www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - List of Whisky with added E150 colouring - Page 3

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
List of Whisky with added E150 colouring
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McKay
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5of12in1908 wrote:
McKay wrote:
not all down to me, a bit of copy and pasting from wikipedia but it does explain it well

Could you explain the offside rule to my wife? Laughing

No problem:
Quote:
Offside is a law in football which states that if a player is in an offside position when the ball is touched or played by a team mate, he may not become actively involved in the play. A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-to-last defender (which is usually the last outfield player), but only if the player is on his opponent's half of the pitch. "Offside position" is a matter of fact, whereas "actively involved" is subject to the interpretation of the officials.
Once again wikipedia has to take the credit Laughing

cdn_dram
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
Here is a list of some whisky distillers/bottlers that does not add E150a caramel colouring to their whisky. This is by no means a complete list.
    Arran
    Balblair
    Benriach
    Benromach
    Bladnoch
    Bruichladdich
    Bunnahabhain
    Deanston
    Edradour
    English Whisky Co
    Glencadam
    Glendronach
    Glenfarclas
    Glengoyne
    Glenglassaugh
    Glenrothes
    Hazelburn
    Highland Park
    Kilchoman
    Kilkerran
    Longrow
    Port Charlotte
    Macallan
    Octomore
    Springbank
    Tullibardine
I know Tobermory and Ledaig are now un-chillfiltered not sure about colouring, anyone know?

In general most single malts from independents are normally natural colour and mostly un-chillfiltered when bottled at 46% plus. Some independents have different ranges, some of which are not coloured and un-chillfiltered some are.

Here are some which i believe bottle their whisky with no added colouring or chillfiltering.
    Adelphi
    Compass Box
    Douglas Laing
    Duncan Taylor
    Mackillop's Choice
    The Whisky Exchange
    . (All TWEs independent bottlings Single Malts of Scotland, Element of Islay and Port Askaig are all natural colour and un-chillfiltered.)
There are probably loads more independents who bottle their whisky without colouring and chillfiltration.

To my knowledge the above list is accurate but if you see an error or know of any that should be on the list just post it here and i will edit the list.

I realize this is an old thread but some great info here. Does anyone have a revised list or do most of these distilleries still not add colour?
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdn_dram you were digging deep to find this post but at a glance the list I posted still stands.

There are probably a few more that should be on the list but don't come to mind at the moment, most likely indie bottlers.
cdn_dram
Triple Malt Member
Triple Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

William wrote:
cdn_dram you were digging deep to find this post but at a glance the list I posted still stands.

There are probably a few more that should be on the list but don't come to mind at the moment, most likely indie bottlers.

Good to know thank you sir.

Was wondering if Craggelachie added any either. Their 13 and 17 are ncf and look to be quite light in color so I'm not sure.
eelbrook
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to blindfold taste samples from full-sized bottles (not from samplers) of the self same batch, one with E150 and one uncoloured. I'm far from convinced that either I, or most other drinkers, would notice the difference.

Of course, such a tasting wouldn't ever happen
Bookie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the use of E150a caramel colouring demonstrated at a tasting.

They used water to demonstrate it, they added E150a to a glass of water to make it the colour you would expect to see a whisky such as Balvenie 12 Doublwood. When nosed or tasted blind everyone was able to pick out the glass of water with the E150a caramel colouring. They probably wouldn't need to add such a heavy amount to a whisky to achieve the desired colour so it would be less likely to be detectable.

Whether you can or cannot detect colouring in a whisky there is no need for it in a single malt.

larsen161

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone wanting to keep tabs on those with or without E150 just remember http://bit.ly/whiske150 and add to the list as you find other
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: