www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Newbie looking for blend recommendations - Page 2

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Newbie looking for blend recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a couple of years since my first post and I thought I'd post an update now I'm further into my journey, although possibly at least a year overdue!

When I posted my first thread I was but a absolute virgin in the wonderful world of whisky, I suppose I still am. I truly believe that when you/one chooses to become a whisky drinker you have no idea what you're in for and boy, I surely did not. It's made me into a man, it's matured me, refined me and kept me interested during the many mad times we find ourselves in, especially currently.

As per my original post, I started a few years ago, but had NO idea what I was doing, the money I was wasting but most importantly, the whisky I wasted by not appreciating it for what it really was.

I'm now at a slightly more informed stage and have familiarised myself with most of the decent malts up to 12 years old. I now have 2 favourites, The Glenlivet 12 as number one and Glenmorangie original as 2. I am a speyside fan and prefer light, floral, fruity whiskies. I have recently tried a fair few whiskies and Glenlivet 12 just beats them all, I could drink it for days, and I do whoops. It's wonderful stuff, so complex yet light and delicate.

Anyway, apologies for re-igniting my original post, just thought it would be good to post an update on my journey,

Hope you are all safe and well.

Ben

ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ben the two your enjoying are both fine and trust me we have all been there at one stage, when I started it was frightening how much I enjoyed the glenlivit 12, so fruity so apple and pears, it was my fav at that early stage, the glenmo is a far better drink and more complex , as you travel on your journey there will be others that you will just say wow so more fun to be had, when I tried the glenlivit 18 that was also a wow moment for me, keep learning and keep enjoying, I look back at some of my early posts and cry with my lack of knowledge and wonder did I really say that,
oldcrofter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben, as somebody just setting out on my whisky journey I am really interested to read your posts - thank you for sharing your experiences.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldcrofter, most newbies will start on glenlivit 12 and glenmo 10 and too develop your taste a bit more the highland park 12 which has a touch of smoke which is different to the two above but is a good step to make, if you don’t like smoke that’s fine but never give up on it, it takes a while to accept, clynelish 14 is a belter and is a must try, enjoy your road into the whisky world.
oldcrofter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply ralfy legend. During recent years of occasional aimless wandering in the world of whisky I have been drawn towards entry level stuff from the likes of Talisker, Jura and Laphroaig so I am happy with smoke (although I can still taste the aftermath of yesterday evening's encounter with Ardbeg 10). I am now taking a more navigated approach and am keen to try the no-smoke and low-smoke whiskies. To this end I recently tried Glenmorangie 10 and Old Pulteney 12 (which I guess is somewhat similar to Highland Park 12 which you mention with just a whiff of smoke). Glenlivet has already been delivered although I had not thought of Clynelish 14 - I must add it to the list.
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps, I'm not much of a smoky fan at all, I find I can still taste it the next day! I do need to slow it down though, during this lockdown half a bottle at night has become the norm!

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen it in Aldi for a couple of months but if there Highland Select 4yr blended malt reappears that's another option at £15. No smoke, no peat to my taste.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you sat Matt not seen for a couple of months but the highland 8 shouldn’t disappoint at £14 or £12.99 in England , I have noticed each bottle of the highland 8 can be slightly different, I’ve had one that was so fruity that I went for another that was more grainy and les fruit but hey ho ,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: