www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Glen Moray

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Glen Moray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Glen Moray Reply with quote

Pretty standard tour, but my favourite bit was a visit to one of the warehouses. Unlike for example Glenfiddich where they have obviously prepared it for visitors. Here it appeared they literally opened the doors to a random dark warehouse.

This is not a criticism, in fact quite the opposite! I loved seeing the insides of a real dark warehouse where you could nose pretty much any cask you fancied!

Post tour, back for a tasting and here after a 10 minute chat our group of 4 were left with a glass each and various bottles to sample. Basic brief was, don't take the *** but help yourselves and try what ever you like. This included their 30 year old! So had a nip of everything!

Cost was £4 each but excellent value when you consider one measure of their 30 year old costs a bit more than £4! A few visitor centres exclusives in the shop as well. Not as flashy and well rounded as Glenfiddich or Dalmore but i'd say all the better for it!

9/10

albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that sounds like quite the experience. It's pretty rare these days for there to be quite so much Trust.

How was the 30yo?
whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Glen Moray 30 was excellent. I haven't had the opportunity to try too many whiskies in this age/price range other than a Glenfarclas 30, Tomintoul 1981 and Glenfarclas 1983 family cask.

It was very subtle with quite a light almost floral nose, quite sweet in taste and again quite a subtle finish. I tried it after the 16 and it was obviously in a different league! I think its priced at about £180, and at that price I don't think I'll buy a bottle but if you get the chance its a nice dram.
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair though £130 for a 30yo isn't all that bad when you compare that to others in that age bracket.
whisky_rob
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree that it is well priced for what you get, but other an special occasions I tend not to pay more than £50 for a drinking whisky. I also prefer the Glenfarclas 30 to the Glen Moray 30 and they are similar in price, I'm a sucker for a sherry cask!

I think Glen Moray seems quite unloved and I'm not sure why? Although having Glenmorangie as a brother must be difficult. It's well worth a visit though!
Craven
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers rob, i have never visited Glen Moray but i will certainly keep it in mind for the next time i am up that way.

bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen Moray was obviously considered the ginger stepchild when LVMH took over Glenmo as they quickly punted it to an outfit called La Martiniquaise. A lot of it now goes into their Label 5 blend, one of the best selling whiskies in France. I really like the signature orange peel notes and full mouthfeel of Glen Moray, if I have one criticism it would be that it is often a 'hot' whisky but not tamed with water. I could be wrong but I suspect they have historically filled their casks at high strength.

Up until the LVMH sale Glen Moray had been used as a test bed for different cask finishes, I understand they have a lot of interesting casks - certainly SMWS has seen a few including white wine cask finishes, toasted cask lids, etc. I seem to remember reading about a possible port cask release in the offing.

Sounds like a great tour, I'd love to get up there one day and check it out. It has a really interesting history too, having been the site of a gallows and also a brewery at one point.
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bifter wrote:
Glen Moray was obviously considered the ginger stepchild when LVMH took over Glenmo as they quickly punted it to an outfit called La Martiniquaise. A lot of it now goes into their Label 5 blend, one of the best selling whiskies in France. I really like the signature orange peel notes and full mouthfeel of Glen Moray, if I have one criticism it would be that it is often a 'hot' whisky but not tamed with water. I could be wrong but I suspect they have historically filled their casks at high strength.

Up until the LVMH sale Glen Moray had been used as a test bed for different cask finishes, I understand they have a lot of interesting casks - certainly SMWS has seen a few including white wine cask finishes, toasted cask lids, etc. I seem to remember reading about a possible port cask release in the offing.

Sounds like a great tour, I'd love to get up there one day and check it out. It has a really interesting history too, having been the site of a gallows and also a brewery at one point.

I'd echo this. Some of the SMWS bottles have been really good. I'd love to visit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Visiting Whisky Distilleries in Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: