www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Oban Distillery

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Oban Distillery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Oban Distillery Reply with quote

I'm going to be up in Oban briefly at the start of next month and am wondering if it might be worth trying to squeeze in a look at the distillery. Has anyone visited recently and have any thoughts?

I notice that they only offer the shorter 'Sensory & Flavour Finding Tour' at that time of year (£10 for an hour ish with £5 off a bottle purchase).

Also, is there anything worth looking for especially in the distillery shop if I only have time to poke my head in there in the end?

Cheers!

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been for a few years but always worth a visit, give them a call and ask if they have any distillery exclusive bottlings at the moment.
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alastair. I'm definitely going to at least have a quick look in the shop, hoping for something along those lines. Have signed up for and downloaded my 'The Friends of the Classic Malts' distillery pass.
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were a bit short on time this visit, so I didn't get to do the tour sadly, but did nip into the shop and small exhibition/tasting bar area, which is all nicely appointed, with a decent Diageo selection for sale.

I picked up my Friends of the Classic Malts passport thing and got £5 off a bottle of Little Bay in sympathy for not being able to take my free tour or have a tasting because of driving.

They do have a distillery exclusive bottling for sale. I didn't memorise the details, sorry, but it was £100 and something like 6000 bottles. I didn't see an obvious age. I nosed a glass and it certainly smelled good. Anyone know it?
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krakow wrote:
They do have a distillery exclusive bottling for sale. I didn't memorise the details, sorry, but it was £100 and something like 6000 bottles. I didn't see an obvious age. I nosed a glass and it certainly smelled good. Anyone know it?
There is some info here on the Oban distillery only bottling

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/diageonewwhisky2010.htm

Of course my article on the four Diageo distillery bottling's dates from 2010 and it is some time since I have been up to Oban myself so it may well be a totally different bottling which they offer at the distillery now, but I would guess it has not changed too much.
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that William. I think they have actually changed it and the current version is now bottled at 48%. There's a recent review here and Whisky Galore at The Green Welly seem to have a bottle as they're relatively nearby: https://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/oban-distillery-only/prod_4998.html

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked a little more into the Oban Distillery Only bottling, when it was first launched back in 2010 it contained whisky which was originally destined for the Distillers Edition bottlings which were surplus to requirement, it had undergone a second maturation in Pedro Montilla Fino treated American oak casks and bottled at natural cask strength, and carried no age statement although it was said to be a vatting of 16 - 19 year old.

The surplus Distillers Edition has since been used up and the Oban Distillery Only bottling today is Oban 14 year old which has been further matured in extra charred casks and then married together in a marrying vat. I don't have any info on the final age, it carries no age statement, it is still bottled at cask strength which is 48% ABV for the latest bottling, it is a limited release of 6000 bottles although apparently 12 of those got smashed and it has a price tag of £100
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, thanks William! Above and beyond for my idle curiosities, I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: