www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Port Ellen and Brora to re-open.

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Port Ellen and Brora to re-open.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drPete
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Port Ellen and Brora to re-open. Reply with quote

As per Diageo this morning (UK time) ... Port Ellen and Brora to resume production in original style

krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link here: https://www.diageo.com/en/news-and-media/press-releases/iconic-lost-distilleries-revived-in-major-scotch-investment/
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing news, if it actually happens. But I wonder whether, after their reopening, we'll have to make do with NAS bottlings that bear little relation to their past glories. I can picture them already: Port Ellen Sea Spray (bottled at 40% ABV) and Brora Renaissance Laughing (hire me, Diageo marketing department?!)
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting a link to a whiskysponge article.....but it appears to be true. Praise the Lord.

Let's face it. Port Ellen and Brora are out of the reach of normal mortals, even if they output NAS for now and we have to wait for a 12yr old standard bottling, it's still worth it.

And while we're facing it, let's face it. They've run out of stock now, so no more money spinning really for them, may as well reopen.
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news although I cant wait to see the whiskysponge take on it!

5 mins later. Just have, brilliant..
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key question is whether they'll be able to produce Twenty-First Century expressions which can 'hold a candle' to pre-closure bottlings.

If not, then the only real links to the past are names and locations.

lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit

There is one important fact to mention here :-
Port Ellen  was well known to blenders but was rarely bottled blend wise at anything over 12 years old and the Brora brand was created for the blenders (Old Clynelish), again never being used in blends of any great age.
Both these whiskies were well know as quality to blenders but no one else.
Brora was on nobody's radar until 1995 and Port Ellen 1998 with a 22 year and 20 year Rare Malts bottling respectively. It was not until it was too late that people actually could see how well both these whiskies aged in the casks that were left over.
Does anyone actually think that Diageo, if they faithfully replicate the stills (Port Ellen) and processes are going to wait 20 years to bottle anything else after they have got everyone hooked on the reputation of the original stuff, hell no is the answer, more like 5 years.
Does anyone also think that they will not charge the absolute maximum here even for a younger bottling now that the real stuff is so expensive, hell no, so we will see 8-12 year `new` PE and Brora for £500 minimum (equivalent prices now).
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
This is amazing news, if it actually happens. But I wonder whether, after their reopening, we'll have to make do with NAS bottlings that bear little relation to their past glories. I can picture them already: Port Ellen Sea Spray (bottled at 40% ABV) and Brora Renaissance Laughing (hire me, Diageo marketing department?!)
Alexppp you have my vote to get the job, just keep the prices low Very Happy
WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: money making only Reply with quote

Lets face it, this is just a pure money makiing excercise using the name of these old respected distillieries to sell product. it's unlikely they will capture the essence, but you will be expected to pay a premium for them. Im not convinced that this move is anything other than hype
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: money making only Reply with quote

WinBase wrote:
Lets face it, this is just a pure money makiing excercise using the name of these old respected distillieries to sell product. it's unlikely they will capture the essence, but you will be expected to pay a premium for them. Im not convinced that this move is anything other than hype

They should leave them close then? Brand is important in honesty but I think leaving them closeed or build completley new distilleries is wasteful if there is the demand.
Whisky Rogue
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will always be about selling whisky, but there is nothing wrong with resurrecting a couple of desirable whisky brands, I will look forward to tasting them and hopefully they do a good job of reproducing them.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
I agree amazing news and here's hoping they can replicate past glories.

Alexppp, William mentioned here http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/portellenandbrorareopen.htm in his coverage of this that
Quote:
Diageo are considering launching 12 year old whiskies from both distilleries so if that is the case it will be at least 2032 before we see any new Port Ellen or Brora whiskies released
So perhaps there will be no need for the whisky names as they will have an age statement.

WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: money making only Reply with quote

arqueturus wrote:
WinBase wrote:

They should leave them close then? Brand is important in honesty but I think leaving them closeed or build completley new distilleries is wasteful if there is the demand.

Think of the newer versions of 'The italian job' or 'total recall' - sure they were half decent movies in their own right, but just a nod to the originals. At least when glendronach re-opened they still had plenty of old stock that was fantastic stuff, (and i hope the new 15 will be up to the same mark as the old 15), but as with these 2 resurections only time will tell i suppose. GL
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: money making only Reply with quote

WinBase wrote:
arqueturus wrote:
WinBase wrote:

Think of the newer versions of 'The italian job' or 'total recall' - sure they were half decent movies in their own right, but just a nod to the originals. At least when glendronach re-opened they still had plenty of old stock that was fantastic stuff, (and i hope the new 15 will be up to the same mark as the old 15), but as with these 2 resurections only time will tell i suppose. GL

I absolutely agree that there's a chance that they might not be the same - there's also a chance that they might be inferior but different =/= inferior. The other option is just to leave them closed and I'm struggling to see why that might be preferable...?
WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think i said that leaving it closed would be preferable, just that using a defunct but respected brand name means nothing, its a marketing tactic, and the scotch will need to be taken on its merits when it arrives. GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: