www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Rosebank Distillery Set To Re-Open

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Rosebank Distillery Set To Re-Open
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Rosebank Distillery Set To Re-Open Reply with quote

Following hot in the footsteps of yesterdays announcement that Diageo are to re-open the Port Ellen & Brora Distilleries Ian MacLeod Distillers has announced that they will re-open the Rosebank distillery in Falkirk which closed back in 1993.

The independent family owned distillers, blenders and bottlers who own the Glengoyne and Tamdhu distilleries have revealed plans to bring the iconic Rosebank distillery back to life. Ian Macleod Distillers has entered into a binding agreement with Scottish Canals to purchase the Falkirk site and has separately acquired the Rosebank trademark through the support of Diageo who owned the trademark.

Read more about Ian MacLeod re-opening Rosebank distillery here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/rosebanktoreopen.htm

Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, it will be good to have an affordable to drink Rosebank whisky in the future.
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anything left of the old distillery? According to my copy of scotch missed the whole lot was razed in 2002 and then a rebuild started nearby in 2008 which was cleaned out by metal thieves.

I wonder if they are occupying these buildings or starting afresh?

Does any of this matter? Got to be better than no distillery at all just doesnt quite sit right.. not sure why, need to have a dram and think about it!

Ahh its new whisky so cant hurt, hopefully its nice!
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timp wrote:
Is there anything left of the old distillery? According to my copy of scotch missed the whole lot was razed in 2002 and then a rebuild started nearby in 2008 which was cleaned out by metal thieves.

I wonder if they are occupying these buildings or starting afresh?

Does any of this matter? Got to be better than no distillery at all just doesnt quite sit right.. not sure why, need to have a dram and think about it!

Ahh its new whisky so cant hurt, hopefully its nice!

As far as I'm aware it's all gone. So it'll be Rosebank by name only. So kind of pointless really unless they are planning in cashing in on the historic name. Luckily I've got some of the old juice lying around somewhere Wink
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the original Rosebank stills and other equipment were stolen by metal thieves over Christmas and New Year 2008/2009 and they were not recovered. It is not a big deal for Ian Macleod to have new stills made to the same spec, as well as replacing the rest of the equipment. As long as they replicate the stills, other production equipment and production method it will be the old Rosebank style of whisky they that they will be producing in my eyes.

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cashing in on a famous name surely?
Gregor
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not exactly an overnight cashing in on a famous name, of course the brand name will help the new Rosebank achieve popularity and success. I for one am pleased they are reviving it, as the Rosebank available to buy today is beyond my whisky budget and it will hopefully give me a chance to see what all the fuss has been about and whether it has been worthy of the praise it has received.
Islay Pete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they will be cashing in, after all whisky is a business and this will be a good business move but whisky enthusiasts will win out of it also.

I believe most of the production buildings, if not all are still there, warehousing will no doubt be off site given the flats that have been built next to the distillery.

Who would have guessed this time last week that in around 10 - 12 years we would be able to pick up affordable to drink every day original distillery bottling's of Port Ellen, Brora and Rosebank. I wonder how many folks will have the knowledge when the time comes to compare the new young stuff with the old (young) stuff.
Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islay Pete wrote:
Who would have guessed this time last week that in around 10 - 12 years we would be able to pick up affordable to drink every day original distillery bottling's of Port Ellen, Brora and Rosebank. I wonder how many folks will have the knowledge when the time comes to compare the new young stuff with the old (young) stuff.
It does show a lot of confidence in future whisky sales as it will be some time before they turn a profit from reopening these distilleries. Great to see it happening though as you say Islay Pete who would have guessed this would be happening.

Anyone want to hazard a guess to what will be the next distillery to be brought back to life?
Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tried anything from Rosebank so this is very welcome news for me considering what I have read about the distillery.

eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely, those who are getting excited about this these re-openings are missing a point.

Many old Broras, Port Ellens and Rosebanks are classic whiskies, which is one of the many reasons they cost so much.

However, the new production which comes out of the re-furbished distilleries will be totally different, linked my geography and name only.

So, no-one will be drinking a carbon copy of old "Rosebank 1".. Just a brand new "Rosebank 2", which will almost certainly be a totally and utterly different beast.
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely if they have the details of every piece of production equipment, stills, washbacks condensers etc and details of the type of barley used, yeast, as well as details of production method they can reproduce the same new make spirit which was previously produced. Why would it be different if they replicate everything 100%.? But do they have all that information, I don't see why they wouldn't have.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kray wrote:
Surely if they have the details of every piece of production equipment, stills, washbacks condensers etc and details of the type of barley used, yeast, as well as details of production method they can reproduce the same new make spirit which was previously produced. Why would it be different if they replicate everything 100%.? But do they have all that information, I don't see why they wouldn't have.

Knowledge that has been lost and not passed on perhaps? Recreating the process and hardware probably isn't that difficult. Using it effectively takes time, unless you have access to the guys that know/created the style the distillery is renowned for.
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when a working distillery replaces or repairs a still, if that still has a dent in a certain place or a slight miss-shape, the repaired or replacement still is given the required treatment to make sure it matches the old one as closely as possible - yes they hammer dents into new stills to make sure they match the ones that they are replacing....so is the superstition of distillers about their equipment and effect is has on the make.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I don't think there is anyone out there know can say with !00% certainty that they know every dent, bump and wrinkle of every still of either Rosebank, Brora or Port Ellen.

Unless the stills at 100% replicated, the water is the same, the casks the same and every other bit done to match, then they will simply not be the same whiskies. It'll be nice to have more choice and buy whisky from other distilleries, but if I buy a new Brora I know I'm not getting a whisky in any way the same as the ones that go for £2000 a bottle - even in 30 years time.

Lets face it, Arbeg is nice, but the new stuff isn't the same as the stuff from the 70's and thats made on the same stils. Different owners, different casks, different production methods.
WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: exactly Reply with quote

eelbrook wrote:
Surely, those who are getting excited about this these re-openings are missing a point.

Many old Broras, Port Ellens and Rosebanks are classic whiskies, which is one of the many reasons they cost so much.

However, the new production which comes out of the re-furbished distilleries will be totally different, linked my geography and name only.

So, no-one will be drinking a carbon copy of old "Rosebank 1".. Just a brand new "Rosebank 2", which will almost certainly be a totally and utterly different beast.

im of the same thought. its a marketing ploy and i made the same point on the other thread about Port Ellen & Brora. it will likely be 10 yrs after production commences at least to give a proper opinion so expect NAS & hype, but maybe lets wait and see - the malt whisky boom will probably be over by then as many distillieries have been greedily increasing prices month by month far ahead of inflation, so when the backlash comes and people start looking for better value on other spirits lets hope they dont catch a crab. GL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: