www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Best Bourbon for Scotch Drinkers

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Best Bourbon for Scotch Drinkers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GateToWire
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Best Bourbon for Scotch Drinkers Reply with quote

I primarily drink Single Malt Scotch but every once in awhile I mix it up and drink some bourbon.
Yesterday I saw a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 yr old on sale and I really enjoyed it last night.
My bourbon experience is pretty small having only tried Maker's Mark and Woodford Reserve before the Eagle Rare.

Are there any other bourbons that you would recommend? I was thinking my next purchase might be a Evan Williams Single Barrel.

IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although availability waxes and wanes, Blanton's is a must-try. I've also heard it said that Four Roses Small Batch is a good starting bourbon for scotch drinkers as it doesn't have the inherent sweetness that puts a lot of scotch drinkers off.

Technically a bourbon, but with a high rye content, I also really like Tincup, and not just for the novelty tin cup that comes with the bottle Smile
opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you want to be avoiding sweeter bourbons that are wheated - where the secondary/flavour grain is wheat instead of Rye. Makers Mark is a common wheater.

Yes Blantons is good, high Rye recipe. Personally I always recommend Four Roses single barrel to scotch drinkers, it's fruity, high Rye so not that sweet and very complex. Usually around £40 online. Eagle Rare is om but does have a fair bit of that cola note you can get sometimes.

Evan Williams SB is good, but it's sweeter.

I also like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, it's high Rye and from aligator charred casks so it's a heavy beastie. Not that sweet but quite oaky.
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High West campfire was made for whisky drinkers in mind. It's a mix of bourbon and rye, with a peaty note. The owner went on a holiday to Islay and loved the drams he sampled so tried to have a go at making something new himself in the us. It's an unusual, but nice dram - some of my non whisky drinking friends like it too.
Darwin
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer single malts to bourbon, but I have found that I like the Elijah Craig 12, Four Roses small batch and the Four Roses Single Barrel is my favorite. Buffalo Trace is the little brother of Eagle Rare and the same mash bill if I am not mistaken, I keep BT for sipping and cocktails. I have not found any cheaper bourbons that I would have in the house.
GateToWire
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.
I will try some of these out.
I actually don't mind the sweetness and the extra wheat. To me it's all about the different flavors on the pallet. That's why I like scotch so much. So many different flavors.

opelfruit
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily get the difference in flavour profile will bourbon too, it's not all the same as many scotch drinkers think. Look for different mash bills (lots are published online if you look). Age, strength warehouse location play a key part in the end flavour so research is your best bet.

If you don't mind a more sweet bourbon, and you can find it, I utmostly recommend Ridgemont Reserve 1792 barrel select, it does have a sweet edge but it's a fantastic whisky from Barton. So good it's used to toast the Kentucky bourbon festival each year.
GateToWire
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the recommendations.

I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel and some Elijah Craig. Both were very nice. Will need a few drams before I will really be able to rate them.

The great thing about living in the USA is how cheap the bourbon is!!! Both bottles were just over $20 a bottle.

Going to try out the Four Roses and others in a few weeks.
Darwin
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the small batch category on the Total Wine and More site. They have stores in your area. Lots of quality expressions in the $20 to $40 range. Enjoy figuring out what you like. Wink
TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GateToWire wrote:
Thanks again for the recommendations.

I picked up some Evan Williams Single Barrel and some Elijah Craig. Both were very nice. Will need a few drams before I will really be able to rate them.

The great thing about living in the USA is how cheap the bourbon is!!! Both bottles were just over $20 a bottle.

Going to try out the Four Roses and others in a few weeks.

Where possible, do try small batch and single barrel offerings. Great value and even better taste and I dare say a lot cheaper than in the UK.
GateToWire
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been experimenting with a bunch of different Bourbons. I will always be a scotch drinker first but I have really enjoyed tasting and drinking some good american spirits. I think the experience has sharpened my pallet and made me appreciate some of the subtle flavors in Scotch more.
My biggest surprise in my bourbon tasting is how good Wild Turkey 101 is. Who knew.
It is very well made and has some great flavor.

I also really enjoyed Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey. Just a wonderful mix of flavors.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I am actually going to be in Kentucky for a few days in October and I am going to visit a couple of distilleries near Lexington. Should be a fun time.
GateToWire
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been experimenting with a bunch of different Bourbons. I will always be a scotch drinker first but I have really enjoyed tasting and drinking some good american spirits. I think the experience has sharpened my pallet and made me appreciate some of the subtle flavors in Scotch more.
My biggest surprise in my bourbon tasting is how good Wild Turkey 101 is. Who knew.
It is very well made and has some great flavor.

I also really enjoyed Rittenhouse Rye Whiskey. Just a wonderful mix of flavors.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I am actually going to be in Kentucky for a few days in October and I am going to visit a couple of distilleries near Lexington. Should be a fun time.

TheWM
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I'm not at all jealous.

Please do let us know how you get on Smile
Danners
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this old thread... do the above recommendations still stand or has the bourbon landscape changed significantly since these posts?

Mrs Danners is in NYC next week and has offered to bring something back. Are there any newer releases I should ask for? FWIW I don’t really know bourbon - i’ve had a Balcones Blue Corn but that was after numerous peaty malts so can’t really judge(!) I remember enjoying it though. I guess my position is the same as the OP - like single malts, want to experiment with bourbon. Happy to spend up to about $80.

Thanks.
cdn_dram
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy Bourbon too. Best ones I've had to recommend are:

Blantons gold
Four roses single barrel
Woodford reserve double oaked
Pikesville Rye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> American Whiskey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: