www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Islay or Orkney

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Islay or Orkney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Islay or Orkney Reply with quote

Hello from Los Angeles, California! My friend and I are headed to Scotland next April, for a guys whisky trip. We love Highland Park, so we thought we might head to Kirkwall. However, we also love the Islay drams. Since we can't fit both into our trips, I'm hoping for some feedback. Thanks!

Cheers,

Johnny G.

-Abraham Lincoln

Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to Highland distilleries so far, so can't offer first-hand advice. However, I would say Islay should be a priority, with so many legendary distilleries in very close proximity to one another. I've heard that Highland Park can come across as a bit of a tourist trap, so if it doesn't meet your expectations there's a chance it can be a bit of an anti-climax, but you're bound to find a good distillery tour on Islay with so many offerings.
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only have time to fit in one place I would say head to Islay, you will be able to squeeze in at least a couple of distilleries in one day and the distilleries there offer some excellent tours for serious whisky enthusiasts
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Islay if you're set on doing an Island. So much choice there. Orkney's great and well worth a visit but if your primary interest is whisky then Islay is a no brainer.

Watch the timing of your trip. Some dates in April can be 'off season' so you might miss out on certain activities or opening hours...

If it doesn't have to include an island, and whisky is your main interest - head for Speyside and the Highlands in general. You can't go 10miles without tripping over another great whisky name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: