www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Bourbons to Try?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bourbons to Try?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ihasadram
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Bourbons to Try? Reply with quote

I've just started to try bourbon again. I did not care for it in my youth. But after years of developing a preference for scotch, and finding my preferences changing and evolving for certain types of scotch in particular, I recently discovered that I find bourbon much more enjoyable than in the pst. I was particularly surprised at how much I enjoyed Basil Hayden, though I found it just a bit too sweet for me. I'm planning to retry some of the other Bourbons, like Four Roses, that did not seem to do it for me in the past. But are there any easily acquired Bourbons that I should not overlook, based on my experience with Basil Hayden?

Also, I'm in the States, and we tend to take Whiskey (AKA Whisky) on the rocks here. I learned to enjoy Scotch properly over the years, as in never chilled and maybe with a few drops of water sometimes. I'd like to know if there is a proper way to enjoy Bourbon.

RN Rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still slowly working my way through American whiskeys. What I have found to be very good is Knob Creek, particularly Knob Creek 9 year old. Elijah Craig 12 and Barrel Proof were both very good. Ancient Age 10 year old if you can still get hold of it, it has disappeared from the shelves here.
RickVW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try some of the following for affordable but quality bourbons:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Blantons Gold
Eagle Rare 10
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Wild Turkey 101

This is great if you can get hold of it:
https://whiskeybon.com/bourbon/smooth-ambler-old-scout-10-review

Then if you are looking to spend a bit more things like Michters 10 and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof are great
Gazrob
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is Woodford reserve double oaked.
ralfy legend
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just poured a old forrester reserve, tastes ok , prob not the best out there but for the price can't moan, tastes so like woodford reserve but cheaper .
ARscotchfan
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickVW wrote:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Blantons Gold
Eagle Rare 10
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Wild Turkey 101

Then if you are looking to spend a bit more things like Michters 10 and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof are great

Just located a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 yo in my vicinity....ordered it for my husband for Christmas... it was on the pricier side with shipping costs. It seems to get very good reviews everywhere I find them....and seems to be discontinued recently as well....thanks for posting the link! I think my husband will be thrilled to try it for the New Year! Very Happy

HJ
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARscotchfan wrote:
RickVW wrote:

Four Roses Single Barrel
Blantons Gold
Eagle Rare 10
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Wild Turkey 101

Just located a bottle of the Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 yo in my vicinity....ordered it for my husband for Christmas... it was on the pricier side with shipping costs. It seems to get very good reviews everywhere I find them....and seems to be discontinued recently as well....thanks for posting the link! I think my husband will be thrilled to try it for the New Year! Very Happy

Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 is back. At ~117 proof try it with just a teaspoon of water. Don't know how much market share it can earn at its price point with Knob Creek 120. Time will tell.

To the original OP I thoroughly enjoy exploring the small batch craft Bourbon industry. Depending on where you live availability of what you find to be your favorites can be the problem. And price point, of course.
Southcoast Boy
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love the old scout 7 yo. I still have a couple of bottles left and getting through one now. Love it.

I have to say the Jack daniels barrel proof is a great product. Great and Jack don't often go in the same sentence. Stagg jr is a awesome drink. Yep Wild turkey 101 is a great budget bourbon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> American Whiskey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: