www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Whisky Reply with quote

Bottled for the 100th Anniversary of Canada's Confederation
Gooderham & Worts Canadian distillery closed in the 1980's I believe?

Blend

Well, well, well unfortunately for various reasons I usually regard Canadian whiskey as pretty poor and I am being polite on that score but this whiskey has blown that theory out the water.
On the nose this is like an American bourbon but better, it is all on treacle tart, pecan pie, Marlborough tart, mashed banana and spice.
The palate is mellow, not sweet but perfectly balanced with a good depth of profile.
Apologies I stopped making notes at this point as I was enjoying too much.
My only negative is some slight bitterness in the finish otherwise this would be a 90 pointer.
You have to try as much as you can, this is quality from an aged Canadian and a very pleasant surprise, what a glorious nose this has, really lovely.
Perhaps after drinking 3 really ordinary whiskies this was given extra elevation so to speak but that is the beauty of all whiskies and trying as much as you can, you never know what is round the corner.

The best Canadian whisky I have tried so far, by a country mile as we say in England.

Nose
Taste
Finish

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Wh Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:

Blend

Well, well, well unfortunately for various reasons I usually regard Canadian whiskey as pretty poor and I am being polite on that score but this whiskey has blown that theory out the water.
On the nose this is like an American bourbon but better, it is all on treacle tart, pecan pie, Marlborough tart, mashed banana and spice.
The palate is mellow, not sweet but perfectly balanced with a good depth of profile.
My only negative is some slight bitterness in the finish otherwise this would be a 90 pointer.
You have to try as much as you can, this is quality from an aged Canadian and a very pleasant surprise, what a glorious nose this has, really lovely.
Perhaps after drinking 3 really ordinary whiskies this was given extra elevation so to speak but that is the beauty of all whiskies and trying as much as you can, you never know what is round the corner.

The best Canadian whisky I have tried so far, by a country mile as we say in England.

Nose
Taste
Finish

In 1990, the Gooderham and Worts distillery complex was closed and was eventually converted into the Distillery District, including the Young Centre for the Performing Arts that opened in 2006. I have been to the Distillery District many times while visiting Toronto. The Hiram Walker & Sons Distillery is still in operation, now owned by Pernod Ricard. Corby Distilleries, owned by Hiram Walker, continues to make a Gooderham & Worts brand whisky. The Gooderhan & Worts Four Grain is exceptionally good if you can get a hold of it. It is still produced as are others. I have a number of bottles myself. There is also the Gooderham & Worts 11 Souls and the Gooderham & Worts Little Trinity Three Grain Blend and the Gooderham & Worts 49 Wellington.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Wh Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:

Blend

Nose
Taste
Finish

In 1990, the Gooderham and Worts distillery complex was closed and was eventually converted into the Distillery District, including the Young Centre for the Performing Arts that opened in 2006. I have been to the Distillery District many times while visiting Toronto. The Hiram Walker & Sons Distillery is still in operation, now owned by Pernod Ricard. Corby Distilleries, owned by Hiram Walker, continues to make a Gooderham & Worts brand whisky. The Gooderhan & Worts Four Grain is exceptionally good if you can get a hold of it. It is still produced as are others. I have a number of bottles myself. There is also the Gooderham & Worts 11 Souls and the Gooderham & Worts Little Trinity Three Grain Blend and the Gooderham & Worts 49 Wellington.

That's really interesting, thanks.
I will look out for them, I have a 30 year old Alberta Premium to try, have you tried it?
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gooderham's 1952/1967 15 year Centennial 40% Canadian Wh Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
Quaich1 wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:

Blend

Nose
Taste
Finish

That's really interesting, thanks.
I will look out for them, I have a 30 year old Alberta Premium to try, have you tried it?

You're welcome. I haven't tried the 30 year but the standard Alberta Premium Whisky is very good. There is also a 20 year old rye and a cask strength rye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: