www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Aldi Glenmarnoch Highland whisky

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Aldi Glenmarnoch Highland whisky

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Aldi Glenmarnoch Highland whisky Reply with quote

Went into Aldi today hoping to pick up another bottle of the Irish Reserve 26 year yld single malt as I got a bottle last week and the store still had a few bottles then but had no luck today so rather than leave empty handed I picked up a bottle of the Aldi Glenmarnoch Highland single malt whisky and had a couple of drams of it tonight.

If I was to hazard a guess I would say its is a young Glengoyne, no more than 5-6 years old, creamy, sweet and a nice touch of spice, I am pleasantly surprised considering it was only £17.50. 78/100 from me.

Anyone else tried it and would like to hazard a guess of where it originated from Question

Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it, I thought it was very young and spirity, still pleasant enough and inoffensive, you cant complain much about it given its price. It is probably not much younger than the original distillery no age statement bottlings filling supermarket shelves now for sometimes twice the price. As far as a guess to where it originated from, Glengoyne is a possibility amongst others but we will never know for sure. It wont be a repeat buy for me, it was a one off curiosity buy.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say it's young and ok ish but the speysider is far better and has a bit to it, I've got 3 in the cuboard for when times are hard lol the lidl highland is also better in my opinion.
WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Glenmarnoch islay Reply with quote

I bought a bottle of the Glenmarnoch Islay last year out of curiosity to see how it stacked up against higher priced brands, and found that while the price of £18 or so was great value and it was drinkable, it just wasnt one id buy again in a hurry, and would rather pay 3x the amount for a bottle of oogy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: