www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Murray's review of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Murray's review of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Murray's review of Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye Reply with quote

As a Canadian, it pleased me to find out that the 2016 edition of the Whisky Bible picked a Canadian blended whisky as the #1 World Whisky for 2016:

Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye , 45% abv, 90% Rye

Here are my taste notes from today-:

Color: Amber
Body: Full

Neat:

Nose: A melange of McIntosh and Granny Smith apples sweep in with a flourish and quick-step creating an apple orchard in Autumn. The weight of the rye expresses itself at first with an unexpected delicateness but starts to build into characteristic rye influences commensurate with its' 45% abv. Health conscious cereals flood into the picture. Hints of Robertson's marmalade arrive with generalized citrus hues. Honeysuckle works its way in , almost unnoticed at first. The apple motif waxes and wanes but never leaves, just becoming a revolving figure and ground. Buttermilk pancakes hot off the griddle are served later.

Palate: A big hit of rye influence, instantly warming; the citrus notes expanding; initially quite smooth. As the expression opens, a peppery viscous foundation exerts itself into prominence latching onto the primary grain quality. The rye at this point is really superb.

Finish: Long, drying, Grandma''s old-fashioned apple pie, inviting spices waltzing with the rye tones; metamorphosing into the breakfast porridge from my youth, calming and enjoyed. With time, the apple cornucopia suddenly vanishes leaving the dignity of rye on a pedestal where grain is King.

Comments: This is a high quality Canadian rye. Forget about the reasonable price. Judge it on its own merits. There is a balance here not easily achieved. The complexity is underscored from nose to palate to finish. It is elegant not pedestrian, flirtatious not aggressive and fulfills expectations by preparation not luck.

My Rating: 95.5 A little lower than Jim's 97.5

****Since the #1 pick in the Whisky Bible always generates interest, I decided to put it in this section of the Forum where more folks will see it.

opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Murray.

I had a large sample of this along with various other Canadians ahead of a shop stock order, outcome of the tasting was which ones to stock.

Needless to say that I don't have anywhere near your experience with Canadians, I've tasted very few.

As your notes, I found this very fruity and certainly orchard spice breakfast cereal. Whilst it's balanced it was a let down on what I expected from a high Rye whisky. Smooth it was, and that's nice........nice. I finished 3rd on my list, behind Alberta Premium and Collingwood 21yo, both of which I found had more character and just a bit more......I don't know, class maybe.

It's a very nice whisky, I'd give it a solid 80, maybe pushing an 85, but then that's the batch I had and my tastes Wink
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Murray great notes as always.
jcarrick
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we will now see it this side of the water and at what price
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Whisky Exchange had it stocked a while back for about £50 I think (or there abouts). Needless to say that it's not in stock anymore.

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great dram Murray and we rarely get something so good in this price range, I wish it was readily available here.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Sounds like a great dram Murray and we rarely get something so good in this price range, I wish it was readily available here.

Yes, that's for sure William. I mentioned the whisky to my brother in Montreal, Quebec. He called the SAQ in Quebec (equivalent to LCBO in Ontario), no bottles and they have no listing on their website either. I expect that might change. There are between 2 to 3 thousand bottles available at LCBO stores across Ontario I estimate. I have 4 bottles at the moment, one open and 3 put away. I might pick up 3 or 4 more for my brother if they don't have them later in Montreal when I visit him next. I mentioned it to a number of friends here as well who enjoy Canadian whisky and they are all stocking up based upon my review. The manager of one of the LCBO stores that I spoke to perked up when I told him about its winning World Whisky 2016 and said he would try some himself. I had not reviewed it myself until later that day, i.e., yesterday.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes great review Murray as descriptive as ever, shame we cant get hold of it here.
Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is a decent whisky, I have gotten through about 3/4 of a bottle now, but it doesn't strike me as the best, yes I think it is good, personally I would rate it 85/100 on my personal scale of how good a whisky is. For the price I am more than happy and have a couple of more bottles in the cupboard.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 1538 bottles now filtering through the LCBO stores as of today.

MoBigga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a decent whisky. I can still get it for US$29 in the US, a good value considering its designation as 2016 World Whisky of the Year
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: