www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Crawford's Five Star 70 proof late 1950's

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Crawford's Five Star 70 proof late 1950's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Crawford's Five Star 70 proof late 1950's Reply with quote

Nose

The nose smells leathery with a very faint hint of lime, hints of brown vinegar, the fruit is mango and nectarine but you have to look for it.
With more time in the glass more white fruit emerges hints of green apple, faint hints of smoke and even fainter hints of peat (could be phenols rather than peat?)
There is also a fresh cut wood note which I would say is mahogany in smell but is obviously in reality the oak from the casks, anyway wood is there but not a problem.

Taste

This is old, it has the fragile sweetness of an old blend, with a very faint metallic note from the spring cap but that only affects it very slightly.
The balance is good and the sweetness increases, it is sweet yellow fruits all the way coupled to a sugary creme brulee note.

Finish

The finish remains sweet but there is so much more going on, faint peat, bags of succulent fruit and that faint metallic note which knocks the finish down a point or two but still pretty good.

Re taste different bottle late 1950's.

I have always been a fan of the 1950/60's bottles of 5 Star, it has bags of quality, and tastes it's age.
A quality old timer, these are going up in price at auction, grab one while you can is my advice.
Nose

Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a brand I've haven't heard about for a very long time. Some of those oldies were memorable.
lincoln imp
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quaich1 wrote:
That's a brand I've haven't heard about for a very long time. Some of those oldies were memorable.

I have had a few bottles of the early stuff that were great, this is one of them, I saved a sample but had a 1980's one that was not so good.
I until recently purchased old blends, I am a big fan.
These couple were the first in a 40 blend H2H fact finder, also had a Marchants 1950's tonight that was also very good.
Old blends can be a bit special and I also know that the best stuff went to America and some will have got to Canada I am sure Murray.
When people say blended whisky is inferior to single malts they base that on the rubbish put out today, they might re assess things tasting stuff from the 40's, 50's, 60.'s and 70's?
Before single malts became popular, all the best Scotch went into blends after all.
Quaich1
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lincoln imp wrote:
Quaich1 wrote:

I have had a few bottles of the early stuff that were great, this is one of them, I saved a sample but had a 1980's one that was not so good.
I until recently purchased old blends, I am a big fan.
These couple were the first in a 40 blend H2H fact finder, also had a Marchants 1950's tonight that was also very good.
Old blends can be a bit special and I also know that the best stuff went to America and some will have got to Canada I am sure Murray.
When people say blended whisky is inferior to single malts they base that on the rubbish put out today, they might re assess things tasting stuff from the 40's, 50's, 60.'s and 70's?
Before single malts became popular, all the best Scotch went into blends after all.

That is so true. I did come across some of the older blends some years back here in Canada but these days less and less of it ever shows up which is a shame. SInce the LCBO has a monopoly on all whisky selling in Ontario. everythng in these stores is new contemporary popular stuff and we can't buy directly from out of the country or even out of the Province. I got spoiled when I was in Scotland in June 2019 for 2 weeks visiting about 19 distilleries. The older stuff (including blends) were in some small shops and some were mini's. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Whisky Tasting Notes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: