www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Buying whisky for investment

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Buying whisky for investment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tosh816

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Buying whisky for investment Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
i'm new to the site although I've been drinking whisky socially only for quite some years. I normally buy from small shops and supermarkets, however on a recent visit to the whiskey shop in Nottingham I was astounded by the price of some of the special/collectors bottles and having spoken to the staff there they told me that whiskey is a wonderful investment.
My question is, are the bottles of Malt that I can find in supermarkets worth buying as investment or should I be looking for something a bit better

Regards

Toshy

Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, it's just your luck really.

Several years ago, my father picked up a bottle of Loch Dhu 10 from a local supermarket for around £10 (he never bought it with the intention of drinking it, it was more for the fact that it was unusual). Fast forward around 20 years, and it's now selling for around £200. Markets change, some distilleries become silent, new distilleries start up...

So, just because a whisky is being sold at regular supermarket prices, it's not to say that it might not increase in value. Besides, isn't it better to take a gamble on something costing (say for example) £30 as opposed to £300? Cool
deadz101
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point I bought aberlour a’bunah for £35 and sold it for £45 a few months later, I was rich I tell ye. Seriously though, buy bottles that you like, there’s no guarantee that any one bottle is going to make money over the other unless it’s a yamazaki sherry cask from 2013 at retail.

Saying that, a girl’s father in my local bought a Macallan 18 every Christmas for the princely sum of £20, but never touched them, he did this for ten years. They recently sold his collection £10k and split it between the three daughters.
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this and it reminded me of this thread...

Despite the (very) high retail price it's now fetching, there are bound to be some future investments out there on supermarket shelves - they may just take a bit longer to appreciate in value Cool
BigShing
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the days of supermarkets doing a special bottling of something appealing to collectors are almost dead, I'd argue that Aldi's Xmas special Glen Marnoch is the only supermarket whisky left that could end up fetching the kinda price 45yrs from now that Tesco Campbeltown is now fetching. These days your supermarket whiskies are either NAS or a 12yr Highland/Speyside at best.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I possible exception looks to be the German Lidl offerings but they remain un-named despite decent age and better ABV.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: