www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Peter's Exchange Samples

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Peter's Exchange Samples
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> The Whisky Sample Exchange
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluepeter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Peter's Exchange Samples Reply with quote

Well, let's get the ball rolling...

I'm fairly new to exploring whiskies, so these are all at the less expensive end of the market (around £30 - £40/bottle, bought from Waitrose/Sainsbury's/Amazon). Consequently, I'm guessing that they won't be of much interest to most inhabitants of the forum. But we all have to start somewhere, so let's see.

List deleted 12 July 2017: see my posting below

Samples will be 50ml (5cl), i.e., a double measure. You're free to ask me to open an unopened bottle. In principle, I'm willing to have the order in which bottles are opened dictated by swaps, as long as I don't feel I have too many open at a time. The worst I can do is refuse..

Please PM me if you're interested in anything here, and we'll see if a swap can be agreed.

Peter.

Last edited by bluepeter on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 am; edited 26 times in total

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that I have had problems in sending more than 4 samples at a time through Royal Mail.. although I'd recommend sending through them always do recorded delivery to safe guard yourselves..
A padded bag is ok but a small box or tube is far better.. wrap bubble wrap tightly around the bottles..
bluepeter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
I will add that I have had problems in sending more than 4 samples at a time through Royal Mail.. although I'd recommend sending through them always do recorded delivery to safe guard yourselves..
A padded bag is ok but a small box or tube is far better.. wrap bubble wrap tightly around the bottles..

Thanks for the advice.
jwbassman
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, nice one for getting this started, just added my own list.
jwbassman
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:

Sound advice Sorren, nice one, guessing you have much experience at this 😀
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I send out about 20-30 samples a month, and receive a similar amount.. also I and a good few friends swop on a regular basis so yes I have a little experience.. it's great fun although we generally do it a little different, we just send blind and there is no problem with thinking " I've sent you better than I received " but then we kind of know each other's likes and dislikes.. and it's fun seeing what you get..

jwbassman
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
I send out about 20-30 samples a month, and receive a similar amount.. also I and a good few friends swop on a regular basis so yes I have a little experience.. it's great fun although we generally do it a little different, we just send blind and there is no problem with thinking " I've sent you better than I received " but then we kind of know each other's likes and dislikes.. and it's fun seeing what you get..

Hi Sorren - Just as a matter of interest how much does it cost you to send samples recorded delivery as you recommend?
sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost varies as I usually send 3cl samples and can be anything from 1-5 samples and usually multiple packs each time so generally don't take notice of individual prices but usually £3-5 .. or so
bluepeter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
The cost varies as I usually send 3cl samples and can be anything from 1-5 samples and usually multiple packs each time so generally don't take notice of individual prices but usually £3-5 .. or so

That sounds about right. This morning, I paid £4.45 for first class recorded delivery of the two 50ml samples that I sent to jwbassman. He tells me that he got stung rather a lot more for the two that he posted to me. Careful analysis of his receipt might be informative!
krakow
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess even multiple samples packaged together shouldn't end up bigger than what Royal Mail calls a "Small Parcel", in which case 1st Class Signed For under 1kg is £4.45, as you paid. Even going up to 2kg it is still only £6.60 for 1st Class Signed For.

I'd think it'd be pretty tough to push it over to the more expensive "Medium Parcel" category.

Details here: http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/RoyalMail_2016_Prices.pdf
jwbassman
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Sent another set out today using the correct service this time - £4.45 for Small Parcel 1st Class Signed For Smile
bluepeter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I was asked for a swap sample of my GlenDronach 12YO yesterday, so that's now open.

sorren
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now who would make you open another bottle.. tut tut
bluepeter
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorren wrote:
Now who would make you open another bottle.. tut tut

I wasn't made to do so. I did it willingly. It's hardly a problem to open a bottle of my current favourite.

No single malt toight, though - it's Famous Grouse + American ginger ale + Deep Purple Smile
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost me at Deep Purple. Lol. Too much of a bad thing - my father in law is also a fan (although clearly not of music) Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> The Whisky Sample Exchange All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: