www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Books & DVD Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die Reply with quote

101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die is a new whisky book from Ian Buxton, it is simply, as it says in the title a guide to 101 whiskies that whisky enthusiasts simply must seek out and try, love them or hate them, to complete their whisky education.

You can read more about it here:
www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/101whiskiestotrybeforeyoudie.htm

I have also posted a few extracts from the book to give you a sample of the layout and style of the book. See here:
Tobermorey 15 Year Old
Woodford Reserve
Johnnie Walker Blue Label - King George V Edition

101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die is due for release 2nd September 2010 but is available to pre-order from Amazon who are currently offering a 25% discount and Free Delivery.

Visit Amazon.co.uk For More Info/Buy Now

I think this book may throw up a few surprises and may even introduce you to some whiskies that you have not considered such as the Tobermory 15 year old which i have given as a sample of what is in the book.

William

Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it may be an entertaining read as well as pointing you at some decent whiskies. I will have to get a copy to see what the other 98 whiskies are and what Ian Buxton has to say about them.
Mark
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does look worth a read even if its just to see what else Ian Buxton has on his list but i am sure it will also be entertaining as Alastair says.
Andy M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at this book in Amazon and noticed that there is a cheaper paperback version going to be released but not until april next year
Calder
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my copy of this today from amazon. An interesting list, i dont think it is intended as a "best of" whisky list, more a list of 101 varied & interesting whiskies to try before you die. i was surprised to see 4 Highland Park whiskies not that any them are bad whiskies in fact they are all excellent and would deserve to be on a "101 best of list", just surprised to see 4 on this list.

i was also surprised to see a couple from Glenglassaugh as i now ian buxton has some sort of connection with Glenglassaugh but when you read his entry for the for the Glenglassaugh the spirit drink Ian is very upfront about his input with the planning and development of this whisky or i should say spirit and as it is a list of interesting whiskies it deserves to be on the list as this Glenglassaugh spirit will give the whisky drinker a taste of what spirit tastes like before maturing into whisky.
proxy11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great....lmao...anyone has already read this book?

Newkophile
Single Malt Member
Single Malt Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a relative newcomer to the world of whisky despite my advanced age, I bought this book and have really enjoyed it. As a member noted, these whiskies are not necessarily the best 101, rather they are a cross-section of various whiskies, i.e., Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, Canadian and a few world single malts that are mostly readily available with only one or two being outrageously expensive. Also, the author has included a few whiskies that are quite popular and therefore in his opinion should be tried, e.g., Johnny Walker Black, but that are not to his taste. A few of his single malt recommendations that I have followed and for the most part agree with are: Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Aberlour A'bunadh. I also like Monkey Shoulder which is the vatted malt he recommends. Among the American whiskies that he discusses, I do like his Buffalo Trace bourbon recommendation. As far as the Scotch blends, I agree with his positive assessment of the Dewar's 12 year, but disagree with his plug for the Black Grouse. It's a fun read that I picked up rather inexpensively from Amazon.com.
albo
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newkophile wrote:
As a relative newcomer to the world of whisky despite my advanced age, I bought this book and have really enjoyed it. As a member noted, these whiskies are not necessarily the best 101, rather they are a cross-section of various whiskies, i.e., Scotch, Bourbon, Rye, Canadian and a few world single malts that are mostly readily available with only one or two being outrageously expensive. Also, the author has included a few whiskies that are quite popular and therefore in his opinion should be tried, e.g., Johnny Walker Black, but that are not to his taste. A few of his single malt recommendations that I have followed and for the most part agree with are: Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Aberlour A'bunadh. I also like Monkey Shoulder which is the vatted malt he recommends. Among the American whiskies that he discusses, I do like his Buffalo Trace bourbon recommendation. As far as the Scotch blends, I agree with his positive assessment of the Dewar's 12 year, but disagree with his plug for the Black Grouse. It's a fun read that I picked up rather inexpensively from Amazon.com.

Welcome to the forum.

My father has the book and he thinks it's an excellent read and has lead him to a number of whisky choices that he probably would never have tried without it

Hopefully we'll see some more of your comments and thoughts on whisky in the forum.
Big Mac
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of this also, i agree with albo it has probably lead me to a few i wouldnt have thought of trying, having said that this forum has lead me to many more over the years so if your you like Scotch Newkophile then you will do well to hang out here once and a while, it is a quiet easy going corner of the whisky internet with a lot of knowledge about what the good whiskies are, no matter what your price range is. Enjoy your time here.

Slainte (Cheers)
IndianaBlues
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the sequels to this, 101 World Whiskies to Try Before You Die. It's a good read, although one thing in particular made me chortle.

Under the entry for the Glenfarclas 40 years old: "Of course, if you want a ritzy box, fancy crystal decanter, handsome book, medalions, a 'certificate of authenticity' and need tasting notes by a self-styled 'superstar' whisky writer, you'll need to look elsewhere. Glenfarclas eschew these props in favour of their standard bottle and a simple tube."

My copy of this book came attached to a fancy presentation box of Glenfarclas 21 Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Books & DVD Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: