www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - suggestions for scotches to add to a lounge

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
suggestions for scotches to add to a lounge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffinspire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: suggestions for scotches to add to a lounge Reply with quote

Hello all, i recently discovered this site and am quite excited to delve into all the information and discuss my love of single malts and really whisky in general.

I'm the bar manager of a lounge here in Florida and we are trying to have one of the (if not the largest selection) in the southern United States. currently we carry...

Auchentoshan 12
Ardmore 12
Ardbeg 10
Balvenie 12,and 15
Bowmore 12
Caol Ila 12
Chivas 12 and 18
Clynelish 14
Compass Box Oak Crossing, Peat Monster, and Hedonism
Cragganmore 12
Dalmore 12, Gran Reserva, and 15
Dalwhine
Dewars 12 and 18
Glenfiddich 12, 15, 18
Glenlivet 12, 15, 18, Nadurra, and Nadurra Triumph
Glenkinchie 12
Glenmorangie Aster, Lasanta, Nectar D'or, Quinta Ruban,Signet, and Sonnalta PX
Johnny Walker Red, Black, Green, Gold, and Blue
Laphroig 10, and 15
Macallan 10, 12, and 18
Oban 14
Pebble Beach 12
Singleton 12
Speyside 12
Talisker 10 and 18
and finally Yamazaki 12.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've already begun researching Highland Park and believe we'll be adding a couple of these soon. Thanks in advance.

-nic

Samson
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nic and welcome to the SMW forum

You already have a great selection of whisky, i wish that i had a local bar with such a good selection.

You mention you plan to add Highland Park soon, both the 12 and 18 year old are excellent and i am sure will be popular with your customers. One whisky i dont see on your list is the Lagavulin 16 year old which is a smoky/peaty Islay whisky close to the character of Ardbeg and Laphroaig. Also the Highland malt Old Pulteney 12 & 17 year old.

There are loads more i am sure others will make some suggestions.

Samson
d a v e

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Laphroaig Wink

also have you tried Bruichladdich?

the Peat and Waves are particularly good
http://www.bruichladdich.com/

another recommendation of the ones i've recently tried would be Smokehead
http://www.smokehead.co.uk/

and for something a little exotic but possibly more suited to US tastes? (though i'm sure they're as varied if not more than european ones) coudl be something like http://www.suntory.com/yamazaki/main.html to behonest i haven't tried them yet but i'm going to buy the 18 year old when go to edinburgh in a couple of days Wink

EDIT: sorry just saw the yamazaki 12 at the end of the list Smile
Archer
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few for you to consider which i dont see on your list:

Aberlour 10 & Aberlour A'bunadh
Do you offer Macallan Fine Oak as well as the Macallan Sherry Oak
Old Pulteney 12 & 17 year olds
Springbank 10, Springbank 12 Year Old, Springbank 12 Year Old Cask Strength, Springbank 12 Year Old Claret Wood
Longrow CV
Hazelburn 8 or 12 year old
Ardbeg Supernova, Ardbeg Corryvreckan, Ardbeg Uigeadail

The Smokehead and Lagavulin mentioned above are both very good smoky Islay single malts.

Archer
coffinspire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we actually got a promo bottle of the bruidladdich the other day and i was surprised at the smoothness for an islay (typically i stick to the sweeter notes of the highlands). and i'm not sure how i left off the lagavulin 16, but we actually carry that as well.

for the macallans, the only fine oak we have at the moment is the 10 year. we've though about adding the 15 or 25 year but to be honest the fine oak doesn't move near as quickly as the sherry. the cask strength sherry is probably one of my favorite single malts to date.

thanks for the other suggestions and the welcome. looks like i have my work cut out for me for new products to research Smile
Alastair
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic from what i can see it looks like you have most of the popular distilleries covered, you offer a great range.

You havent listed Royal Lochnagar 12 which is a very pleasant sherried malt.

Springbank distillery which Archer mentions actually produces 3 different malts Springbank, Longrow and Hazelburn. I particularly like the Springbank 10, Longrow CV and Hazelburn 8.

Diageos Distillers Edition range of Classic Malts are also worth considering. They are all of Diageos classic malts which have spent their usual ageing process in American or European oak casks, the whiskies are then finished in casks that previously held a wine. IMO sometimes wine finishes are used to mask inferior whisky but not in the case of the Distillers Edition range of Classic Malts they are all good whiskies with quality wine cask finishes whether it be sherry, port or whatever. The good thing about them is they do not cost much more than the normal classic malt range and should offer your customers something different to what they already know they enjoy. The Distillers Editions include Oban, Talisker, Royal Lochnagar, Lagavulin, Glenkinchie, Dalwhinnie, Cragganmore, Clynelish. You will know what already sells well in the bar so you probably wouldnt go wrong with a Distillers Edition of what sells.

Another i dont see on you list is Glengoyne; my choice would be the Glengoyne 10 & 17 year old.

I hope the research involves tasting, now where do i find a job like that Question

Alastair

William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nic good to have you in the forum. Just had a look at the website for your bar, i will have to keep it in mind for the next time i am over in Florida on holiday, unfortunately no plans to visit this year.

If sherried whisky is a good seller in the bar then you may want to consider Glenfarclas they have a great range of quality sherried malts. The Glenfarclas style tends to be medium-bodied, medium-sweet, with nutty, malty, floral, honey and fruity notes. I can recommend the Glenfarclas 15, 21, 25, 30 and the new 40 year old. You will find they are very reasonably priced in fact i would say Glenfarclas is one of the best value malts on the market, especially compared to Macallan. My personal choice would be the 15, 21 and 30.
coffinspire

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fun part of all this is going to be figuring out which distributor carries these. half the time i ask about liquors and they have no idea.

but i'm very excited to try these new suggestions. typically we don't carry much ultra high end... we had a bottle of blue label king george the 5th, but the most expensive one we carry now is the glenmorangie signet.

i think my personal favorite is still the macallan 18 but there are still several i have not tried. thanks again for the suggestions.
DavidUK
Double Malt Member
Double Malt Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laphroiag Quarter Cask

Edradour (smallest distillery in Scotland) 10 yo.

Both excellent and very distintive malts.

Maybe also Jura Superstition, and I note you have made no mention of the Highland Park 12 yo which is excellent. the Highland Park 18 yo is even better but twice the price
JAB
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i would also suggest Jura Superstition, or Bowmore Tempest 10yo for being one of the best new malts and it just has such an Amazing taste.

But you are onto a winner if you pick up any Isle of Islay malts or even a few from Jura also.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we picked up the scapa 16 year this week. i must say, i was surprised at how mellow and smooth it was. i'm not sure if we'll end up getting the highland parks... we have issues with the distributor that carries it and don't really want to order anything from them Confused
Charlie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pity you cant get a hold of some Highland Park 12 & 18 as i am sure they would sell well in a bar, HP is one of those malts where you come back for more. I think the Scapa 16 is a decent enough malt but doesnt come near the quality of its Orkney Island neighbours Highland Park.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Single Malt Whisky All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: