www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Newbie looking for blend recommendations

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Newbie looking for blend recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Newbie looking for blend recommendations Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm Ben aged 33 from Brum, I started my wonderful whisky journey 12 months ago and I've loved every minute! Luckily I started following recommendations of mostly good single malts however following my wife's shock horror of how much I spend on whisky I've decided to find a good solid blend for general "sipping".

I've got a virgin palate to say the least however my favourite malts are glenmorangie 10, Glenfiddich 12 and Jura origin 10 so I'd say I opt for a delicate, light and floral whisky over something complex and deep. Before i started my search for a blend priced at around £15 I purchased a few £20+ blends such as monkey shoulder which I could drink all day given the chance. Anyway, I bought a bottle of teachers Highland cream yesterday which I've been testing vigorously and unfortunately I struggle with peat flavours, it's a shame teachers is slightly peated because to me it is quite light and creamy so without the peat this would more than fit the bill.

This leads me to my question, which non-peated blends would you recommend which are priced similarly to teachers (£14)?

Thanks in advance, Ben

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. Not sure of price at your location but a fine blend is Ballantine's Finest which I expect you would appreciate.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben and welcome to the SMW Fourm,

Whisky drinking can become an expensive pastime but there are some good entry level blends available that don't put such a big dent in the bank balance. It is always worth looking out for offers in the big supermarkets and the likes of Amazon for offers on malt and blends.

Here are a few blends for you to consider, most of which you should find on offer at some point.

Grants Family Reserve
Grants Cask Edition Ale Cask
Grants Signature

Ballantines Finest

Famous Grouse
Famous Grouse Mellow Gold
Cuba
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestions, these are about the best you will find around a £14 price point.
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies chaps it's much appreciated, I'll get shopping!
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ben, get yourself some tullamore dew, £17 in asda easy drinking with some honey flavours, I was also going to suggest jw black label but you say the peat dosnt work for you, morrisons do a blend called label 5 for about £12 to £15 that falls into the easy drinking range. Enjoy, by the way what part of brum you from,? Worked in tyseley next to the railway museum for 10 years.

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highland Black 8 and Glen Orchy from Aldi and Lidl respectively fall into this price point and are worth a go. The highland black is very good value.
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:
Hi ben, get yourself some tullamore dew, £17 in asda easy drinking with some honey flavours, I was also going to suggest jw black label but you say the peat dosnt work for you, morrisons do a blend called label 5 for about £12 to £15 that falls into the easy drinking range. Enjoy, by the way what part of brum you from,? Worked in tyseley next to the railway museum for 10 years.

I'm from Oldbury originally but in the process of moving to Morecambe!!
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ralfy legend wrote:

Also Ralfy legend are you the Ralf whisky reviewer on YouTube?
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ben I'd like to say yes but no is the answer , it was ralfy that put me on the path to enjoying whisky at my starting point, he's changed a lot the last few years but he does make me laugh.
benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far following your recommendations chaps I have tried grants family reserve which for some reason gave me an unbelievable headache the following morning which is strange as I'm normally fine! I'm now onto a fine dram which is Mckendricks 3 year old blended whisky. It only costs £12.50 per 70cl and has superb review's everywhere I look, certainly worth giving a try if your in ASDA next!
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben some of the stuff your trying now will in a year or so taste very average as your palate will get better and better, I'm sure you'd enjoy tullamore dew.

benjiv50
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralfy you were right I have grabbed a bottle of tullamore dew and it's very light and smooth, perfect for my virgin palate! I am planning on trying to learn how to develop my palate as I think drinking good whisky without really being able to appreciate its body and flavour is kind of pointless, I might as well just stick to asda's mckendricks!

Cheers!
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shackleton blended malt was on offer at Asda for £25 and at that price it is value, not complex just a very easy sipper, I really like it and will buy another bottle, I think it may have gone up to £35 now.
JW green is also good value, usually £40 but when on offer van be purchased for £30 that's what I paid for my last one.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of bottles of the Shackleton blended malt around Christmas time from Asda when they were knocking it out for just £20 and thought it was a great bargain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Blended Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: