www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Daftmill 2006 - Winter Batch Release

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Daftmill 2006 - Winter Batch Release
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Daftmill 2006 - Winter Batch Release Reply with quote

above available for £93 at Master of Malt for anybody interested.

Cheers

deadz101
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I’ve grabbed one
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the last bottle in my nearest whisky shop 20 miles away, cracked it open immediately.
Very nice bottle.
torcross
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is coming this morning with a bottle of the Clynelish 20 Artful Dodger from TWE. Totally different but no point pretending they will both be cracked open tonight.
Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find any stock anywhere online. Guess I missed it for good...

Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd_xb wrote:

They have 2 here
https://whiskyinternationalonline.com/product/daftmill-winter-2006-release-46/

but a bottle will cost you £300, from this shop in Edinburgh, they have only been out a few days with a release price of £90-£95?

I am afraid you will have to wait until the next round of auctions. Like you I tried hard to get hold of one of the first 2 releases and missed out, I definitely believe they should have been limited to one bottle per customer so people had a better chance of getting one.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They now have only one bottle left and it has gone up from £300 to £480?
I know shops will charge what the market will stand but this sort of greed is killing the whisky industry for the average consumer.
But I suppose if people are willing to pay it etc, there is always 2 ways of looking at it?
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a 'real' retailer, just some people who buy releases and resell them. They seem to do a lot of distillery visits and resell distillery-exclusives elsewhere. I'd wager all of their stock is bought at retail not wholesale.
Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:
It's not a 'real' retailer, just some people who buy releases and resell them. They seem to do a lot of distillery visits and resell distillery-exclusives elsewhere. I'd wager all of their stock is bought at retail not wholesale.

I guess that's where the line between a flipper and a "retailer" blurs. They are a retailer, formally, they might buy at retail price some specific expressions, but it's all VAT-free for them anyway.

That's also why I don't understand people flipping because people buy Mac LE's to re-sell, but MoM buying stocks of Bowmore 19 from Amazon or stuff like WIO is fine. It's exactly the same thing, just on a different scale. In fact, MoM and TWE are increasingly stocking "private releases", i.e. one-off bottles people sell to them and that they then sell on at very questionable prices.

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drame Blanche wrote:
davidbe wrote:

I guess that's where the line between a flipper and a "retailer" blurs. They are a retailer, formally, they might buy at retail price some specific expressions, but it's all VAT-free for them anyway.

That's also why I don't understand people flipping because people buy Mac LE's to re-sell, but MoM buying stocks of Bowmore 19 from Amazon or stuff like WIO is fine. It's exactly the same thing, just on a different scale. In fact, MoM and <a>TWE</a> are increasingly stocking "private releases", i.e. one-off bottles people sell to them and that they then sell on at very questionable prices.

TWE have also in the past I believe purchased from well known on line auction houses in the UK and then put them on their site with a massive mark up, so it pays to go to auction sometimes.
davidbe
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drame Blanche wrote:
davidbe wrote:

That's also why I don't understand people flipping because people buy Mac LE's to re-sell, but MoM buying stocks of Bowmore 19 from Amazon or stuff like WIO is fine. It's exactly the same thing, just on a different scale. In fact, MoM and <a>TWE</a> are increasingly stocking "private releases", i.e. one-off bottles people sell to them and that they then sell on at very questionable prices.

MoM's 'private collection' sales match what whiskeyinternationalonline do. The Bowmore was the same price on MoM as it was on Amazon, which makes me think they were acquired some other way and not through retail, as there'd be nothing in it for MoM had they bought them off Amazon, would there?
Drame Blanche
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidbe wrote:

MoM's 'private collection' sales match what whiskeyinternationalonline do. The Bowmore was the same price on MoM as it was on Amazon, which makes me think they were acquired some other way and not through retail, as there'd be nothing in it for MoM had they bought them off Amazon, would there?

I should have qualified that - whilst there is no flipper logic there, I do put the Bowmore MoM thing at the same moral level as "private collections".

Amazon had an exclusivity deal, that's what they stated: "We can confirm that only 4500 bottles (350 9Ls) of Bowmore 19-year-old have been produced and all stock is solely distributed through Amazon.
If the whisky is indeed available through other retailers, this is the result of secondary wholesaling by Amazon customers."

So in my mind MoM bought them and re-sold them purely for branding purposes, to show even they could offer an "exclusive to Amazon" whisky. It sounds bonkers, but business people are bonkers.

Fun fact: you can now buy the whisky on Amazon from flippers at £154 :D

More on topic - is this Daftmill that good to justify £90+ for a 12 year old? 'Cause I don't understand why people go nuts to buy it. I tried the inaugural version, it was good, but by no means something I'd spend money on.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Drame Blanche"]
davidbe wrote:

More on topic - is this Daftmill that good to justify £90+ for a 12 year old? 'Cause I don't understand why people go nuts to buy it. I tried the inaugural version, it was good, but by no means something I'd spend money on.

I agree that £95 is pretty expensive for a 12 year old generally and I have the same sentiments but when you put it in perspective that it is a from distillery run by one man on a farm who had a business case to wait 12 years before bottling then it is much more palatable to me and worth it.

If I can put it in perspective look what Annadale want for a 3 year old, about £150, look what Kingsbarn will want when they bottle a 3 year old, look what you pay for a Lakes distillery bottling.

Daftmill is the only new distillery that is waiting anything approaching double figures before bottling, they should be commended for that.

Also this bottling reminds me of some Rosebanks I have had, so its no bad thing is it?
CountDramcula

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rd_xb wrote:

I picked up 2 with a view to keeping one long term but I'll consider selling the other if someone is willing to pay me a fair price; i.e much less than the recent sale prices online but preferably more than I paid! I've put it in the for sale section if you're interested....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: