www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - My taste notes for Canadian Club Small Batch Sherry Cask

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
My taste notes for Canadian Club Small Batch Sherry Cask

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: My taste notes for Canadian Club Small Batch Sherry Cask Reply with quote

I couldn't resist opening this one after a late lunch. Here's my taste notes.

Neat-

Nose: Raisins, sherry drizzled over vanilla ice cream, burnt almonds, toffee, maple fudge, carmelized dark fruit and a melange of cream soda and gentle spruce beer.

Palate: Exceptionally smooth and creamy, super caramel, espresso sweet crema, deep dark toffee and background spice.

Finish: Long, maple fudge, a remarkable sweetness from head to tow but with sherry finesse.

***A lovely dram oozing with character, opening further over time into a cornucopia of aromas and flavor notes.

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite some time since i had any Canadian Club, it was the 12 year old, it was smooth and sweet as i remember, the sherry cask sounds interesting
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
It has been quite some time since i had any Canadian Club, it was the 12 year old, it was smooth and sweet as i remember, the sherry cask sounds interesting

William, Canadian whisky really seems to be making a comeback. At one time, the Canadian market really ruled the roost through prohibition times and then through the 50's, 60's, 70's. I had Seagram's stock back in the 1970's and it was blue chip. Seagram's owners got into the entertainment industry and the dismantling of their empire started in 1995 and lead to its demise from the Seagram family, the Bronfman's of Montreal.

The last number of years , a number of Canadian distilleries have made names for themselves once again and though the Canadian impact on the whisky market is no where like it used to be, it's resurgence has not gone unnoticed and the pundits in the whisky world are paying attention. Folks like jim Murray and Iain Mccallum rave about some Canadian whiskies such as from the Forty Creek distillery, 20 minutes from my home. I am pleased that I have access to so many great tasting Canadian whiskies, and many at fairly reasonable prices.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Murrays reviews of Canadian whisky is certainly creating interest amongst whisky drinkers but we still havent seen Forty Creek over this side of the water yet. I recall Canadian Club being big over this side of the water back in the 1970s/80s before a world slump in whisky sales. My father worked for a while at Pernod Ricard/Chivas Brothers storage facility near Beith in Ayrshire and i recall him saying that there was a lot of Canadian Club stored there at the time.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Jim Murrays reviews of Canadian whisky is certainly creating interest amongst whisky drinkers but we still havent seen Forty Creek over this side of the water yet. I recall Canadian Club being big over this side of the water back in the 1970s/80s before a world slump in whisky sales. My father worked for a while at Pernod Ricard/Chivas Brothers storage facility near Beith in Ayrshire and i recall him saying that there was a lot of Canadian Club stored there at the time.

Iain McCallum told me he knows Jim Hall, the owner and whisky maker of Forty Creek very well and they have spent time together discussing his Canadian whisky and drinking it (and drinking it). Forty Creek is selling like hot cakes in the USA as well and I sure hope at some point it makes it across the pond. I know you would enjoy it William. The LCBO here is loaded with the Forty Creek expressions which is a bonus and of course just a drive down the road and I'm at his distillery and store. Dillon's Small Batch Distillery, a newer whisky distillery is even closer to my location for rye whisky. What are the odds that a whisky aficionado would reside by coincidence near 2 whisky distilleries. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Canadian Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: