www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - The right glass

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The right glass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: The right glass Reply with quote

Since my adventure into whisky the one thing that surprised me a lot was the glass, what a difference it makes drinking from the right glass, now for me the glencairn was my go to glass I didn’t think it could be beat! Well for Christmas I received a copita from a close friend , and wow again it’s made a big difference and is now my go to glass when trying new whiskies, what’s your favourite glass?

Last edited by ralfy legend on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hugo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use a glencairn whisky tasting glass
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugo, have you tried a copita? Only my view but the copita nose is just so awesome.
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l always use a copita style tasting glass, they are not as hard wearing as a standard Glencairn glass and I have lost count of how many I have broken but I wouldn't use a glencairn if I have copita available.
Hugo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Hugo, have you tried a copita? Only my view but the copita nose is just so awesome.
Yes I have tried a copita, it is great for tasting but I prefer the chunkier bottomed glencairn for holding.
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quite a few of the Glencairns and I like them, but prefer my Copita glasses like the rest of you to be honest.

Last edited by Timp on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combine the two. Buy a Glencairn Copita lol
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:
Combine the two. Buy a Glencairn Copita lol

And they exist too Very Happy

I've got some Ardbeg tasting glasses which I use when doing proper tasting notes as the nose gives up more. It's like a little Glencairn with a stem. I use a Glencairn for normal drinking though, I just prefer it.
rainbow79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not quite orthodox for a whisky drinker what I use....but I guess the right thing is what it works for you, isn't it? I used to have glencairn glasses, but a few years back I tried a Conac style glass which came with a 20cl JW Blue label gift pack. From that point in time, I can't live without that glass. What that glass gives me is nothing comparable with others. I broke it a year ago, and I was really struggling to find exactly the very same glass, but fortunately after trying hard, I was able to find it.
Jez Hellewell
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T K Maxx often have some excellent quality glassware in. I have picked up Reidl wine glasses from there, very cheaply, in the past. Anyone wishing to experiment may wish to go & have a browse!
I always use the Glencairn, but will now give other glasses a try.
TheMaster
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting how often glasses are overlooked and many assume that your old fashioned whisky tumbler is what you should drink whisky out of, mainly because that's what they see people drinking out of on TV or films.

Tumblers are the worst thing, almost all of the nose will pass by you and as there is nothing to contain it in the glass it's loosing molecules just sitting there.

Ideally, you want a glass with a bowl shaped bottom that can be swirled so that it agitates the whisky and a mouth that closes together to restrict the area of loss and minimize the area that molecules can travel in past your nose - so your classic Glencairn shape. Obviously, any similar shape works, hence the Copita, and as everyone has a different nose some people find a bigger opening better, others smaller.

I also like the fact that if I ever serve anyone whisky at home in a Glencairn, they've can't fit any ice in it, but saying that I wouldn't invite such people to my house anyway Laughing

I rarely drink quality spirits outside the house (bars and pubs) because you always get it in a tumbler. If I ever do I always ask for a brandy glass, or white wine glass at best - both of which tend to get odd looks.
Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I just want a relaxing dram and no fuss, Glencairn. When I want to tinker and "study" a whisky to see how the flavors evolve, Copita.

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drame Blanche wrote:
When I just want a relaxing dram and no fuss, Glencairn. When I want to tinker and "study" a whisky to see how the flavors evolve, Copita.

This.

Although I’m often ‘studying’ Laughing

Just an observation that tumblers (whilst I LOVE an old style solid glass tumbler from the 70’s), you know a proper jaw breaker, weight is perfect; it shouldn’t be overlooked that they were used to serve primarily rubbish blends full of ice. A wide mouth so you can’t smell how shonky the spirit was and enough room to jam as much ice in again, perhaps with a mixer so you didn’t have to experience the nastiness beneath.

I was bought some ‘Norlan’ glasses a while back. Essentially it’s a blown glencairn that sits in a tumbler. I love the aesthetics and the feel. Whilst it’s totally superfluous it does have a place in my cabinet and I roll it often when drinking rum.
Cobra
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the tuath glass looks an interesting alternative to the glencairn
soderd
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im really temted to get the macallan glasses.
i like the look of them, have no clue of what should be used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: