www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Any gems available at duty-free shops?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Any gems available at duty-free shops?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheekobonavista
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Any gems available at duty-free shops? Reply with quote

I recently took a flight from Indonesia to Hawaii. I picked up a bottle of Ballantine's 17 year at a duty-free shop in Japan for around $80USD. It isn't unpleasant to sip, but it pales in comparison to Balvenie 14 year Caribbean Cask($70USD), which I’m drinking now side-by side. Glad I didn’t splurge for the $130USD Ballantine’s 21 year.
I’ve had a fair few blends I’ve enjoyed throughout my Scottish whisky journey. Famous Grouse, Black Grouse, Johnny Walker Black and Green, Chivas Regal 12, Isle of Sky, and Monkey Shoulder come to mind as blends I’ve liked.
A good portion of my Ballentine’s 17 has went towards Rusty Nails. It didn’t hold up well in a Rob Roy. I have tried a dram of Johnny Walker Blue, smooth, but now worth $200USD.
Are there any gems out there? Especially in duty-free? I live in Hawaii, there are plenty of single malts but few premium blends.
PS – Isle of Sky 8 makes a great Rob Roy!

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chivas 18 Ultimate Cask Collection First Fill American Oak Finish is an outstanding premium blended whisky which is available in travel retail, http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/chivas18ultimatecaskcollection.htm

The Johnnie Walker Black Label 12 and Doubleblack are hard to beat for value/quality. Plus there are a few interesting new Johnnie Wlaker travel retail editions available to try, some info on them here http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/johnniewalkerblacklabeloriginseries.htm

Not sure if you would be able to get hold of these in travel retail but they are worth looking out for, Hankey Bannister has some very good blends, the Hankey Banister Heritage Blend and 21 year old are both very good. Cutty Sark 12 and Cutty Sark Prohibiton Edition are both very good.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
The Chivas 18 Ultimate Cask Collection First Fill American Oak Finish is an outstanding premium blended whisky which is available in travel retail, http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/chivas18ultimatecaskcollection.htm.
I would 2nd this recommendation if you can get hold of it, a superb blended whisky.
cheekobonavista
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll keep my eye open for those. Especially The Chivas 18 Ultimate Cask Collection First Fill American Oak Finish, as I've always had a soft spot for Chivas 12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: