www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk

Whisky Forum - Waterford Unveils Single Farm Origin Series

Whisky Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Waterford Unveils Single Farm Origin Series

View previous topic :: View next topic  
William
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Waterford Unveils Single Farm Origin Series Reply with quote

Waterford Distillery has unveiled its first commercial whisky release since it went into production in January 2016, the Waterford Single Farm Origin Ballykilcavan, BannowIsland and Ratheadon Edition 1.1

More info here:

https://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/waterfordsinglefarmorigin.htm

James T
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£70 for what cant be much more than a 3 to 4 year old is a big ask even if they were to reveal what type of casks each whisky matured in before you buy it,. Aimed at collectors like most new distilleries releases I would say.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal preference. To me these are some of the worst looking whisky bottles I've seen. Other people love them. For a product that is so much about terroir and farm to bottle it is such a shame the colour of the liquid is hidden behind that hideous (to my mind) medicine bottle blue glass.
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattS wrote:
Personal preference. To me these are some of the worst looking whisky bottles I've seen. Other people love them. For a product that is so much about terroir and farm to bottle it is such a shame the colour of the liquid is hidden behind that hideous (to my mind) medicine bottle blue glass.

Kinda get what you say but there are plenty of brown or green bottles out there - do you feel the same about those? Is the colour even important in Whisky?
Brummie
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are focusing on the barley but does the malted barley really make that much of a difference to the final whisky? I would say it is the still shape and size, production process and speed at which they distill and finally the type of casks that makes the bigger more noticeable contribution to the taste of the final whisky.

I would doubt unless all three whiskies were distilled the same way, matured in the same casks for the same length of time that you could make a comparison and be able to say the differences between each whisky is due to the barley.

I doubt the type of barley makes a noticeable difference to the final whiskies if indeed they di use a different type in the production of each whisky, perhaps it was the same types just grown in different fields.
MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arqueturus wrote:
MattS wrote:

Kinda get what you say but there are plenty of brown or green bottles out there - do you feel the same about those? Is the colour even important in Whisky?

I know what you mean about the other bottle colours so I figure there's something of that blue that jars on me. Although personally I like to see the natural colour of whisky.

MattS
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brummie wrote:
They are focusing on the barley but does the malted barley really make that much of a difference to the final whisky? I would say it is the still shape and size, production process and speed at which they distill and finally the type of casks that makes the bigger more noticeable contribution to the taste of the final whisky.

I would doubt unless all three whiskies were distilled the same way, matured in the same casks for the same length of time that you could make a comparison and be able to say the differences between each whisky is due to the barley.

I doubt the type of barley makes a noticeable difference to the final whiskies if indeed they di use a different type in the production of each whisky, perhaps it was the same types just grown in different fields.

I have similar thoughts on this too. How can two farms or barleys be compared when there are so many variables. Even two casks from the same tree will surely give variation.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of detail which you would expect to know such as cask type and even a short description of taste doesn't entice me to lay out £70 for a whisky around 3 year old, they may have produced a very good whisky but it will still be a very young whisky. Did they reveal the numbers available or is that another secret Question
arqueturus
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that they're going down the same route as Bimber and Cotswolds - very long fermentation times to give much more flavour in youth.

My biggest barrier with these isn't the price or the bottle colour or the lack of information but my difficulty with the style of Irish Whiskey - it's just never clicked with me and I've yet to find one I really love.

For that alone I'd be worried I wouldn't enjoy them, even though they may be fabulous examples of Irish Single Malt Whiskey.
Grant M
Master Of Malts
Master Of Malts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a couple of bottles but all sold out fast by the looks of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Whisky Forum Index -> Irish Whiskey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: