www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - McClellands Single Malts from Somerfields Supermarket

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
McClellands Single Malts from Somerfields Supermarket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: McClellands Single Malts from Somerfields Supermarket Reply with quote

Somerfields & Kwik Save supermarkets both sell McClellands Islay, Highland and Lowland single malt whisky, all of which are independent bottlings. The whisky inside the bottles are actually from Morrison Bowmore and sells for only £12.99.

McClelland's Single Malts are are actually a variety of single malt Scotch whisky produced by Morrison Bowmore distilleries. There is no McClelland's distillery. McClelland's has varieties representing the whisky producing regions of Scotland, including Highland, Lowland and Islay.

The distilleries that produce McClelland's are:

Highland: Glen Garioch
Lowland: Auchentoshan
Islay: Bowmore

Its young age gives it a slightly harsher taste, and the separate name it carries allows the company to market a lower quality, inexpensive Scotch without the risk of harming the reputations of respected distilleries. Neither the age of the whisky nor the distillery is mentioned on the label. Unlike most single malts, McClelland's is available in a 1.75 liter bottle as well as the standard 750mL

Info from: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland's_Single_Malt"

Davy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually picked up a bottle of their Islay malt yesterday not tried yet but as you say Big Mac how can you go wrong at this price.

And welcome to the forum Big Mac

Davy
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: McClelland's Single Malts from Somerfield's Supermarkets Reply with quote

Sadly the McClelland's Single Malts seem to be no longer available from my local store, nor have been for a while. But I have to point out an error in the "facts" quoted from wikipedia by John 2 years ago. The labels do indeed give the age of the whisky -- "Aged 10 years", so they are NOT cheaper 5-year varieties of other whiskies.

The labels also state "distilled and bottled in Scotland by T & A McClelland Limited Glasgow G21 1EQ" -- the company was purchased in 1970 by Bowmores, but their products are not, as far as I can discover, simply an outlet for a cheap young whisky distilled by Bowmores.

Though by no means among the best whiskies I have enjoyed, the 2 McClelland's whiskies I purchased regularly for a number of years (I have not encountered the Lowland or Speyside variety) were most pleasant on the palate, and, I thought, remarkably good value, putting other supermarket "own brands" to shame. I've just finished my last bottle of their Highland Malt, and am sorry have done so.

Mike
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike i have to say i find your first post on this forum odd.

It is a long time since i have had a bottle of McClellands Islay or Highland malt which used to be available from Somerfields supermarket as well as other outlets but i am certain the bottles did not have an age statement on them.

Mike wrote:
The labels do indeed give the age of the whisky -- "Aged 10 years"

Your post got me doubting my own memory of the McClellands Islay and Highland malts so I just visited McClellands website and they have some very good detailed images of their whisky bottles and tubes. You can see them here:

McClellands Islay Single Malt Images:

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/data/Images/Original/Mcclellands_Islay_Bottle.jpg

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/data/Images/Original/Mcclellands_Islay_Tube.jpg

McClellands Highland Single Malt Images:

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/data/Images/Original/Mcclellands_Highland_Bottle.jpg

http://www.mcclellands.co.uk/data/Images/Original/Mcclellands_Highland_Tube.jpg

As you can see from these images their is no Age statement on the bottles or tubes, unless it is on the back of the bottle which would be odd.

Neither the the descriptions of the McClellands malts on the McClellands website or the morrison bowmore online shop mention the age of these whiskies. If indeed the age is on the label as you say Mike it seems strange that the McClellands website or the morrison bowmore online shop do not mention the age.

Looking at the tasting notes I keep for whiskies i have tried i noted the McClellands Islay as being a young/rougher Bowmore.

To quote Jim Murrays Whisky Bible he says of the McClellands Islay single malt:

"no mistaking which distillery this little beaut is from: Bowmore anyone?

Andy M
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: McClelland's Single Malts from Somerfield's Supermarkets Reply with quote

Andy, I assure you I'm not just speaking from memory. I have the bottles bought from Somerfields of McLelland's Highland and Islay Single Malts in front of me as I write this and they both have the age prominently displayed, and the legend on the back label "Exclusive to Somerfields Stores Bristol". The tubes also carry both the same statements.

This photograph of the bottles may not always be accessible:

I too have looked at McClelland's website, and I agree the labels there (which are very similar, but not identical, to those of the bottles I used to buy from Somerfields) do not appear to state the age of the whisky. It's because I was trying to find out whether the whisky I can no longer get from Somerfields is still available, that I started researching the subject.

I'm as confused as you...

Mike
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I never knew that McClelland's had ever released a 10 year old Islay or Highland single malt, it must have been a very limited release that McClelland's bottle exclusively for Somerfield. I only ever saw NAS McClelland's malt available at Somerfield.

I just had a deeper look at McClelland's website and the bottles/tubes i linked to are the new packaging released earlier this year and as you say very similar, but not identical, to those of the bottles you have.

I recognise the images of the bottles you have posted but not with the age statement. Anyway i tried a search in google and found the same style of label as you show but with NAS.

Anyway i dont think Somerfield has McClelland's range of whisky anymore, pity as i Islay malt was good.

Andy M

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never saw NAS McClelland's, but my local Somerfield's carried this range for about 3-4 years, priced at (I think) about £14, and they were excellent value. If only I'd known they were going to discontinue them, I'd have bought up their stock!

Andy M wrote:

Anyway i dont think Somerfield has McClelland's range of whisky anymore, pity as i Islay malt was good.

I haven't seen them, certainly. The Highland was good too. I miss them... Sad

Thanks
Mike
Fergie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also didnt know the the McClelland malts where available with as a 10 year olds i thought it was either NAS or i think there was a 16 year old available.

Mike now that you cant get a hold of your usual somerfield tipple you may be interested in the Sainsburys Islay bottling or the Tesco Highland bottling mentioned here:

http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=347

They both picked up awards at this years International Wine & Spirit Competition. Both very nice drams IMO.

Fergie
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fergie. I will definitely try them, especially if the Tescos Highland Malt is Dalmore or very similar -- that's one of my favourite Highlands, I'm rarely without a bottle.

I must have a longer look round the forums here, I'm very pleased to have found them!

Thanks to you all
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Offers & Bargains All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: