www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Whyte and Mackay 50 Year Old - Page 3

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Whyte and Mackay 50 Year Old
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcirulis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 yr old whyte and mackay Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
dcirulis wrote:
YES I have won a bottle being delivered by DHL tomorrow anyone interested in purchasing this for their collection... Dubbed as money cant buy and they say worth £5000.... open to offers!

I was not sure if this post was a mickey take at first but if it is not then, you are quite right money could not buy it as it was free in a raffle.

As worth £5000, if you think that you need to see a doctor quickly as you are obviously very ill suffering with episodes of delusion. Rolling Eyes

But on a serious note I think it is really sad that most people who entered this raffle by the looks of it only had one thought and that was to sell it on, such a shame.

It is the way the whole whisky scene is going at the moment.

Whyte and Mackay themselves valued it at £5k as has and will Never be released as a sale to general public item Old and rare whisky online are currently selling at £2500. Im gunna hang on to mine a few years as Im sure a collector (maybe not in the UK ) will want it. (once a few of these have been opened and drunk rarity will prevail). and as regards seeing a doctor we will have to wait and see who is right and who is wrong lol

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 50 yr old whyte and mackay Reply with quote

dcirulis wrote:
lincoln imp wrote:
dcirulis wrote:
YES I have won a bottle being delivered by DHL tomorrow anyone interested in purchasing this for their collection... Dubbed as money cant buy and they say worth £5000.... open to offers!

I was not sure if this post was a mickey take at first but if it is not then, you are quite right money could not buy it as it was free in a raffle.

As worth £5000, if you think that you need to see a doctor quickly as you are obviously very ill suffering with episodes of delusion. Rolling Eyes

But on a serious note I think it is really sad that most people who entered this raffle by the looks of it only had one thought and that was to sell it on, such a shame.

It is the way the whole whisky scene is going at the moment.

Whyte and Mackay themselves valued it at £5k as has and will Never be released as a sale to general public item Old and rare whisky online are currently selling at £2500. Im gunna hang on to mine a few years as Im sure a collector (maybe not in the UK ) will want it. (once a few of these have been opened and drunk rarity will prevail). and as regards seeing a doctor we will have to wait and see who is right and who is wrong lol

Very respectfully here but what W&M say it is worth is irrelevant, they are not going to put a low value on it, the whole point of this exercise is to put a spotlight on the brand , it is all about marketing.
As for the £2500 in a shop, so what , it will be there in a few years still for sale, have no worries on that score.
In a general sense it is difficult to value because none were sold at retail so all we can look to is auction prices that at the moment are as low as £600 and as high as £1000 but there could be some manipulation on that score who knows, I am just throwing it out there?
We will have to see what prices are like in a years time to get a more accurate valuation.

What will affect their value is independent reviews form people who have cracked a bottle open and given an honest assessment, if it is an excellent whisky the value will go up, if it is only mediocre it will go down.
As you say we will have to wait and see.?
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a review on thewhiskyphiles

Overall
Incredibly juicy and sweet for a whisky of this age, there is plenty of wood as you’d expect but delivered perfectly. I could have spent hours alone just nosing this one even though the palate was just as supreme.
Score 96/100

And another on the edinburghwhiskyblog

Overall: A monster of a whisky – those sherry casks really take control and deliver one helluva punch. The nose is fantastic, full of rich fruits and earthy spices. The palate errs on the sulphury side of things at the start, what with those copper coins and struck match notes, but then those dark fruits come back with a vengeance to redeem things along with firm oak and baking spices. For those who love heavily sherried whisky, this is right up your street, and for the price of a bottle of entry level Whyte & Mackay, it could be yours.
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm led to believe (having spoken to a reputable source), it's not just full bottles out there waiting to be tasted - apparently, members of Whyte & Mackay staff were gifted miniatures of the 50 year old.

When I asked what their opinion of it was, I was simply told that it didn't last long enough!
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:
There is a review on thewhiskyphiles

Overall
Incredibly juicy and sweet for a whisky of this age, there is plenty of wood as you’d expect but delivered perfectly. I could have spent hours alone just nosing this one even though the palate was just as supreme.
Score 96/100

And another on the edinburghwhiskyblog

Overall: A monster of a whisky – those sherry casks really take control and deliver one helluva punch. The nose is fantastic, full of rich fruits and earthy spices. The palate errs on the sulphury side of things at the start, what with those copper coins and struck match notes, but then those dark fruits come back with a vengeance to redeem things along with firm oak and baking spices. For those who love heavily sherried whisky, this is right up your street, and for the price of a bottle of entry level Whyte & Mackay, it could be yours.

These are good reviews for sure by people who were gifted samples. I know someone who has a friend who said it was awful so not everyone is on the same hymn sheet.

I certainly don`t think W&M would put something sub standard out but I take these sort of reviews with a big pinch of salt.

It is a heavily sherried whisky so it will not suit everyone?
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the £5k headline price right now and only time will tell what they end up being worth. No bitterness towards winners and no hard feeling to sellers. For some selling this one bottle could pay for a number of other bottles and for others it could be valuable money that pays their bills.

Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Old and Rare Whisky have now sold out of the 50cl bottles (after them being reduced to £1000 each) and are now selling double measures (2 x 25ml samples, originally gifted to Whyte & Mackay employees) for £299!
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winfield wrote:
I see Old and Rare Whisky have now sold out of the 50cl bottles (after them being reduced to £1000 each) and are now selling double measures (2 x 25ml samples, originally gifted to Whyte & Mackay employees) for £299!

Sharks end of, there is being greedy but this takes greed to a whole new level;

They bang on about `Why whisky is the new investment` well it is sites like this that are killing the industry.

Now investment is the way forward with whisky, whatever happened to just enjoying it?
STUDOGG37
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked a bottle open at the weekend to celebrate our friends 50th birthday, we all agreed this was a fantastic dram, way better than what anyone was expecting. Very fortunate to have a bottle of this Top Malt .
Rhoad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Whyte and mackay 50yr old 175th anniversary Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Whyte and mackay 50yr old recently?
I see there is a bottle for sale at robertsons of Pitlochry..
Is it worth buying as a investment?
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Whyte and mackay 50yr old 175th anniversary Reply with quote

Rhoad wrote:

There are a few reviews online and I'd suggest looking at prices over recent auctions for comparison.
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without even looking, it'll be sky high at Robertson. Probably cheaper buying at auction.

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Whyte and mackay 50yr old 175th anniversary Reply with quote

Rhoad wrote:

Whether it is worth it as an investment depends on how much you paid for it in the first place?
The next question is how long are you prepared to wait to see gains, 3, 5, 10 years etc.

Personally I don`t think it will appreciate quickly in the next 5 years as it is already at a high ceiling price wise at auction.
You also need to remember it is a 50cl bottle and some punter's will be conscious that some lucky people got is for nothing so it puts them off buying it, that is human nature nothing more.
Winfield
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Asda earlier, I noticed that they're running this promotion again (albeit on a smaller scale than last time).

There's another 50 bottles up for grabs exclusively to Asda customers - look out for the tab on the bottle neck of 70cl bottles.
Crossroads
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bottle for sale on this forum for a competitive price, see the sales thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: