www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Abhainn Dearg Visit

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Abhainn Dearg Visit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Abhainn Dearg Visit Reply with quote

Easily the smallest distillery I've visited, but an excellent place to visit. The location is truly stunning on the West coast of the Outer Hebrides.

Only the two very small stills with equally small mash and wash backs. The stills themselves were more like large water heater tanks that you get on a central heating system. The whole setup is very compact.

I was told the water comes out of a small stream next door and all malt is sourced from the Isle of Lewis. The tour was free and included their 3 year old release which was very sweet and I got a bottle of from the distillery shop.

What I was most taken by was that it felt like an almost craft distillery, for example the lady who runs the tour also does, admin, all bottling on site by hand in the kitchen!! And runs the web-site. With the potential relaxation by the SWA of distillery rules I think there is a real place in the market for these small locally run distilleries who don't answer to share holders and board members, I really hope they continue to do well and I fell for the charm of the local family setup and the old traditional small batch production, sure there are some querks in the end product but that just added to the charm as surly there is more fun in consuming a crafted product rather than the industrial scale perfect quality controlled stuff I can get in any liquor store or supermarket in the world.

Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tasted some of there new make spirit a while back and wasnt impressed but i know that can dramatically changed with a few years maturation, figures crossed that the whisky they produce is good. I was surprised they didnt choose to produce a peated whisky as this would sell no problem even when young, just look at Kilchoman.
whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy M wrote:
I tasted some of there new make spirit a while back and wasnt impressed but i know that can dramatically changed with a few years maturation, figures crossed that the whisky they produce is good. I was surprised they didnt choose to produce a peated whisky as this would sell no problem even when young, just look at Kilchoman.

We tried the 3yo and I was quite keen. Apparently the stills are based on an old illicit style trying to recreate an older style. Apparently unlike Kilchoman they are waiting until its a 10yo before a bigger release and although Kilchoman is small this place is literally tiny.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the distillery last Friday and noted they were in the midst of bottling their first 100 bottle release of 10 year old at 46%. I was told they are awaiting the labels and it would be available in 2-3 weeks. Many of the bottles were sat there filled and sealed awaiting the final touch.

http://www.abhainndearg.co.uk/
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isle of Lewis distillery Abhainn Dearg has released a 10-year-old single malt, the distillery’s oldest expression to date.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/22367/abhainn-dearg-releases-first-10-year-old/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: