www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Planning a visit to Sunny Scotland

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Planning a visit to Sunny Scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hughjones

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Planning a visit to Sunny Scotland Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am turning 30 this 2nd November and would like to visit a distillery including hotel stay dinner bed and breakfast; ideally a packaged deal would suit.

Could anyone provide me with advice / suggestions on the above, my leanings are towards islay and highlands varieties.

I am also looking to purchase a distillery bottle, again advice would be well received.

Kind Regards,

Hugh.

Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh you should easily be able to create your own trip around any distillery, some distillery visits are better than others, will you be driving?
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can highly recommend a visit to The Balvenie distillery but be sure to book well in advance if you want a special tour. Aberlour and Glenfarclas are also great distilleries to visit. If you don't want to head all the way up to Speyside Glengoyne isn't far from Glasgow and is a great visit and there is a bus service from Glasgow Buchanan Street bus station which stops outside the distillery.

Also have a look at Bowmore, a great distillery to visit and they offer accommodation also http://www.bowmore.com/stay-with-us
hughjones

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Hugh you should easily be able to create your own trip around any distillery, some distillery visits are better than others, will you be driving?

Hi Mark, i will be driving from south wales with a planned stop in north Yorkshire.

Thanks,

Hugh.
Timp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hugh..

Port Charlotte Hotel..Bruichladdich...Valinch bottling..

Perhaps only because I was there this year, but it is stunning and one of the few places I have been where I immediately booked again for next year.

Hotel lovely and great distillery just down the road with the choice of the valinch bottle your own in the shop..

Whatever you do I hope you have fun...

Ps. If you end up Islay bound, Inveraray is a great stopover with some more whisky temptations.. especially on your birthday!
Corry V

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel to Islay I also recommend the Laphroaig Distillers Wares tour. A good tour followed by tasting three special cask strength expressions. At the end, you get to decide which you like best and use the valinch to draw your whisky from the cask and bottle your own. It's only a 250ml bottle but excellent!

In addition to the Port Charlotte hotel, the Islay hotel in Port Ellen is very nice and is within walking distance to Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg connected by a nice paved path.

JC67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would thoroughly recommend a night or two in The Craigellachie Hotel. Not only do you have Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Aberlour, Macallan and Glenlivet to name but five well-known distilleries practically on the doorstep, you also have the world famous Quaich Bar in the hotel and the wonderful Highlander Inn opposite.
webdunk
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC67 wrote:
I would thoroughly recommend a night or two in The Craigellachie Hotel. Not only do you have Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Aberlour, Macallan and Glenlivet to name but five well-known distilleries practically on the doorstep, you also have the world famous Quaich Bar in the hotel and the wonderful Highlander Inn opposite.

I'd certainly echo the Highlander recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyed my birthday drams there.

I'd also throw Benriach's tour into the mix. It only happens midweek and must be booked in advance. Best tour I've done and loads of interesting drams in their wee shop which is only opened as part of the tastings.

Another great wee tour was the Strathisla distillery - I think it was called the 'Exclusive' tour - so quite expensive as tours go, but the pace was leisurely and the drams on offer excellent, including the Stone of Destiny blend drawn direct from the cask.
Diademo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Craigellachie Hotel
I’ve spent a week there a couple of years ago - is the perfect springboard for distilleries at this side of Speyside.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diademo wrote:
+1 for Craigellachie Hotel
I’ve spent a week there a couple of years ago - is the perfect springboard for distilleries at this side of Speyside.

+1 from me too, the Quiach Bar is excellent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: