www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Corks that break off into single malt bottles

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Corks that break off into single malt bottles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Corks that break off into single malt bottles Reply with quote

Another thread about a cork flaw with a bottle of Nadurra reminded me of a friend of mine with a huge collection of single malts. He showed me some bottles of Glenmorangie The Original where a large chunk of the cork broke off into the scotch itself over time. His other brands showed no such pattern of cork deterioration. That raises the question whether certain brands are more prone to cork damage over time. I have no other empirical evidence but I raise the point for discussion.

Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think older corks are more prone to break up as corks were not of the same quality that they are today. Personally i havent experienced any problem with corks breaking up.
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a few corks break up over the years but i cant say it was from any single brand i put it down to the way they had been stored before i got them.
James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up 2 bottles of the Balvenie 15 Single Barrel at Prestwick airport a couple of years ago and the corks in both bottles crumbled when i opened them and both were saturated with whisky so they had obviously been stored on there side for some time. I decanted them into other bottles and they were fine, luckily. I thought about contacting the Balvenie or the airport to complain but didnt in the end as i thought i wouldnt get much joy.
bifter
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my bottle of Nadurra Triumph kicked this thread off, awaiting a reply from TWE. The only other time I can recall a cork breaking was a bottle of Glenfarclas 15. However the cork split about half way and was bone dry inside so I guess it was just a flaw in the material rather than a result of it being stored on its side.
5-12-1908
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will whisky go down the same loine as wine and use screw tops?

Is there a real need for a cork?

Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5of12in1908 wrote:

Is there a real need for a cork?

I don't think so - in fact screw caps would prevent the type of problem experienced by bifter. I'm pretty sure corks are only used to emphasise the luxury in single malts, but I could be wrong.
Drover
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the quality of screwcaps these days they could easily replace the corks i would think but i also think many people will associate a cork with the quality of the whisky so i doubt the producers would move away from using them. Happily corks breaking are a rare occurence.
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long a whisky bottle has to lie on its side to do damage to the cork. I often see bottles lying on there side in supermarkets, when the shelves are full supermarkets often start piling the bottle on top of the upright bottles. I know the supermarkets will have a big turnover and they probably wont be lying there like this for long but i have always wondered how long a bottle has to lie on its side to do damage - 1 week, 1 month, 6 months or more.
Kava
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it is much more than a week as bottles i have ordered online can spend up to a week lying on its side while in transit with no adverse effect to the cork. I suppose the abv of the whisky will make a difference also.
Alexppp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the time bottles will be ok even if they're on their sides for a couple of months - I once had a package (Laphroaig) delivered to my parents' address, then forgot about it for around two months. When I finally got around to opening it I saw the package had been stored on its side all the time, but the bottle was ok. No real trace of the cork affecting the taste of the whisky either. I can't judge for all cases obviously (especially in higher ABV) but from that particular case I would infer that corks are good enough to be able to take some time on their sides.
Genuine Risk
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexppp wrote:
I think most of the time bottles will be ok even if they're on their sides for a couple of months - I once had a package (Laphroaig) delivered to my parents' address, then forgot about it for around two months. When I finally got around to opening it I saw the package had been stored on its side all the time, but the bottle was ok. No real trace of the cork affecting the taste of the whisky either. I can't judge for all cases obviously (especially in higher ABV) but from that particular case I would infer that corks are good enough to be able to take some time on their sides.

+1

I know one whisky shop that stores bottles on its sides with no complaints, think it would surprise you how many do. As the man said corks are good enough to take time on their sides.

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lighter side, I came across a neat youtube video about how to get a whole cork out of an empty bottle. It's quite ingenious and I got a kick out of it. Have a peek.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ

Very Happy Laughing
Keith
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think a bottle would have to lie on its side for at least a few months to seriously affect the cork but the glues and resins used in the corks could possibly affect the whisky without any sign of damage to the cork so I simply wouldn't risk buying any bottles which have been stored on its side no matter how short a time they have lay this way.
Genuine Risk
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about retracting that last msg just opened a Highland Park 16 bourbon bottled 2006, the bottle gave a lot louder than normal pop when opened and lots of fizz when poured. The bottom 15% of the cork was a wet mess and looked like falling off.

Not sure how much of its life was on its side, probably most of it.

Weird thing is was expecting it to be crap but to be honest its a bit special, on my third dram just to make sure all the same
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: