weaseling out.

I found it easier and more secure to have my collection in a storage unit with a specialist insurance. Expensive in the long run, but the whisky is kept at a more or less constant temperature, and away from light. I know this isn't the aim of many collectors, but most of mine is for investment, and I have a much smaller drinking collection at home.

Plus - more importantly, it stops me 'accidently' opening some of my more expensive bottles!
Indeed you are right re certain amount of cover etc with home insurance, Bruce Stevenson brokers are excellent. Giving my £40,000 collection stored at home maximum cover for around £300 per annum. These are the guys the big distillers use. Before that I used a storage facility with lazers etc but was way too expensive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that’s who I insure with as well. The cost was slightly higher for a storage location but to be honest I’m not that bothered as it takes up too much space at home. Plus we didn’t have many suitable places to keep whisky at a constant temperature.

Storage unit insurance was too expensive. Was quoted £3.50 per £1000.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 07 Dec 2018
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a fairly new collector - have built a decent collection now. But currently I do not have specific insurance cover, or do I have enough space at home to keep all the bottles safely. If I have to find a storage, what kind of cost will it be? and who provides such storage - the usual storage companies?

Thanks for your help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd_xb wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am a fairly new collector - have built a decent collection now. But currently I do not have specific insurance cover, or do I have enough space at home to keep all the bottles safely. If I have to find a storage, what kind of cost will it be? and who provides such storage - the usual storage companies?

Thanks for your help.


That's no bother. Each person will have their own requirements depending on the size and cost of their collection, so anything I say here will be general, and I am sure that anybody else with experience can add their comments,

As I don't know where you are located, I can't comment much on storage costs, but my 5.5sq m storage locker is about £75 per month without insurance. I recommend getting an indoor unit, as outdoor ones such as storage containers are not suitable. This is because that you experience larger temperature fluctuations, and are at greater risk of damp.

Temperature is crucial. Because all bottles have a certain amount of ullage (the air gap between the seal and the liquid) air expands and contracts with temperature a lot quicker than liquid. This puts strain on your seals, and can compromise the integrity of the seal. Therefore, unless you have a well insulated loft that remains at a constant temperature, that is also not a good place to store whisky, especially if you have bought it as an investment.

The other thing that is overlooked is packing of your collection. I have spent a considerable expense in making sure mine is well packed, as boxes do have to get stacked in a small storage unit. You know how whisky comes packed from an auctioneer? Well that's how I have packed mine, re-using packaging or I've bought my own air sac kit (you can buy air sacs and hand pump with boxes - I've used Macfarlane Packaging). I've also included Silca Gel sacks to help prevent damp and mould.

Also, you don't want to keep your parcels on the floor of a storage unit, just in case of a leak, so consider getting some shelving put in, or at least a pallet. Cardboard boxes have a habit of sticking to floors if there has been a slight amount of damp, and it will not help with temperature control if on a concrete or metal floor.

Lastly, insurance is a very important consideration. Check that your home insurance will actually cover you to store it at home. Some insurers have a maximum limit which can easily be overcome if you have something like one bottle of a more desireable Macallan. If you have a large collection, I know when I spoke to Direct Line, they were a bit nervous that I was keeping such a large amount of alcohol on site, and asked questions about fire proofing.

It is also important to keep a record of your collection, and as far as possible, keep proof of purchase / receipts.

You are best to look into specialist insurance. Try using brucestevenson.co.uk, as they are about the best around. I have used another insurer in the past, but they were almost £150 more expensive.

Last year I wrote articles about collecting whisky on my blog, and one of the series concerned storage - https://tastywhisky.home.blog/2019/06/24/gather-here-storing-your-collection/ so I hope this makes sense. I'm sure others will be glad to advise as well, I can only go by my experience.

Cheers
Scotty
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 07 Dec 2018
Posts: 51

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty, thanks for a detailed response. I am based near Cambridge - and have about 120+ bottles that I can consider 'collection' grade. I haven't really gone after the expensive whiskies - so individual bottles probably won't exceed £1000, and most are in the £100-£250 range.

I will definitely read your blog - thanks for sharing this information.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd_xb wrote:
Scotty, thanks for a detailed response. I am based near Cambridge - and have about 120+ bottles that I can consider 'collection' grade. I haven't really gone after the expensive whiskies - so individual bottles probably won't exceed £1000, and most are in the £100-£250 range.

I will definitely read your blog - thanks for sharing this information.


I have around 250 bottles with about 30 not being collectible. Most of mine range between £100 - £200 also. The current bottles I have that are worth the most is my Speyburn Flora and Fauna bottles of which I have 2. Current market value of those is around £2000.

For me it is just a hobby and the cost of storing and insuring I write off as a hobby. I’m not expecting to make a lot of money, but will be happy if the value beats inflation.

The blog has pictures which may make some of my points understandable.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions I’ll be happy to try and help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 463
Location: Lincolnshire England

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

Redders1974 wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


I'm a drinker who tries to collect but I'm like a kid in a candy shop and never manage to leave them unopened . Sorry don't see how you can derive much pleasure in collecting whisky without appreciating it unless it's purely for profit.


I agree with this, it is like owning a load of Ferrari and never getting behind the wheel so what's the point?
I like to look at a good bottle collection but never opening one is difficult for me to comprehend.
I don`t disagree with collecting or anything but in order to appreciate a collection you have knowledge of what you are collecting and why and that includes what it tastes like IMHO.
_________________
Pour me a glass please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the_skottydog
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member


Joined: 24 Jan 2020
Posts: 26
Location: Lower Speyside

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
Redders1974 wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


I'm a drinker who tries to collect but I'm like a kid in a candy shop and never manage to leave them unopened . Sorry don't see how you can derive much pleasure in collecting whisky without appreciating it unless it's purely for profit.


I agree with this, it is like owning a load of Ferrari and never getting behind the wheel so what's the point?
I like to look at a good bottle collection but never opening one is difficult for me to comprehend.
I don`t disagree with collecting or anything but in order to appreciate a collection you have knowledge of what you are collecting and why and that includes what it tastes like IMHO.


It’s simple. You can taste by looking online. Some retailers sell sample size bottles. Or go to a whisky bar (tons of them in Scotland) where you may see the dram so you can try it. Or you can just buy two bottles.

The joy is sometimes in just owning something or maybe the effort it took to locate it. Each to their own just as some like ice in their single malt and others don’t. I prefer coke or sprite to ice personally 😉
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts


Joined: 23 Dec 2007
Posts: 463
Location: Lincolnshire England

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Would you collect Macallan No 5? Reply with quote

the_skottydog wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
Redders1974 wrote:
Henry wrote:
I'm not a drinker but love to collect whiskey. I have macallan no 1-4. Should I buy a lot of the macallan No 5? It's going for $150 by where I live.


I'm a drinker who tries to collect but I'm like a kid in a candy shop and never manage to leave them unopened . Sorry don't see how you can derive much pleasure in collecting whisky without appreciating it unless it's purely for profit.


I agree with this, it is like owning a load of Ferrari and never getting behind the wheel so what's the point?
I like to look at a good bottle collection but never opening one is difficult for me to comprehend.
I don`t disagree with collecting or anything but in order to appreciate a collection you have knowledge of what you are collecting and why and that includes what it tastes like IMHO.


It’s simple. You can taste by looking online. Some retailers sell sample size bottles. Or go to a whisky bar (tons of them in Scotland) where you may see the dram so you can try it. Or you can just buy two bottles.

The joy is sometimes in just owning something or maybe the effort it took to locate it. Each to their own just as some like ice in their single malt and others don’t. I prefer coke or sprite to ice personally 😉


I appreciate what you are saying but I don`t live in Scotland and most pubs where I am located only have regular stuff.
I agree you may be able to but a sample from te Masters of Malt or places like that but their prices for samples do not offer value.
Buying 2 bottles well I suppose it depends on your pockets and what you collect, I used to collect (and drink) Brora and other closed distilleries plus old Highland Park, some of that stuff was difficult to get a sample from, anyway they all got opened and I enjoyed them.
Going back to Macallan you are collecting a name because the quality of the spirit is not even close to what their reputation was built on. I won`t collect whisky I think is of poor quality relative to the price, but I suppose you can say that about most whisky these days sadly.
I have tried some great old Macallan and some of the new stuff most of which I was disappointed with unfortunately hence my viewpoint.
_________________
Pour me a glass please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
 Drink Safely   Add Your Site   Other Whisky Sites    Links   Contact Us 

 

© 2020 www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk All rights reserved.

This website was produced in Scotland.