www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Why do NAS's cost more than 10-12 year single malts?

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Why do NAS's cost more than 10-12 year single malts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheekobonavista
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Why do NAS's cost more than 10-12 year single malts? Reply with quote

Why do many No-age-statement (NAS) whiskeys cost more than their distilleries entry level expression?

Where I live, Talisker Storm costs more than Talisker 10. Laphroaig Quarter Cask costs more than Laphroaig 10. I've heard a lot of NAS whiskeys are aged between 7-8 years. Most entry level expressions are aged 10-12 years.So why do NAS whiskeys cost more? Is it because of "research and development", is it a marketing thing?

Insight appreciated.

Last edited by cheekobonavista on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

CGRenn
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because quite simply they can.

The marketing departments of the distilleries look at it as a 'new, interesting bottling' what fools the consumer that they are getting something 'exclusive' and 'small batch' ( que Ardbeg, Glenmorangie, Arran and Highland Park ). But really what they are doing is just selling a less mature whisky for double the price. ( I've got no calms with young whisky btw! )

I think a lot of the NAS products are aimed at the Tumbler Brgaide who would discredit a whisky if it said ' 6 Years Old' on the bottle.
Kray
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it is marketing and FAKE pricing. The world wants a bargain these days, no matter what they are buying so prices have been falsely inflated so they can then offer huge discounts particularly in the case of Scotch malt whisky at a time of year when most sales occur. For example you see discounts like Talisker Storm, was £40 and on sale with a £15 discount for £25.. The same goes for almost all entry level whiskies found in large supermarket chains. The uneducated whisky gift buyer who once looked at the age statement as a sign of quality and value now overlook the age statement when they see such big discounts for example dropping the NAS Talisker Storm below the price of the 10 year old
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also a psychological thing. People judge whisky by age statements, and that's still a fact. If you plop an age statement on a bottle it adds a certain value to the customer but that value works both ways; it also provides a ceiling. It's all to do with anchor points. Most poeple will see a 10 year old age and in their mind it anchors them to a price range they are prepared to pay, however if there is no age then there is no anchor as there is nothing form to judge the quality (and therefore price/value) by. They can then charge what they want.

Look at some of the NAS that are £100's. There is nothing to distinguish them from ones that are £30 other than nicer packaging and a review some "expert" wrote. So how can you judge it's value? By taste? Some of the best tasting whiskies I've had were well under £100. Rarety? How do we know it's rare? Because we are told by the very people who are selling it. Can we trust them? We have no reason too as there is nothing tangible on the bottle to quantify it. I could put some young, cask finished 4yo in a bottle, say it's 1 of 200 bottles ever made (rare) and be 100% truthful - does it justify £200 a bottle? If I take the age off and put a nice name on......then yes, i can do that.

There is no anchor point.
cheekobonavista
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you gents think NAS's are inferior? I like Talisker Storm and Laphroaig Quarter Cask more than their respective 10 year malts, but logic tells me that they should be cheaper.

Any reasonably priced NAS's they'd recommend?

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am drinking the Glenmorangie Signet tonight and it is far from inferior, it is a big price for a NAS, I doubt I would ever have bought a bottle if I hadn't tasted it first but I would choose it over the Glenmorangie 18 every time.
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not inferior, just different. Just because a whisky is aged for 16 years does not mean it's better, an arbitrary number. There are some stunning NAS whiskies out there, Talisker 57 degrees north, Aberlour A'bunadh, Ardbeg Corryvrecken, just to name 3.

There are also some donkeys.

The problem with NAS is that you are relying on your own previous experience and/or the views of others and by the nature of NAS the formula can and will change over time as different ages of whiskies are used and cask selection changes. Just because you liked Talisker Storm 2 years ago doesn't mean it's going to be to your liking today, it may be younger now for example.

With an age stated whisky, there is batch variation, but you simply cannot make it any younger than the bottom line age, so it limits the change in taste somewhat. Saying that, it's certainly not immune; Lagavulin 16yo went through a bit of a dodgy patch around 5 years ago, and Talisker 10yo had a few wobbles....

Let's be honest here too, young whisky can be great. Especially if it's peated. It all comes down to your taste preference - and if you like it, then who cares, it's your money and your whisky Very Happy

.......these are still single malts, we're not talking about industrially produced, multi-column distilled, from grain, and aged for the minimum 3 years (crappy blends).
WinBase
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: NAS Reply with quote

While there are some great NAS out there, and Ardbeg oogy is one of my favourites, i dislike the whole ethos of NAS as it smacks of something to hide and overcharging 'because they can'. I prefer to have all the info to make my own mind up, and wouldnt dismiss a whisky just because it's younger, but the distillieries know that a lot would be put off paying the same or more for a younger scotch, and thats why they dont reveal the info, and if im honest i dont immediately gravitate towards NAS as i dont want to feel conned. shame on them really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: