www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Game of Thrones - Page 9

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Game of Thrones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delboyscap
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there will be a second round of releases as some have suggested? So far I have been pleasantly surprised by Diageo and the numbers being (for them anyway) relatively low, but the cynic in me keeps waiting for more to be released and the even bigger cynic waiting for a House Dorne some type of Brora release.

unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the second release was already done theres some at royal mile whiskies as far as i know
technolog1c

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delboyscap wrote:
Does anyone know if there will be a second round of releases as some have suggested? So far I have been pleasantly surprised by Diageo and the numbers being (for them anyway) relatively low, but the cynic in me keeps waiting for more to be released and the even bigger cynic waiting for a House Dorne some type of Brora release.

There's been loads more releases - Loch Fyne Whiskies and The Whisky Exchange have sold out of their sets at £400 each over the past couple of days.
CaptMac

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve fallen right into the marketing trap and ordered a set from Loch Fyne. Due for delivery in early June.

I was brought up in Oban at least, and I watch the show! I drink a fair amount of the golden stuff too, so I’m sure I’ll find a use for it!
Dave h
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the most sought after bottles? or short supply?
Delboyscap
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh forgive me, being in Australia is much like a parallel universe. We often get limited releases months after the rest of the world. The reason I asked was there are rumours that we will be due for another release here in Australia which I found a bit far fetched but if there have been more releases in Europe then maybe not....

AB53Coo
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the final season finished, fizzling out rather than going out with a bang. And with the large amounts of "limited" bottles that's were released I think I'll be opening these and using the storage space for other collectibles
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A day(ish) of Clynelish inc GoT
http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivemay19-2-Cragganmore-Clynelish-Benrinnes.html#200519

Last edited by MattS on Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are really starting to 'shelf sit' at retailers. Maybe tempted by Royal Lochnagar and Clynelish. Nothing else.
Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Diageo is launching two new limited edition bottles for GoT
http://drampedia.com/two-new-johnnie-walker-game-of-thrones-limited-editions/
unblended
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see these are in duty free at the same prices as the normal whisky shop prices

richard
GM70047
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="unblended"]i see these are in duty free at the same prices as the normal whisky shop prices

richard[/quote]

and hundreds available everywhere

Rd_xb
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two new bottles - Johnnie Walker, A Song of Fire and Ice Limited Edition - are available for pre order with Amazon, expected delivery in October.

Not sure if worth trying though.
Jd345

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party having been away for the first part of this year and not being a watcher of the tv show. The dust seems to have settled on both the tv and the whisky series. I can't find any information about a re-issue, so I'm wondering if any of these are good enough/unique to buy before they slowly disappear from circulation.

The three that I'm considering are the lagavulin, the talisker and the clynelish.

All the rest are either re-bottlings or are very similar to existing expressions (winters frost vs winters gold, little bay vs little bay reserve etc). Unless offered cheaper I don't see any reason to seek out and buy one of these specials vs what's already offered.

The aforementioned three do seem like distinct offerings, but they're all sold at a premium:

Lagavulin GOT 9yo averages £65, about £10 more expensive than the 8yo.
Talisker GOT averages £45, about £10 more expensive than a Talisker £10yo.
Clynelish GOT averages £48, about £5 more expensive than its 14yo offering.

In reviews the talisker is said to be very similar to a standard bottle of the 10yo. I can't see anything unique enough about it to make me pay more for it, nor is talisker one of my personal favourites.

The lack of age statement about the clynelish is annoying, though the distillery doesn't seem to offer a similar NAS standard whisky. All I've ever tried is their usual 14yo, so a slightly different offering does interest me, and is only £5 more expensive so seems reasonable. It has also been reviewed as reasonable. Next month I'll probably get a bottle to try, and maybe another to save if I like it so I've something to accompany a normal clynelish in the future. Still, paying nearly £50 for a NAS bottle isn't appealing.

The lagavulin also interests me, against my better judgement. It's more expensive than their 16yo and lagavulin already offers an 8yo and a 10yo, so why go out of my way for this one? I'm not even a peat diehard, I just like a bottle of lagavulin on the shelf. It's been favourably reviewed so amongst all the other ages I would like to try it - and there'd be something satisfying about having a bottle of 8, 9 and 10yo sat next to each other on the shelf. Lagavulin always seems to be releasing new expressions of a different age, but I can't see them doing another 9 again for a little while. Worth a couple of bottles then in the same way as the clynelish?

Anyone else having similar thoughts or have any particular reasons for me to steer clear?
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jd345 wrote:

Anyone else having similar thoughts or have any particular reasons for me to steer clear?

I don't watch Game of Thrones so I see no reason to buy these bottles for myself. However, for what's worth:

1) The Talisker to me seems like a repackaged, overpriced Talisker Storm, so not worth it.

2) The Lagavulin is probably good whisky and I commend the age statement, however the 8 year old is better value if you want a similar one.

3) The Clynelish is the most intriguing in my opinion. Having a no age statement bottle is ok as long as it's at cask strength - indeed, it's even 'traditional' as far as the whisky industry is concerned. As far as I know, Clynelish have a cask strength NAS bottling available from the distillery shop only. So if you want a high strength Clynelish and are not in the vicinity of the North of Scotland, the Game of Thrones one seems like a great alternative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: